Where will Crown Princess depart from?

cotomom

Brooklyn IS New York City. Brooklyn is one of NYC's 5 boroughs (and each borough is an individual county in NYS). You will still pass the Status of Liberty coming in, but you will dock about 20-30 minutes sooner. However, unless you live in Brooklyn, convenience is something that's yet to be seen. But, since the Manhattan terminal is such a nightmare, just about anything might be an improvement.

Yeah, I have been looking forward to this Ship coming to NY, I really hope they change it to the Manhattan port.

I am curious why you prefer Manhatten pier? I thought it was a nightmare last month when we disembarked there.

Since they are doing renovations to Red Hook - hopefully that will make it a better pier.

We will be going out on "Crown" on Sept.21st. The terminal in Brooklyn is suppose to be brand new. Have gone out of Manhattan and its an nightmare. Too much traffic coming and going off the ships. Not too thrilled with Cape Liberty,NJ either with the Paint over spray on cars in Parking Lot from adjacent Bayonne Drydock Co. Had to cover our car as a precaution before our cruise in Sept. Looking forward to new terminal. Everybody sailing on the new "Crown" enjoy!!!!!

What do you mean first cruise is Sept 30th??? We are booked on July 11th on the Crown out of Red Hook.....are you saying we might go out of Manhattan instead on that date??? That would work better for us since we are staying a couple extra days in NYC before the cruise...

Thanks for any new info you have...

Madelinerose,

We sailed Princess 14 times and every cruise was a delightful experience. Food was very good, Service was excellent in the Dining Room and around the Ship. This Ship will be just beautiful. I was on Her Sister Ship the Caribbean Princess this past March and out of 49 cruises total found it to be our most memorable. We may sail Her again this coming Feb. or March as We enjoyed Her so much. Hope You have a great time and Cruise. Ike

Is any public transportation available from Penn Station in NY to the Red Hook Piers? We loved leaving from NYC because we could just wheel our luggage from Penn Station to the Port.

Thanks!

A or C train to Jay St then B 61 south to Van Brunt ST

Call Travel Information 718 330-1234

6 AM to 10 PM, 7 days a week

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/pdf/tacur.pdf

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/pdf/tccur.pdf

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b061cur.pdf

A little additional info. Wanderingjew has it correct. However, at this point in time, I would NOT recommend public transportation to the Brooklyn terminal. The terminal is located in a "depressed" neighborhood, although I expect that things will improve as time goes by (but maybe not immediately). That being said, from Penn Station, take the "A" or "C" train southbound in the Brooklyn direction. Note that, while the "A" and "C" trains leave from the same station, they are situated on different platforms. You are more likely to get a seat on the "C" train. Therefore, my recommendation is to head for the "C" train, and board near the middle of the train (there are elevators from the station level to platform level near the middle of the train); if an "E" train comes first, you can take that to West 4th Street (best choice), where the "A", "C" and "E" trains all utilize the same platform, and change trains. (The "E" train doesn't go to Brooklyn.) Continue via the "A" or "C" trains to Jay Street/Boro Hall (about 12minutes riding time from Penn Station), the 2nd stop in Brooklyn. Use the exit near the center of the station, go up the stairs (sorry ... platforms not handicap accessible) to the mezzanine, exit, and the up the escalator to Willoughby Street. A stop for the B-61 bus is located on the corner as you exit. The B-61 bus does not travel via a very direct route; figure about 20-25 minutes for the 2 mile trip. Ask the driver where you should get off. At this writing, the bus stop is 1-2 blocks away from the terminal; I would expect this to change once things get going. In the reverse direction, upon arriving at Jay Street/Boro Hall station, there are 3 lines. The "A" and "C" lines are located on the center tracks, while the "F" line is located against the walls. You can use the "F" for the Rockefeller Center area attractions; however, you need the "A" or "C" trains to Penn Station (or the Port Authority Bus Terminal). Review the links that wanderingjew specified for other useful information.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think Manhattan terminal was a nightmare. But we only stopped for the day on the Sea Princess on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. The problem with Manhattan is that it can't handle the size of the Star and the Crown.

"Today's mega-sized cruise ships have outgrown the piers on Manhattan, so the Big Apple is making room for them in nearby Brooklyn. The Queen Mary 2 and two Princess Cruises ships will cruise from Brooklyn in 2006. The QM2 offers the only regularly scheduled transatlantic cruise service, and will also make cruises to Canada and New England from Brooklyn. Princess Cruises' Star Princess and Crown Princess will sail to the Caribbean and Canada from the new terminal."

http://news.ucwe.com/content/view/981/2/

I didn't think Manhattan terminal was a nightmare. But we only stopped for the day on the Sea Princess on our way to Ft. Lauderdale. http://news.ucwe.com/content/view/981/2/

It was a nightmare when I was there in October on the Golden. I have never seen as disorganized disembarkment as I have in Manhatten. Glad they are moving!

Maybe because it was just a stop for you and you didn't have to deal with luggage and disembarking. Were there other ships in port when you stopped?

Hi John...love your info, so I hope you don't mind another question.

We may be Amtraking it to Penn Station the night before our cruise, rather than the morning of. If so, I am thinking of booking Embassy Suites in Battery Park or the Millenium Hilton. I'm assuming a taxi would take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel to the port, correct?

Thanks, again. ;)

p.s. The Brooklyn Marriott's rate for September 2 is $319 on many sites. Waaay outta line, imho.

Brooklyn IS New York City...

To madelinerose ... the lower-Manhattan (downtown) hotels are no more than 10 minutes away from the Brooklyn terminal, via taxi through the Brooklyn-Battery tunnel. The Brooklyn Marriott is sort-of pricing itself out of the tourist market; but, it's the only place in town (currently) for the business traveler, and it's always full. The lower Manhattan hotels are good; but, lower Manhattan is really quiet after dark, with very few restaurants to choose from. It's too bad that lower Manhattan is on the decline now, but it has always been a business only area, which goes to sleep when the offices close.

To w0kie ... the current midtown Manhattan terminal is fine if only 1-2 medium-sized ships are in port on a given day. But, anything more than that, and it becomes a traffic nightmare, with inadequate taxis to get people where they are going, and insufficient long-shoremen to handle the amount of luggage being off-loaded (as well as supplies being re-plenished for the next cruise).

p.s. The Brooklyn Marriott's rate for September 2 is $319 on many sites. Waaay outta line, imho.

The hotels in Manhatten were running $4xx the weekend we were there in October. It was ridiculous.

I have friends going Dec 10th to Manhatten for Christmas shopping and they are paying $370/night.

The times of inexpensive NYC hotels may be gone......

We haven't been to New York before and really know nothing about it (confession of someone who knows NY is on the east coast and not a lot more). We are meeting up in NY - brother will be flying in from Britain and I'll be coming from Canada so we'll probably be flying into different airports and will meet up at the hotel.

Now to the point of the post - as we don't know where to stay what would you recommend. In the Caribbean brochure they are only showing 2 hotels - Marriott at Brooklyn Bridge (is that convenient to Red Hook?) and the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers in Manhattan. Both seem pricey if you look at the fact Princess are asking for a per person cost. Having said that location is going to be important. We are going to be going 3-4 days prior to sailing so we can see the sights (Statue of Liberty etc all the tourist things) - where is the best borough to be for that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dorothy (in snowy Kamloops, BC)

Thanks, John....Aware of how quiet it will be. Both hotels are up there on the Trip Advisor list, not that their reviews are gospel, but....I can get either for $229 or so. We'll just hang out in the Village rather than Midtown, which we pretty much know inside and out. ;)

Coral...How right you are! Over the past few years, the cheapest prices we've found were $285 for LeParker Meridien (which was probably a fluke - love it there) and last year was $265 for the Westin Times Square (very nice also - large rooms for NY and we love those Heavenly beds). We usually visit in mid-late April.

Imho, your friends were lucky to get something for $370 during this time of the year. We avoid Manhattan like the plague during the Holidays because you just can't move, get a taxi, dine at your favorite restaurants or (again, imho) enjoy the city as much as we love to.

Archived