VICTORY review 8/26/06

rebecca.sarge

Hello all.

Back from the Victory today, and I AM TIRED!

I jotted some notes while still on board, and here is my review... I've been on one cruise before - the RCI Navigator.

Better than I expected:

St John - people were friendly, a fun place to poke around, especially City Market

Leaving NYC - trust me on this, you want to be up on the topless deck when you go under the Verrazano bridge. It's AMAZING.

Lack of "hard selling"

Pillows and comforters...so soft!

Size and comfort of cabins - love the soft lighting!

Photos - you can have them taken in a variety of areas of the ship with lots of different backgrounds, which means very few lines

We got the upgrade to an OV cabin!

The chocolate cake from room service. Trust me.

The best soft-serve ice cream ever!

About what I expected

The food in general

Embarkation - we arrived at 11 and were on board at 12:15.

The comedian and magic shows

Cleanliness

Debarkation - self-assist is the way to go. We were off the ship by 7:50am.

Worse than I expected

The energy of the fellow pax and crew...just kind of tired.

The pools - so small, and no shallow ends for the littler kids.

Cruise director - ho hum, the potential to be funny, but doesn't use his sense of humor enough

Bars - tried to find one at 1am with grownups in it, but couldn't.

Camp Carnival and O2 - they just didn't sell it enough to the kids and my 8yo son wanted nothing to do with it after the first party. Talked to other cruisers with boys about the same age and they agreed.

Wait service in dining room - Very stressed, took forever to get the drinks - we had to order iced tea and milk from our very harried waiter instead of the bar staff...don't know why.

Steward - this was very disappointing. He didn't come at all for turn-down service on one night, and we didn't have our room made up until after 9PM!! on another day.

Cabin noise - Bring earplugs, especially if you have a room that happens to be an adjoining cabin, particularly if you don't know the people in the other room. We had the worst neighbors - a 4mo baby who screamed nonstop for 90 minutes, followed by the next night of shouting, banging, slamming, etc until 2 am, when I finally called security. You can hear *everything*.

Shows - I couldn't help but compare them to RCI's shows which are really top-notch and professional. These were...eh.

Caribbean Lounge - (where the shows are) - TERRIBLE sight lines. No matter where I sat there was either a silver horizontal bar at eye level, or a big silver pillar, or, on the first floor, people's heads. I spent the whole time shifting around trying to see.

Luggage - didn't arrive until 9:30pm, purser thought it was lost, but thankfully it was just mistagged...we had a GUAR cabin, which was the problem I guess.

Employees - occasionally surly, but almost always overworked and tired.

Smoking - Yuck. Could smell it in the hallways quite a bit.

Weather forecasts - we had cold, overcast weather in both ports, which was fine, but they told us the night before it was going to be "partly sunny." Rain had been predicted for 2 weeks prior. Made me wonder if they were falsifying the weather reports in the hopes of selling more excursions.

So, overall, not a great experience. I guess it was acceptable for what I spent ($1544 for 3 people), but I won't be sailing Carnival again anytime soon. It just doesn't compare (IMO) with RCI.

Let the controversy begin. :D

Hello all.

I jotted some notes while still on board, and here is my review... I've been on one cruise before - the RCI Navigator.

Better than I expected:

St John - people were friendly, a fun place to poke around, especially City Market

Leaving NYC - trust me on this, you want to be up on the topless deck when you go under the Verrazano bridge. It's AMAZING.

Lack of "hard selling"

Photos - you can have them taken in a variety of areas of the ship with lots of different backgrounds, which means very few lines

About what I expected

The food in general

Cleanliness

Worse than I expected

Cruise director - ho hum, the potential to be funny, but doesn't use his sense of humor enough

Camp Carnival and O2 - they just didn't sell it enough to the kids and my 8yo son wanted nothing to do with it after the first party. Talked to other cruisers with boys about the same age and they agreed.

Wait service in dining room - Very stressed, took forever to get the drinks - we had to order iced tea and milk from our very harried waiter instead of the bar staff...don't know why.

Steward - this was very disappointing. He didn't come at all for turn-down service on one night, and we didn't have our room made up until after 9PM!! on another day.

Cabin noise - Bring earplugs, especially if you have a room that happens to be an adjoining cabin, particularly if you don't know the people in the other room. We had the worst neighbors - a 4mo baby who screamed nonstop for 90 minutes, followed by the next night of shouting, banging, slamming, etc until 2 am, when I finally called security. You can hear *everything*.

Shows - I couldn't help but compare them to RCI's shows which are really top-notch and professional. These were...eh.

Caribbean Lounge - (where the shows are) - TERRIBLE sight lines. No matter where I sat there was either a silver horizontal bar at eye level, or a big silver pillar, or, on the first floor, people's heads. I spent the whole time shifting around trying to see.

Luggage - didn't arrive until 9:30pm, purser thought it was lost, but thankfully it was just mistagged...we had a GUAR cabin, which was the problem I guess.

Weather forecasts - we had cold, overcast weather in both ports, which was fine, but they told us the night before it was going to be "partly sunny." Rain had been predicted for 2 weeks prior. Made me wonder if they were falsifying the weather reports in the hopes of selling more excursions.

So, overall, not a great experience. I guess it was acceptable for what I spent ($1544 for 3 people), but I won't be sailing Carnival again anytime soon. It just doesn't compare (IMO) with RCI.

Glad to see another noticed the nasty cigarette smoke.

Hello all.

Better than I expected:

Lack of "hard selling"

About what I expected

The food in general

Cleanliness

Worse than I expected

By the way, very good review, get ready for the regulars to bash you. They don't like any negative reviews. It will be considered an isolated incident. LOL

Thanks for the balanced review Rebecca... sorry it wasn't everything you wanted it to be :( I had some of the same experiences on RCL, so I guess it can happen anywhere... I also wish the bar waiters could get drinks quicker in the dining room!!! I always end up ordering a couple at a time :D Thanks for taking the time!

Thanks for the balanced review Rebecca... sorry it wasn't everything you wanted it to be :( I had some of the same experiences on RCL, so I guess it can happen anywhere... I also wish the bar waiters could get drinks quicker in the dining room!!! I always end up ordering a couple at a time :D Thanks for taking the time!

I have noticed the lack of bar service in the dining room more and more on various ships. I did not understand why until I slipped out in the middle of dinner one night to "powder my noise" and realized that (on the Spirit class at least) the bar wait staff have to go all the way past the cigar lounge (past the piano) to fill the orders. On that class ship...someone did not think that through.

I have no problem with someone voicing their opinion,when it is done honestly and balanced....that is all a person can ask for. Sorry you were disappointed. Hope you have wonderful cruises, whom ever you sail with in the future.

Hello all.

Better than I expected:

I'll second that one:

56327.jpg

Hello all.

Better than I expected:

Lack of "hard selling"

About what I expected

The food in general

Cleanliness

Worse than I expected

Thanks for the review, I have a few question since I have not sailed the Victory and will be doing so in November

What dining room did you have the poor service in?

What cabin did you have ? Wonder if the stewards have the same cabins through out their contract? Did you contact the purser desk about the steward and was anything done to correct your displeasure.

Was the ratio passengers to staff over whelming? There seems to be several post stating that the staff seem to be surly. does this attitude seem to run throughout the entire staff?

Thank you for telling it as the experience was for you. "It is what it is"

Hopefully things will improve by the time we cruise in November

I'll Be Sailing September 9th on the 7 night cruise I was wondering what time they let you on board, and was the water slide running.

When we went last month, they opened up boarding around noon, and no, the water slide was not running at the time, in fact, it wasn't at all until the next day while we were at sea.

We got off the ship last Saturday. They had started boarding right at 11:30 and the waterslide was not open the first day at all.

We had a similar experience with the dining room staff but luckily our cabin steward and his assistant were wonderful.

This was the first of our Carnival cruises that did not compare favourably to RCCL because of the dining room. All of the other ones were very similar in service levels. I'm hoping that it's a fluke on this particular ship (maybe somehow related to the itinerary which I loved by the way) and not a sign of things to come fleet wide.

We must have had less smokers on our week because it wasn't a problem for us. Our worst experience ever was on the Jewel of the Seas when she was just 8 months old. We opened our cabin door and the smell was unbelievable. We actually had to have them take the comforter and draperies that they could take down right out of the room because they smelled so bad. They sprayed the room but it didn't get much better til about the 4th day of the cruise. That was really disappointing.

Thanks for the review, I have a few question since I have not sailed the Victory and will be doing so in November

What dining room did you have the poor service in?

What cabin did you have ? Wonder if the stewards have the same cabins through out their contract? Did you contact the purser desk about the steward and was anything done to correct your displeasure.

Was the ratio passengers to staff over whelming? There seems to be several post stating that the staff seem to be surly. does this attitude seem to run throughout the entire staff?

Thank you for telling it as the experience was for you. "It is what it is"

Hopefully things will improve by the time we cruise in November

We were in the Atlantic dining room. We were in cabin 1247. We didn't contact the desk because I didn't want to get the guy in trouble as he was very *nice*. I know, I know... Oh, I should add that we had requested early seating and got late. The maitre'd said he couldn't guarantee a change, but we did get changed the next day to the earlier seating.

There seemed to be certain staff who were really warm and welcoming, and others who were not. I was in the Caribbean lounge and asked a worker something about it and got a very rude, "I work in the bar, so I have no idea." Ooookay. I would say generally more overworked than surly.

I did forget to say how chilly the weather was - I didn't even change into my bathing suit, and my 8yo didn't go into the pools, but enjoyed the hot tubs. It was very windy and cool throughout the trip, and mostly overcast except for the last day, but we had packed for it and didn't mind at all.

If you order one of the "free" drinks - like milk, iced tea, etc., you have to order from your waiter. The bar staff seemed fast, but the waiter was VERY busy, and didn't bring our milk or iced tea until the meal was well underway and I had asked twice.

One last thing, don't let the "topless deck" throw you off - it's too cold for anyone to be up there without a top, and the best views are from up there - as you're sailing away you can easily move from port to starboard and you won't miss anything!

Hi! We were on the same cruise! We booked it at the last minute (less than 72 hours prior to sailaway!) Sorry your experience wasn't all you might have hoped it would be. It's hard when your expectations aren't met and you are disappointed...especially on a vacation!

This was the second time I sailed this itinerary (we went last year at the same time on the Triumph). Overall, we had a great cruise.

We were all the way forward on the 7th deck, in two insides, although they didn't connect. We loved having our own "private" deck a few steps away at the bow of the ship! Although, you can feel the motion much more towards the front. We've always been on the Empress deck, but always midship or just aft of midship. The first two nights, every once in a while, the ship would hit a wave just so and the whole cabin just sort of shuddered.

It was very quiet in our part of the ship, with the exception of those getting up to watch the sunrise letting their doors close. What is barely noticeable during the day is deafening in absolute silence. So, a plea to you early risers...please catch your door before it "slams" closed!

Admittedly, the weather was a bit better last year. This trip, the first sea day was a little windy and overcast. The last sea day was nice though, except for early morning fog (with the accompanying fog horn!) I brought both ponchos and umbrellas, and never used either. Both port days we had a little mist, but never when we were outside. On our day in Nova Scotia, the sun broke through the clouds on several occasions. Most of the time, we wore light sweaters, and never needed anything heavier.

We rented a car in each port. In Saint John, we drove to St. Andrews by the Sea (we had seen the sea caves in St. Martins last year - they were very cool, but we wanted to see something else this time.) In Halifax, we headed out to Peggy's Cove, and then drove on to Mahone's Bay and then on to Lunenberg for lunch. Nova Scotia is just breathtaking!

We thought the service was OK. Our room stewards were great. Our assistant waiter never seemed to be around, and our waiter seemed to have to work really hard to do it all herself (although that may be unfair, as he may have been doing mostly behind the scenes things). She always did it with a smile, though. It didn't help that two of the large tables next to us were occupied by a large group and they were consistently 10-20 minutes late. It threw the timing of everyone's meals off. But that's hardly the waitstaff's fault. And I think it's hard to get to know the guests on a shorter cruise, so maybe I expect a little less than I would on a longer cruise.

As always, the cruise came with it's own particular moments that made it special. We went into the jazz bar one night to find the cruise musicians had turned the floor over to a young pianist, who was truly amazing. She played several pieces, one of her own composition. We were stunned to find she was 11! We were honored to run into the captain one evening, and he was gracious enough to spend some time with us, patiently answering my son's (7) questions about the role of pilots versus captains in the arrival of a ship in port. I witnessed a brief exchange on the Lido: a young boy came down the slide, clearly thrilled, exclaiming "I just beat my speed record" and was momentarily disappointed to realize whoever he had hoped to share this with was not there. A man passing by, seeing the same, spontaneously high fived the boy, congratulated him and moved on. He should have looked over his shoulder to see that boy beam! DD (3) discovered the slide-she is just tall enough! And, of course, there's always DD's luminous smile when she spots Freddy (Mickey and Minnie have some very serious competition!)

As always, we disembarked reluctantly, agreeing we'd had another great cruise. This is the first time I've disembarked having another cruise planned. I have to say, it helps immensely in the PCD department.

OP: Hope your next cruise is mostly in the "better than expected" category! :)

Rebecca,

Thank you for the review. We leave on 9/30/06 and are a little concerned over the mixed reviews the ship has gotten. I'm also concerned as we are in room 1299 and may end up with the same cabin steward. We too have connecting rooms but luckily, we connect with the room our friends have. Anyway, like the others, hope your next cruise is better.

Ann

We got off the ship last Saturday. They had started boarding right at 11:30 and the waterslide was not open the first day at all.

We had a similar experience with the dining room staff but luckily our cabin steward and his assistant were wonderful.

This was the first of our Carnival cruises that did not compare favourably to RCCL because of the dining room. All of the other ones were very similar in service levels. I'm hoping that it's a fluke on this particular ship (maybe somehow related to the itinerary which I loved by the way) and not a sign of things to come fleet wide.

We must have had less smokers on our week because it wasn't a problem for us. Our worst experience ever was on the Jewel of the Seas when she was just 8 months old. We opened our cabin door and the smell was unbelievable. We actually had to have them take the comforter and draperies that they could take down right out of the room because they smelled so bad. They sprayed the room but it didn't get much better til about the 4th day of the cruise. That was really disappointing.

At least you didn't have many smokers on your cruise, But I bet the stink on your drapes and comforter were from the nasty smoke smell on the previous cruise. See how bad the smoking makes it? I am glad it all worked out for you.

I cruised the Victory in May and had fantastic service. We noticed a lot of folks we ate with who were so picky about everything... like they weren't happy unless they were miserable. We had one Lady try to tell the ship was filthy... I mean, holly Cow... I'm on the same ship and have no idea what she is talking about. What...? Did she wee a gum rapper somewhere...? :eek:

We also noticed that the wait staff did not give as great of service to those the were rude. We had dinner at open seating one night and received great service for being appreciative (pleases, thanks yous, etc.) of the the wait staff service, while others at the same table that were pushy and rude were ignored quite a bit. And I can't blame the staff. They are servers... not servants.

It's a great ship. I would go on her again (if the air prices weren't so high right now).

Don't let all the nay-sayers discourage you. Politeness and flexibility go a long way towards having fun... and a great trip!

Thanks for the review we leave in 2 weeks.

We are also on the Riviera Deck, room 1201. We've never been on the 1st deck before. How was the noise level on this deck and also were the elevators hard to access since you were on the 1st deck.

Thanks again.

Hi there.

The elevators were super-easy to access - only 2 cabins away. To get down to deck 1, you will need to take the regular elevators (as opposed to the glass ones, because they only go down as far as deck 2). The noise from the ship was non-existent, but like I said above, those adjoining cabins are the opposite of sound-proof!

We also noticed that the wait staff did not give as great of service to those the were rude. We had dinner at open seating one night and received great service for being appreciative (pleases, thanks yous, etc.) of the the wait staff service, while others at the same table that were pushy and rude were ignored quite a bit. And I can't blame the staff. They are servers... not servants.

BRAVO! the most realistic quote I have read on all these boards! I think some of the inconsiderate people we all notice should have to cater to a ship load of people for only $3.50 a day tip and see how their fair in the "polite" dept after a week.

I have always found that a simple "Thank You" "Please" and "excuse me" goes a long way in the way you are treated.

Tom

"A handful of patients is worth more than a bushel of brains"

Hmmm......Posters take notice here.........

Hmmm......Posters take notice here.........

Oh, so you're saying if I had been POLITE and said please and thank you, I might have gotten better service? :rolleyes: I think they were just really overworked and tried very hard in most cases, but weren't able to keep up with the demand of their jobs sometimes. And you can't really argue the fact that in any hotel, the room should have been made up by 9pm!

At least you didn't have many smokers on your cruise, But I bet the stink on your drapes and comforter were from the nasty smoke smell on the previous cruise. See how bad the smoking makes it? I am glad it all worked out for you.

my god enough with the smoking agenda...it is getting really tiresome. We all get it!

Oh, so you're saying if I had been POLITE and said please and thank you, I might have gotten better service? :rolleyes: I think they were just really overworked and tried very hard in most cases, but weren't able to keep up with the demand of their jobs sometimes. And you can't really argue the fact that in any hotel, the room should have been made up by 9pm!

I agree with you rebecca. Good manners are very important to our family and we know the benefits of honey over vinegar. We are not demanding and we NEVER fail to say please and thank you. I am not a new cruiser and as I said in my review of the sailing prior to yours, our dining room waiter seemed to be extremely hard-pressed to keep up and we rarely ever saw the assistant waiter. The waiter was a very nice fellow - just seemed really overworked. We joked with him a bit but he was always on the run so there was a general lack of that personal touch we've come to expect. That's the first time we've ever had that type of experience on a cruise ship. Again, nothing was bad, just a bit of letdown in the dining room in comparison to previous cruises.

Nice post rebecca. Do not worry about her, she just follows people around to pick with. She seems that she is always right.

That statement was not directed at you. I was agreeing with Venture man. No harm no foul:p

Archived