Rental car drop off at Port of Miami?

Hi there,

I used to work in a rental car agency so can answer you from that point of view, in that you cannot just drop a car anywhere you like. I know it seems convenient, but then it takes two staff to go and retrieve the car, and where would the customer leave the keys? Just dropping a car off without checking it in can also be detrimental to you if you haven't taken the insurance coverage - anything could happen to the car and until it is checked in by a company employee, you are liable for damage to that vehicle.

You can leave the car at the closest office to the pier, and then they may be able to give you a ride to the pier, or you'll have to take a cab over.

I don't remember seeing any car rental agencies at the pier. It's basically taxi and shuttle bus service over.

What company are you using?

Hi,

in 2003 there was a shuttle from Avis (airport) to the port, but we had to call for it.

We had send them an email in advance to double check if there'll be a shuttle. Maybe you should try this too.

Have fun,

Sellie

Enterprise has drop off at a downtown hotel very close to the port and then shuttle to the cruise port. We picked up the car in Fort Lauderdale and dropped off in Miami the morning of our cruise. It was simple, no hassle at all.

Hope this helps.

kitty

Thanks for the ideas. We haven't booked with any company yet. We are just trying to avoid the Miami airport because of all the Superbowl traffic (the cruise leaves 2/3/07)

I don't mean drop off as in just leave the car somewhere. I meant a rental car agency near the port where I can turn in the car.

Thrifty, Dollar, Alamo have shuttle busses from their Miami Airport Location to/from the Port of Miami.

Hertz has vans that do shuttles from one of their downtown locations.

Do whatever's the cheapest. If you use Dollar or Thrifty, join their respective express rental programs first (DollarExpress or Blue Chip respectivly)

- Do you happen to know what downtown hotel you can drop off the car at??

For Enterprise they list 300 Biscayne Blvd as a drop off point. That looks like the Dupont Plaza and it's less than a mile and a half from the port.

• 2 weeks later...

MKG - Sorry it took me so long to reply!

The Enterprise terminal is in the Hyatt Regency downtown hotel at

400 SE 2nd Ave, Miami. We did this Sept, 2005 and paid $62.00 for a mini-van.

Hope this helps (and it's not too late :o )

kitty

I have done a lot of research on this. We are using Hertz and dropping it off at Miami Biscayne Bay hotel, across from the ship terminal. For $4.00/person, you can use their shuttle. Or if you purchase their cruise package overnight, you get free shuttle to ship. Only thing is Hertz is a little more expensive than the rest; but checked Enterprise, and they only let you rent airport to airport when you are dropping off car at different location than where you picked it up. We also want to avoid airport by all means. Hertz also has a pickup at ship after cruise, or you can get taxi back to hotel for another pickup. We will be picking up car in St. Augustine, driving to Miami and staying at Biscayne Bay.

In our experience, Alamo and Dollar usually offer the best rates. Definitely check with Avis--when we used them 2 years ago, there was no shuttle and it cost 25 for a taxi.

Keep in mind, most (if not all) airport car rental faciliies are off site and relatively easy to access. In fact, you might find it less stressful than driving in downtown Miami. Yes, you may wait for the shuttle to and from the pier (they go to all ships that are docked there and the RCCL ships always seem to be at the far end) but you'll wait for transfers and taxis as well.

I have done a lot of research on this. We are using Hertz and dropping it off at Miami Biscayne Bay hotel, across from the ship terminal. For $4.00/person, you can use their shuttle. Or if you purchase their cruise package overnight, you get free shuttle to ship. Only thing is Hertz is a little more expensive than the rest; but checked Enterprise, and they only let you rent airport to airport when you are dropping off car at different location than where you picked it up. We also want to avoid airport by all means. Hertz also has a pickup at ship after cruise, or you can get taxi back to hotel for another pickup. We will be picking up car in St. Augustine, driving to Miami and staying at Biscayne Bay.

Hertz also runs a free shuttle to a downtown location. Go to their web site and do a location search for Port of Miami to get details.

Hertz also runs a free shuttle to a downtown location. Go to their web site and do a location search for Port of Miami to get details.

I used it in June to get to Freedom free of charge with no problems. It's a 5-7 minute ride.

Yes, I know and am considering doing that after the cruise as we will need to pick up another car to get back to St. Augustine. Just was thinking there would be less hassle with crowds if we just went back to hotel for new car. Would need to get a cab, which would be about $10.00. Any thoughts? or am I stupid to spend the $10.00 to avoid the hassle of the shuttle to downtown location?

Thanks for the ideas. We haven't booked with any company yet. We are just trying to avoid the Miami airport because of all the Superbowl traffic (the cruise leaves 2/3/07)

I don't mean drop off as in just leave the car somewhere. I meant a rental car agency near the port where I can turn in the car.

IF you are arriving Sunday morning for departure I would not be too concerned with Super Bowl traffic at the airport, most fans will already be there. In addition the stadium is no where near the port. You biggest concern should be finding a hotel at a reasonable (read under $300 per night) rate.

That wasn't my experience. We rented at Ft. Lauderdale airport and dropped off in the Hyatt in dowtown Miami about a mile from the cruise port, not at the Miami airport. The shuttle to the cruiseport from Enterprise was free. <shrug>

kitty

That wasn't my experience. We rented at Ft. Lauderdale airport and dropped off in the Hyatt in dowtown Miami about a mile from the cruise port, not at the Miami airport. The shuttle to the cruiseport from Enterprise was free. <shrug>

kitty

Enterprise also was the best option for me last year. Picked up at MIA, dropped off at the Hyatt Regency, took the fast-friendly-free shuttle to the port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=3754158&postcount=9

Enterprise (at the Hyatt Regency)

400 SE 2ND AVENUE

MIAMI, FL 33131

(305) 379-3003

NOTE:

Other CCers may not have been aware of this rental option because Enterprise does not give you an online option to pick up and drop off at different locations. But the Enterprise staff at both their MIA and Hyatt offices -- including their drivers -- were very helpful and friendly.

Last year, Enterprise at MIA had a stack of their directions to their office at the Hyatt Regency, specifically for cruisers wanting to drop off nearest the pier.

Just called Enterprise AGAIN and told them what you guys are doing and they said their policy is that you can only do that for a $150 drop-off fee (renting from St. Augustine). They said it must be something they are doing in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area and that other locations don't do it. They said they are working on providing one-way drop-offs other than the airport and I should inquire later. We are in St. Augustine, and all three Enterprise locations here tell me the same thing. I guess I will have to use Hertz and drop it off at Miami Biscayne Bay. I wish Budget had a hotel drop-off because they are much cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...

OK. So I was getting the runaround from Enterprise, too, on their regular "866" reservation lines - even the one they tell you to call for one way rentals - from "no" we don't do that to "only from airport to airport".

I finally called Enterprise direct at the Fort Lauderdale airport and they were very happy to take my reservation for a pickup at the airport in FLL with a drop off in downtown Miami at the Hyatt Regency with no additional charges.

Hope this helps anyone else who is looking to do something similiar.

John

Archived