Sorry, another liquor question

I searched this forum regarding the liquor policy and I didnt see the answer I was looking for so i need to ask. Under the new policy, is it still possible to order a bottle of some type of liquor off the in room menu and have it delivered to your stateroom? I know you cant buy it from the liquor shop and take it back to the room, but I was wondering if haveing it delivered to your room was still an option?

Thanks

So, since we are 2 days out from the cruise and I probably dont have enough time to order something from an outside company, how safe is it to put a bottle of something in my carry on and take it on the ship with me? Ive read some posts that said they had not problem, some said that it was taken from them. We are sailing Navigator on saturday out of miami.

Surest way is to place in your checked luggage (bubble-wrapped and in a plastic bag in case of leakage or breakage). Didn't see any taken away from carry-on luggage during embarkation in Miami (Navigator-Aug 20), but very much so in evidence in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman.

Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see anywhere on that site where they deliver to cruise ships.
http://www.wellwishers.com-i just had 2 cases of coors light delivered on Voyager-It was a little pricey but still cheaper than the ship and was in my room whenever i wanted a cold one to sit on the balcony and not call room service every 5 minutes.Bring a cooler bag.The Girl at wellwishers to talk to is Mandy,she does all the cruise line stuff.

I buy a lot of liquor in the bars, but I also tend to bring a bottle of whiskey or similar for sipping on the balcony. Any time I've had an actual bottle in my carryon, it's been confiscated, but both actual bottles and unmarked bottles have made it in my checked luggage unmolested. I'm not trying to bring a whole bar, though - just a little something for the room.

I just sailed out of San Juan on the Adventure. Right after you picked up your Seapass but right before you boarded the ship there was a liquor store and you could buy liquor and beer at prices equal to or cheaper than home. This (for some reason) could be carried on the ship without problem. I was in too big of a hurry to board and not being fully aware of the new liquor policy, passed this up. Several ship mates took advantage of the store and kept almost full bars out in their staterooms. I bought a bottle of scotch in St. Marteen placed in my carry on, it was spotted by x-ray and promptly confiscated until the Saturday before the end of the cruise. I then remembered a post from another seasoned cruiser and in Antigua bought two bottles, placed one in a shopping bag, and the other in my backpack. When my bags were going through the scanner, the tech called out "liquor", I retrieved my bags, walked to the "Table" and gave them the shopping bag with one bottle, kept the other bottle in my carry on and proceded to the room without a problem. The tech manning the scanner just notices that you do go to turn in liquor but does not watch how many you turn in.:D

I just got off Radiance and they didn't bat an eyelash at bringing booze on board from port. I only did it at the last port but talked to people that said they brought it on board in every port. One of the screeners even asked them where the party was. Maybe they are just sick of being in Alaska and don't care. So many conflicting reports on the liquor issue.....

I have packed booze in my checked luggage for many cruises.

I usually slip it up the leg of a pair of jeans, wrap the jeans around it, and make sure that it is centered in my luggage (i.e. clothes all around it.

Bring along a flask or an empty water bottle (for filling) and you are in buisness!

We are cruising the mexican riviera and my booze plan is:

1 big bottle of Maakers Mark Whisky

1 large watter bottle

1 smaller water bottle

both empty (i.e. drink the water, squeeze out the air, then pack)

1,2 tubs of crystal light lemonade

Once on board have room steward clear out fridge because I wont be purchasing anything.

Use big empty water bottle to make lemonade, put it in fridge

When I am ready to drink I will just mix my drink in the smaller waer bottle and place that in my tote bag and carry it with me around the ship. I can always ask for a glass with ice at any bar or eatery!

Did this through panama and it worked great! We had a $600 sea pass bill for a 2 week cruise (mind you I bought a fendi purse) and always were able to have drinks!

Was on Enchantment last Sept., and could buy it in liquor store onboard, pay a $10.00 extra fee, and take it back to room. Not sure if its the policy for all ships though.

Can't do that any more, entire fleet now does not let you buy and carry back to room; instead held to day b4 disembarkation.

:) Number one: The wine and booz prices exeed acceptable levels for a duty-free ship. The wine packages are the pits. They say that the wine does not travel well. Right, but other cruise lines have great wones at more reasonable pricies.

With RCi and Celebrety, we slip a bottle or two of hard stuff in the luggage. I tip our waiter a $20 on the first night. They never charged me a corking fee. I was only charged in the specialty restaurants. I buy ALL of my wine of ship. We have no problem bringing it on board. We have enjoyed many French and Italian wines costing over $100US in NA for a third the price on board. While in Europe, try to shop at the grocery stores. The wine prices for premium wines cost a third. In Rome, I bought a 1998 DOCG Chianti for all of 12E at a bar! Or in Antibes, a 1996 Grand Chablis for all of 16E. Both wines would cost me 3X at a local liquor store!

In the Med, there are no problems to bring on board hard liquor. They are much more difficult in the Carib. It must have to do with some of the underaged Americans.

The Lone Canadian,

DT10L

have quart size plastic bottles that are 3" thick & 8" long 6" wide with plastic lid, so it is never seen on radar. We bring Baileys & Grey Goose. In fact to make sure, we each have one in a plastic zip loc with toothbrushes & paste. So they think it is mouthwash.........

I buy a lot of liquor in the bars, but I also tend to bring a bottle of whiskey or similar for sipping on the balcony. Any time I've had an actual bottle in my carryon, it's been confiscated, but both actual bottles and unmarked bottles have made it in my checked luggage unmolested. I'm not trying to bring a whole bar, though - just a little something for the room.

this is our 3rd cruise coming up in december. i don't drink at all and my husband likes wine and beer. we are traveling with another family with similar tastes. just how expensive would a bottle of wine be at dinner? if they know that they are going to consume a bottle easily every night. im just curious. also, since we're all staying next to each other and have balcony cabins, i would imagine that any way that they can "hide" some wine in the luggage would be a good idea. here's a silly question......where do we hide the cork screw?

this is our 3rd cruise coming up in december. i don't drink at all and my husband likes wine and beer. we are traveling with another family with similar tastes. just how expensive would a bottle of wine be at dinner? if they know that they are going to consume a bottle easily every night. im just curious. also, since we're all staying next to each other and have balcony cabins, i would imagine that any way that they can "hide" some wine in the luggage would be a good idea. here's a silly question......where do we hide the cork screw?

I can't give you exact prices, but here's a good way to gauge the wine prices on RCI: Find a bottle of wine in the store, say it's a middle of the road nice $15 bottle, now multiply that by 400% (yes, you read that correctly). RCI's typical markup is anywhere from 300% to 500%. So that $5 Beringer White Zin (lots of people seem to like it) costs (as has been reported) somewhere between $22 and $26 onboard. Bring it yourself, pay the $12 corkage fee in the dining room (no fee if it's for your balcony) and you still come out ahead. It just depends on whether you want to schlepp wine with you.

Now, we live in one of CA's premier wine regions and have friends who are award winning vintners. (Geez, I just realized I sound like I'm bragging--I don't mean to, I'm just trying to give you an idea of my perspective.) We always bring our own wine for the balcony (oh yes, that is so incredibly wonderful) and for the dining room. We've never brought more than 8 bottles total on a 7-night cruise with 4 of us (2 cabins, all adults). We do not smuggle it; we do not hide it. We pack it in an airline-approved checked luggage box and check it at the airport and again at the pier. It is clearly labeled. We have never had a problem with it being delivered to our cabins.

We've also brought on a bottle or two in carry-on (well wrapped or in a single/double wine box) with no problem. Many pax wrap it in bubble wrap and plastic ziplocks or between clothes in their checked luggage. I'm simply not willing to take the chance of breakage. No matter how banged up those airline boxes get, the wine is safe and sound (except for being shaken up--suffice it to say that we do not bring our "aging" or truly special wines; just good quality everyday wines). Also, we bring wines that are not available on the RCI wine list (this is one of the things they mention about bringing your own).

If your DH and the other wine drinkers in your party like really good wines, then I recommend bringing some of their favorites. I do not recommend bringing cases--that's way over the line, IMO. We always figure: 1 bottle per day for the 4 of us is reasonable. Sometimes it's on the balcony before dinner; sometimes we take it (unopened) to dinner and let our waiter take care of it. We usually have others drinks (like maybe a drink of the day or a beer) in the afternoon, so 1 bottle of wine in the evening suits us perfectly.

And you can pack your corkscrew in your checked bags, but usually your steward will be happy to bring you a corkscrew and wine glasses and ice down your white wine if requested.

I know I gave you much more than you asked for, but I figure that if you decide to bring your own, the more info, the better.

(BTW, you are sure to get many opinions on this. The RCI policy, as we've been told by C&A and by onboard staff such as the captain and matre'd, is that bringing wine they don't carry onboard and in a reasonable amount is acceptable.)

Have a great cruise.:D

beachchick

your answer was EXACTLY what i needed to know. not being a person who imbibes (yeah i know... i don't know what i'm missing) this was never an issue and my poor husband had to drink alone... a glass here a glass there. now that we're traveling with another family and they are wine drinkers as well..... i wanted to get the whole picture and you gave it to me. thanks again.....i COMPLETELY understand my options now.

p.s. you were not bragging about your friends just being proud!!! and it is very cool

cruzobsessed: I'm so glad you found my post useful. Yes, I am proud of our friends. And no, I would never say "you don't know what you're missing." Nothing at all wrong with choosing not to drink. My DH doesn't drink at all and my mom drinks only a teeny, tiny sip of dessert wine about 3 times a year. In fact, I don't even have a glass of wine every night at home. On a cruise, well, that's a different story...a glass of wine every night is a wonderful thing (sometimes I even have two) :D.

beachchick

Archived