Where's the best place for dinner in San Juan now?

NAHA

My DH and I were last in San Juan in 2002. We went to the Parrot Club for dinner, dining on the rooftop terrace. We enjoyed the food and the atmoshphere of the terrace.

Is this still a good place to eat? Or, what else is available? We are looking for a place with a subdued atmosphere, no loud music, good food, good service, tropical...

Thank you for your help!

I have to say our favorite place when we spent a week in San Juan was the Parrot Club:) I forget the name of it, but the same owners have one across the street that specializes in seafood and it's supposed to be very good also.

The place across the street is called "Dragonfly". A little more Asian in its cuisine.

To the OP, you sure you were at the Parrot Club?? As I remember they have the main restaurant and then up a short flight of stairs in the back will bring you to an outdoor terrace -- tables, palm trees, stucco walls of the buildings surrounding it, etc. I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative, but it'd be pretty hard to mistake their outdoor section for a rooftop terrace!

The restaurant directly across from the Sheraton OSJ, called Mufongo’s, I believe, was very good.

No offense taken, Richard, but when we looked up, all we saw was sky ~ and the front of the building was on one side. It appeared to me to be a terrace on the rooftop of the back part of the building, Non the less, yes, that is the place. There was structure above us, but I think it just supported some lights and canopies which were rolled open in case of rain.

Yes, there were also buildings all around us.

Thanks for your opinions. Just wanted to be sure it was still a good place.

Naha,

I dined at the Parrot Club last March. It was EXCELLENT!! Can hardly wait to go there again on my next visit to OSJ.

Was not aware there was a rooftop terrace there, but will most definitely check it out on my next visit.

Annie

We really enjoy Parrot Club - we've eaten there several times, lunch and dinner, and can also heartily recommend Ropa Vieja, on the Candado. It's authentic Cuban and Puerto Rican cuisine, and a little less expensive than the Parrot Club.

Jodi

I'll be going to SJ as well and have been reading restaurant reviews. I've got the Parrot Club on my list of places to go, as well as La Mallorquina, which, from what I can tell, is excellent, too. Of course, since I haven't been there, I can't make any recommendations. I did find the website for Parrot Club tho, and it has several photos, inside and out, which might help you confirm that this is the place you are talking about. Also includes the menu!

http://oofrestaurants.com/parrotclub/about.htm

NAHA, if you don't mind getting out of Old San Juan, try Ajilli Mojilli (sp?). It's in the Condado area - a cab ride, but not a long cab ride. It was wonderful and, maybe, what you're looking for. Subdued atmosphere, excellent food and service. Not sure I'd call it "tropical" though, but it is very authentic Puerto Rican food. I've also been to the Parrot Club and loved it. I've heard of Dragonfly and La Mallorquina (good reviews) and may try one of those in February.

Elf

We had a tour guide recommend a WONDERFUL place to us. The name of it is Uvva's. It is the restaurant in the Hosteria Del Mar guesthouse in the Ocean Park sector. You have to call that number for reservations, Uvva's is not actually listed in any telephone book. It is in an open air hut (although they have abililty to close the windows, just about 75 or so yards from the shoreline. We went there on our honeymoon and loved it. Very small and quiet and romantic. Great food (although the selection is fairly limited).

NAHA, if you don't mind getting out of Old San Juan, try Ajilli Mojilli (sp?). It's in the Condado area - a cab ride, but not a long cab ride. It was wonderful and, maybe, what you're looking for. Subdued atmosphere, excellent food and service. Not sure I'd call it "tropical" though, but it is very authentic Puerto Rican food. I've also been to the Parrot Club and loved it. I've heard of Dragonfly and La Mallorquina (good reviews) and may try one of those in February.

Elf

I'd agree that this place is great -- Ajili Mojili (sp?). Not really a touristy place. Crisp White table cloths. Very attentive wait staff. Borderline gourmet Puerto Rican Food. Located right on the main drag in the Condado area. Very very nice.

• 1 month later...
We had a tour guide recommend a WONDERFUL place to us. The name of it is Uvva's. It is the restaurant in the Hosteria Del Mar guesthouse in the Ocean Park sector. You have to call that number for reservations, Uvva's is not actually listed in any telephone book. It is in an open air hut (although they have abililty to close the windows, just about 75 or so yards from the shoreline. We went there on our honeymoon and loved it. Very small and quiet and romantic. Great food (although the selection is fairly limited).

This place sounds really neat, can't find anymore information on it though..is there a website or anything you have online to reference it? Thanks in advance! :)

Here is another suggestion.... if you don't mind taking a taxi to Isla Verde area..... try Pamela's at the Numero Uno guesthouse. The website is www.numero1guesthouse.com

It is a small B&B (used to be a large private beach home) right on the beach. Pamela's is small restaurant on the first floor in the enclosed courtyard overlooking the very small pool. However right out the door they have tables in the sand ( but think toes in sand - crystal on table). It was truly the best meal I had on our entire trip (3 days precruise in San Juan and 7 days on Serenade). It is right up there with some of the 5 star restaurants I have eaten in Vegas, New York or Dallas. Small so make reservations - altho we got in with last minute reservations.

Does anyone know if Ajili Mojili has any vegetarian dinner options? Or, does anyone know of anywhere nice in PR that would have vegetarian options? One of the people I'm traveling with does not eat any meat or fish and is very particular about certain veggies (it's a shame to be so limited).

thanks!

The hours of the Parrot Club looks like the close for a siesta? Does any one know this? They said they serve lunch from 11:30 -3:00 and then dinner at 6:00. We dock at 12:30. So that means a mad dash for the restaurant?

They do close, we went in between hours last time and didn't feel like waiting around for it to open as it was about 4:45 so we just left. Many restuarants do this between lunch and dinner services to give the kitchen staff and servers time to get ready for the dinner rush.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived