Capri vs cropped Pants?

I Luv Crusin

The difference between capris and cropped pants is the length. Capris come just under the knee a bit and cropped usually stop just short of the ankle.

Being 5'8", I"m no authority of whether they look good on a shorter person, but I have certainly seen them a lot worn with heeled shoes.

I don't care much for cropped...I just think they look like someone's pants are too short....or as we used to say..." they're ready for a flood"

The difference between capris and cropped pants is the length. Capris come just under the knee a bit and cropped usually stop just short of the ankle.

Being 5'8", I"m no authority of whether they look good on a shorter person, but I have certainly seen them a lot worn with heeled shoes.

I don't care much for cropped...I just think they look like someone's pants are too short....or as we used to say..." they're ready for a flood"

Depends on which catalog you are buying from what they are called-look at New Port News Chadwicks etc. and you will seee them called something differant on each page and the model wearing them they are hitting all differant lengths.

Plus a woman that is 5' 10" will look differant then a woman who is 5'4". I should know. I have a pantsuit which I considered crop pants-( a couple of inches above tha ankle) that I wore on one cruise to dinner. I saw another woman close to 6 feet tall who had on the exact same pantsuit. On her it hit mid calve.

I like those that just hit slightly above the ankle as I never have to have them hemmed,that aspet of them, but that length seems to make me look short and dumpy and over weight. When they hit mid calve-just a couple more inches shorter-they look best on me.

Some too will just hit slightly below the knee. As a kid we called those pedal pushers. Those look okay on me and I do wear them that length-but I consider them daywear and not dinnerwear on a cruiseship-to me if they are only a few inches longer then shorts-then they are more in the shorts catagory- I will wear the longer length to dinner.

I'm 5'8" but my mother is 5'3" and I buy her clothes (she's 83 and I find it easier to buy her clothes and let her try them on at home); I tend to think she looks better in a cropped pant.

I don't own any Capri pants myself; I either wear Burmuda shorts or long pants and/or cropped pants.

The previous posters are right, capris are shorter than croppped. I think it also depends on the shape of your leg. My mom has muscular calves that just look chunky if she wears cropped pants. The same rule kind of applies to skirt length, it should never end at the fullest part of your calf. I think its best to buy them from the store instead of a catalog. You really need to try on many different styles to see what make your legs look the best. Also keep in mind what type of shoe you prefer. I think that makes a difference too. Some styles look better with a slight heel.

Since you are short, don't wear them with shoes that cut you off at the top of the foot (including sneakers), a strap across the foot or ankle straps.

By wearing flip flops or pumps, it will elongate your legs instead of cutting them off.

Does that make sense?

The following is a professional model (at least 5'9 and probably taller) and see how it cuts her off at the leg?

p11049766_ph_hero.jpg

Now see how the following picture elongates the wearer.

B000CPIP14.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That's a good point about shoes not cutting you off at the ankle. I'm 5'3" and have both cropped and capri pants. I guess I like both on me but I always wear them with flip-flops. I'd try them and go shopping with someone who'll be honest with you about what looks best.

Since you are short, don't wear them with shoes that cut you off at the top of the foot (including sneakers), a strap across the foot or ankle straps.

By wearing flip flops or pumps, it will elongate your legs instead of cutting them off.

Does that make sense?

The following is a professional model (at least 5'9 and probably taller) and see how it cuts her off at the leg?

p11049766_ph_hero.jpg

Now see how the following picture elongates the wearer.

B000CPIP14.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

JMHO,

I think the navy blue cropped pants are way too big. The cropped pants I've gotten aren't so wide; I would never wear those pants and I'm 5'8". Plus those pleats need to go. IMO both of these examples are horrible. Not that it really matters but those flip flops don't even fit the model.

BOTH of those pants are HORRIBLE. I'd never let any friend of mine go out wearing something that hideous. I never used to be a fan of capris until I lost weight, and even now they have to be very close fitting, and below the calf - closer to the ankle.

As far as the terminology - everyone has their own opinions as to what "cropped" and "capris" mean. To me, "cropped" referrs to ANY pant that is shorter than a normal pant length. Specific lengths are indicated by capri (just above the ankle, preferrably with a slit), clam diggers (mid-calf - very unflattering except on slender calves) and pedal pushers (just below the knee - also not very flattering on heavy legs).

The previous posters are right, capris are shorter than croppped. I think it also depends on the shape of your leg. My mom has muscular calves that just look chunky if she wears cropped pants. The same rule kind of applies to skirt length, it should never end at the fullest part of your calf. I think its best to buy them from the store instead of a catalog. You really need to try on many different styles to see what make your legs look the best. Also keep in mind what type of shoe you prefer. I think that makes a difference too. Some styles look better with a slight heel.

I find that true of all clothing. i always have to try things on-even if I am familiar with the brand and style-sometimes they are sized differantly. I rarely catalog shop-because 9 times out of 10 I end up sending things back and that is a pain-to go to the post office etc.

I like my capris hitting mid calve-it is more the cropped pant as some of you say-that I dislike-when it is just a couple of inches above my ankle-back when I was a kid we called that "high waters"-I look short and dumpy and like I bought the pants too short.

One thing though on QVC one day they had a model in what they called "cropped pants" and not capris-they hit mid calve on this model- but then the gal was also about 5'10" -so maybe the pants were just too short on her. But in my mind cropped pants are those that hit just above the ankle. Capris hit mid calve and clam diggers are those that come slightly below the knee- (what we used to call pedal pushers) but like I said-you look in one of these mail order catalogs and on each page they are called something differant.

I don't care for either pants but was trying to make a point about paying attention to your shoes.

I had never thought about shoes so much. i usally have on a pair of slide sandals when I wear capris.

I personally do not like capris on young women. Capris tend to make the butt look bigger which I like for me. Now my butt is small for the rest of me, (thick around the middle) so I actually look better in capris then shorts-except for the high water or cropped pants length.

BlueHerons, Thanks for the chuckle!:eek: !

The first pants, well, if a model looks that fat and dumpy in a pair of pants, just think of what it would do to the average woman. And those shoes....the stylist needs to look for another line of work.

The second choice, excuse me, but could you make up your mind? Do you want a tie at the waist or at the hem? Oh, you want both!! Would you like a huge pocket to make your hips look larger, or huge pockets at the thighs to make them look larger? Oh, you want both!!

I guess you can have it all :) .

You made a good point, though, if these pants look this horrid on models, well....

Capris or cropped, it depends on what I'm doing. For work, I wear capris in the spring, easier to move around in. While I wear cropped, they're usually part of a linen set and don't look a thing like the photos (I hope ;) ).

I cannot wait until the gaucho pants fad has faded, now those look absolutely horrid even on mannequins. The trouble is, I see a lot of them, I try to keep my eyes up and walk on by, notice the persons eyes instead.

BlueHerons, Thanks for the chuckle!:eek: !

The first pants, well, if a model looks that fat and dumpy in a pair of pants, just think of what it would do to the average woman. And those shoes....the stylist needs to look for another line of work.

The second choice, excuse me, but could you make up your mind? Do you want a tie at the waist or at the hem? Oh, you want both!! Would you like a huge pocket to make your hips look larger, or huge pockets at the thighs to make them look larger? Oh, you want both!!

I guess you can have it all :) .

You made a good point, though, if these pants look this horrid on models, well....

Capris or cropped, it depends on what I'm doing. For work, I wear capris in the spring, easier to move around in. While I wear cropped, they're usually part of a linen set and don't look a thing like the photos (I hope ;) ).

I cannot wait until the gaucho pants fad has faded, now those look absolutely horrid even on mannequins. The trouble is, I see a lot of them, I try to keep my eyes up and walk on by, notice the persons eyes instead.

I like the gauchos with boots, but I don't like them with leg showing. I remember them back in high school. At that time Big Valley was on TV and gauchos always reminded me of "Audra" (Linda Evans) in her split skirts for horse back riding.

I have seen them done for formal wear-but to me they should be casual with boots and on younger women-so you will never see me in gauchos on "formal night" or any other night. No palazzo pants either-not for me.

Beleive it or not the first pair are by Micheal Kors I think and retail for about $595!!

They would have looked much better with a different colored shirt and brown stiletto boots.

What was that stylist thinking?

Agree 100%.

Jane

I don't like the gauchos either. I never thought when capris first came out that I'd wear them. But I know I'll never wear gauchos...they just haven't been flattering on anyone that I've seen wearing them.

My Mom bought me a pair a gauchos type pants (skirt, whatever!) about 32 years ago when I was a (early) teen! Never again.

I am also 5-3, though I lie and say 5-4. I've found that cropped pants just look like regular pants that are too short. I do wear capris that come to just below the knee. Also, several designers and magazines are showing shorts that come to just above the knee for this spring/summer. If I buy cropped pants, I have them hemmed so they are mid or low calf.

As far the pictures, I wouldn't wear the Michael Kors or the jeans, just beacuse they're not quite my style and I'm too petite. However, I have seen people wear gauchos and look lovely and even chic doing so. Mostly these have been women I would guess in their early 20s to early 30s. I have seen them worn both in casual and dressy/business settings.

Oh, come on, now, ladies -- those gaucho pants are cute -- on 13 year old, size 4 girls with toothpick legs. For the rest of us, however, they are pretty well hideous.

Being barely 5', cropped pants have no place in my wardrobe -- they'd be regular pants for me. I do love petite capris though. And I agree with a previous poster: be careful of the shoes you choose. I don't care for the flip-flops (unless the capris in question are ultra-casual jean type, such as the too-many-pockets example in the picture), but a pair of cute slide sandles is perfect.

Oh, come on, now, ladies -- those gaucho pants are cute -- on 13 year old, size 4 girls with toothpick legs. For the rest of us, however, they are pretty well hideous.

Being barely 5', cropped pants have no place in my wardrobe -- they'd be regular pants for me. I do love petite capris though. And I agree with a previous poster: be careful of the shoes you choose. I don't care for the flip-flops (unless the capris in question are ultra-casual jean type, such as the too-many-pockets example in the picture), but a pair of cute slide sandles is perfect.

Maybe that is my problem with the cropped length of pants. I am 5'4" so not tall- just average-so maybe they come just a little too long on me and that is why they look like highwaters and kind've stupid looking. I do like those that hit mid calve-that is a nice length for me and I also wear them with slide sandals. The clamdigger length works great for me and looks much better then shorts-shorts emphaisize my thick middle and so do the cropped longer length of capris but the clam digger and mid calve lengths look nice on me. Now I still look like a middlaged woman but at least not a dumpy thick middled middle aged woman.

Archived