Mercury - Condition of Interior?

world1a

Is the interior of the Celebrity Mercury looking worn and aged?

I read a review (not on Cruise Critic) by a woman who had sailed 6 times on the Mercury and she said the interior is looking old and worn. She was disappointed that Celebrity will not improve the appearance of the ship’s interior and said she will not sail on the Mercury again. This review was written February, 2005.

Recent Cruise Critic reviews of the Mercury’s 2005 Alaska cruises don’t mention this.

The Mercury was to be refurbished this Fall and that has been put off until 2008.

Is the interior of the Celebrity Mercury looking worn and aged?

I read a review (not on Cruise Critic) by a woman who had sailed 6 times on the Mercury and she said the interior is looking old and worn. She was disappointed that Celebrity will not improve the appearance of the ship’s interior and said she will not sail on the Mercury again. This review was written February, 2005.

Another one of these 'does the ship look tired and worn out' threads? Sorry, I don't mean to be unfriendly. This type of thread has popped up before, and is usually not born out by the facts from recent cruisers who's ship has been reported as 'worn' . Celebrity usually does a good job of keeping things in ship shape.

That said, I could let you know soon, because we are headed for Mercury this coming Monday.

I would consider a review from Feb of 2005 quite dated. There is probably more recent information available right here on CC.

I'll let you know when I get back. We sail on her on Monday. I have to say I am not at all worried about the condition of the ship having read reports last year of Galaxy being tired and worn, which she wasn't. There are plenty of positive reviews out there too and those are the ones I take with me in my mind.

Phil

I'll let you know when I get back. We sail on her on Monday.

Phil,

I'm sure we'll find that she's an aging, past her peak, rust bucket. Ready to be scuttled! But, we'll look past that and have a great time.

What's on the iPod?

Tom

We were on Mercury 2 weeks ago and thought she looked fine. I agree about the elevators being a little banged up but it doesn't take much for that to happen and it was not awful. The public rooms looked great. Our cabin was ok, definitely clean and acceptable. The shower and sink had some small stains but,again, not awful. I do hope they replace the orange bedspreads. They ARE awful. It's obvious Mercury is not new but then neither is my home and I like to think it looks pretty good.

Have a great time. Mercury is a very comfortable ship.

These threads do show up with suspicous regularity. There was an almost identical one shortly before we sailed. Someone fishing for compliments, perhaps?:rolleyes:

In any case, the Mercury is in fine shape, or was when we left her...

Have fun, Phil, Tom and Joy! :D

Susan

We were on Mercury in September and thought she was in great shape. The exception was the worn condition of the elevators. The art is another story.

I agree that the elevators - both aesthetically and functionally - have seen better days. I cruised on Mercury early this month.

The cabins were also in need of refitting. The bathroom sinks were brown and cracked in my stateroom and the two others in our group. Mattresses need to be replaced as do pillows and bedcoverings.

Most of the public areas looked very good. SHe is very clean.

The only other area that really stood out as old and outdated was the fitness center. Way too small and cramped for that size ship.

I didn’t mean to irritate anyone and I’m not part of any “worn & torn” conspiracy. In fact I just registered this morning on Cruise Critic.

I haven’t taken a cruise in a dozen years. My travel agent was pushing Princess and I liked what I was reading about Celebrity. She told me that the Mercury was refurbished last month. I found nothing on the internet confirming that work had been completed and had the agent re-check what she had told me. Her supervisor then told her that the Mercury work was cancelled until 2008 and instead the Constellation (or some Caribbean ship) would be refurbished (costing $55 million).

I found the February 2005 “worn & torn” review on another cruise website.

Even at cruisreviews.com you can find recent cruisers that love the ship (http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Mercury46.htm) and others that didn’t (http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Mercury42.htm). Others thought the ship was fine but didn’t live up the Celebrity premium-hype (http://www.epinions.com/content_203687038596).

Celebrity had plans to refurbish the ship. A six-time Mercury cruiser thought that was necessary last February. This conflicted with the wonderful reviews I recently discovered here at Cruise Critic. So I registered and posted an innocent question that, given all the conflicting information, I had a valid reason to ask.

With what I know now I’ll reserve a spot on the Mercury next summer. Thanks to all who responded.

FYI: Celebrity just responded to my email of 10/25/05 explaining that the Mercury was last refurbished 9/15/02.

I sailed the Mercury in September and although a nice ship, she was definitely showing signs of wear and tear. Elevator floors as other's have mentioned were quite scuffy. Mattresses were bad - honestly the worst I've seen on any of the 8 ships I've sailed recently. But, you can ask for an eggcrate (and do so as soon as you board as there aren't enough for everyone) to make the bed more comfy.

I sailed both the Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess this year as well and those ships are in tip top shape and spit and polished. But, they are practically brand new. The Mercury is about 10 years old I if recall correctly. If I compare her to the last 10 year old ship I sailed, the Carnival Inspiration, Mercury wins hands down (except for the mattresses). I think of the Carnival Inspiration as an old tin can (sorry to those of you who enjoy that ship but honestly, it was by far the one in the worse shape of any I've sailed).

I just got off the Mercury a week ago and, in my opinion, the interior of the ship definitely does not look old and worn. The condition of the interior was not perfect but, considering the age of the ship and the number of passengers that have sailed on her, the Mercury is in very good condition. I'm pretty picky but after reading some of the negative reviews posted here and elsewhere, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the condition of the ship was.

I didn't notice the floors of the elevators, although I should have since I was constantly averting my eyes from the image of myself in all of the mirrors in the elevators. :eek: They could change that tomorrow!!

When I sailed on the Infinity she was just over one year old and looked brand new. The Mercury doesn't look brand new, but she also doesn't look that old.

You'll have a great time on her next summer, her crew is fantastic!

Susan

Mercury's our favorite ship. We were most recently onboard for the 8/26/05 Alaska cruise. Only disturbing sights I saw (both detailed in my review as posted in the CC reviews section) were the wooden floor section of the T-pool area and women's changing room taken apart for maintenance way too early on the last night of the cruise, and letters missing in the Palm Springs Pool/Grill area signage. Can't comment on the elevator situation since I try to avoid those onboard ... the secret "how not to gain too much weight on the cruise: walk, walk, walk!" plan. Overall, I think Mercury's an awesome ship & you are likely to have a fabulous time -- TR

I sailed the Mercury in September and although a nice ship, she was definitely showing signs of wear and tear. Elevator floors as other's have mentioned were quite scuffy. Mattresses were bad - honestly the worst I've seen on any of the 8 ships I've sailed recently. But, you can ask for an eggcrate (and do so as soon as you board as there aren't enough for everyone) to make the bed more comfy.

Can you get a mattress pad even if you're in a standard oceanview room?

What exactly do you ask for?

Thanks!!! (13 more days!!!!!)

Guest pinkburro

we sailed the mercury on a 4 nite just a few weeks ago and didn't see anything in her condition to complain about, but then we weren't looking to find anything to complain about. as in any aspect of life, if you want to find fault, you will. its about perspective. we sailed the caribbean last march and after, i found a review of the same cruise on the same date that was exactly the opposite of what we would have said in every aspect. i take the great reviews and the terrible reviews with a few grains of salt. happy cruising everyone!!!

MarcieandTerrie - you can ask your room steward for either an egg crate or pad to put on your mattress. Either way, the steward will know what you're talking about. We were in Ocean View cabins and were able to get one for my mother and father-in-law. We asked on the second day, after trying to sleep the night before, and the steward could only get her hands on 2. Since it was my in-laws 50th, we let them have the pads and they were quite thankful.

I suggest you ask for them right away as there aren't enough for everyone.

we sailed the mercury on a 4 nite just a few weeks ago and didn't see anything in her condition to complain about, but then we weren't looking to find anything to complain about. as in any aspect of life, if you want to find fault, you will. its about perspective. we sailed the caribbean last march and after, i found a review of the same cruise on the same date that was exactly the opposite of what we would have said in every aspect. i take the great reviews and the terrible reviews with a few grains of salt. happy cruising everyone!!!

I don't agree that it is all about perspective and that those who comment regarding things that need to be improved and just looking to find fault.

The OP asked a direct question about the condition of the ship. The elevators are worn, the sinks are stained and the mattresses, pillows and case goods are sorely in need of replacement. This is the reality of the condition of the ship.

Did this ruin my cruise? Absolutely not! I really enjoyed the Mercury. I would probably not cruise on her again, however, because there are things I enjoy about M class that would say that decision.

IMO, Mercury is a value priced offering for X and that is evidenced in several areas.

We've been on Mercury in April and she is in very fine condition. My husband (for whom it was the first cruise with X) even commented how great and new cabin looked. All other areas were in great condition too.

Archived