Bring wine on board

judie43

We are taking our first Holland America cruise in March. Have sailed many times on Rccl and Celebrity so I know about their policies regarding bringing wine on board. Are we allowed to bring a couple bottles of wine with us and pay a corkage fee in the dining room?

Thanks

We are taking our first Holland America cruise in March. Have sailed many times on Rccl and Celebrity so I know about their policies regarding bringing wine on board. Are we allowed to bring a couple bottles of wine with us and pay a corkage fee in the dining room?

Thanks

You sure can but you might prefer to drink in your cabin, the corkage is $15. The price HAL is charging for wine is bordering on extortion!!!!!!

While you might think you are saving money consider this. The five bottle package (Naigator) costs 149.00 plus tip of 15%. So each bottle cost about $30.00. If you are bringing wine onboard that cost less then $15.00 each you will save some money. If more then it makes no sense the carry all that extra stuff. Also the steward will recork and save any unused part of a bottle for another night. Your choice of course. We bring one bottle for cabin use and purchase the 5 bottle set for the ease it affords us. We do bring along canned soda because my DW drinks only caffine free diets. Have a great cruise.

LOL! What's an "Unused part of a bottle?!":D :D :D

lMAO Exactly

Depends what sort of wine you like to drink also, I found in Alaska and California I was able to buy really top line NZ Sauvignon Blancs for between $US10 to $12, in fact the only time we took a bottle to dinner was to the PG and the waiters were raving on about what a top wine we had taken. I had bought it in Alaska for $US10 even cheaper than I could buy in NZ. lol

I know the true wine lovers will sneer at this question. But I will go on anyway:p bravely !!

The darn bottles are too heavy ! Is there such a thing as wine in lightweight bottles ? Dare I say plastic !!

It's worth a try to ask.

MaryAnn

I know the true wine lovers will sneer at this question. But I will go on anyway:p bravely !!

The darn bottles are too heavy ! Is there such a thing as wine in lightweight bottles ? Dare I say plastic !!

It's worth a try to ask.

MaryAnn

From what I understand, BOXED wine has come along way. That could be an alternative for you. :)

I forgot about them - Thanks, Nanette !

Glad to be of help! I haven't bought a box of wine in over 5 years, but from what I understand, there are some real goodies out there. Maybe do a little research via google (?) or a wine shop for suggestions/prices/value.

Love your moniker! I'm a big Frank Zappa fan, and one of my favorite expressions is, "WOWIE ZOWIE"! Everytime I see one of your posts, I'm reminded of my dear FZ! :)

I know the wine discussion is an oft repeated topic. Some are charged corkage fees while others aren't. DW prefers her wine at room temp and therefore no chilling is needed/desired. Perhaps we could bring a partial bottle or a carafe, which did not require cork removal to the dining room? I know I'd love to bring a can/bottle of diet pepsi with me to enjoy with my meal, since I don't really like coke products. Now, I would never even consider doing this in a restaurant ashore, but my Scotch side is dueling with my English propriety on this one. In addition, DW will probably need some convincing that it is really OK. Unfortunately, I keep visualizing the rolling eyes of some snutty wait staff, bar staff, and/or somallier. Not to mention my fellow cruisers. How would you view this if someone at your table did this?

Gotta Go-

I might be crucified for saying this, but why don't you have your wife carry a glass of her wine into the dining room?

I've never been on HAL before, but have done it myself on other lines- your maitre d has no idea if it was purchased in one of their lounges, or poured in your room.

(Believe me- we spend serious money in the cocktail lounges... so I don't feel guilty about doing this) :)

We noted on our 5 weeks on Statendam, that there was not that much bottled wine being sold in the Dining room, which we found very interesting. We had no choice but to resist because we would have been paying close to $NZ50 a bottle, which is absolutely absurd. I personally think that the cruise lines out of the US are taking all you folk, dare I say it, suckers for a great big ride and ripping you off dramatically into the bargain. I can however see eventually that they might also ban the bringing of any alcohol totally on board. They most definitely are not going for the turnover, I guess maybe they would have to carry too much stock, perhaps this way they are still making a huge profit and don't give a damn. I could go on and on and on, I think HAL are a pack of downright THIEVES. I cannot speak for any other cruise line out of the US.

I saw people nightly leaving their cabins on their way to the DR with their glass of wine in their hands. I am damned if I could lower myself to do that, would much sooner go to the DR three parts to the wind and stir up the waiters. Having said that I never had a problem with my waiters, they just loved my laid back sense of humour, one even crying on the last night when we said our farewells :-(

Ok, I wanna go wine shopping with you! I usually try to buy the California wines I know and like at sale prices ... get some good deals, too. Maybe we should pool our resources :D

Hey I see you live in Seattle, I think you get some really good buys of NZ wines in California, much better than the eastern seaboard (my beloved son is living in DC), a really neat lady in Safeways in Ketchikan gave me a Safeways card, I got an extra 10% of my already discounted six pack, so when we got to Frisco and LA we were making straight for Safeways to stock up for the long haul back to Auckland. lol

What sort of wine do you like to drink, I could give you some hints of wine to try. Generally speaking Californians are saying our whites out do yours, but I can't comment as I have never tried any, we just stuck to what we know and really enjoy, we did buy a couple of cheap Aussie whites but they were YUK!!

Sorry Nanette, the Wowzo has nothing to do with your memories but glad you have the good thoughts.

It is a goofy nickname my Dad gave to my Mom - she always hated her real name (Gertrude ).

Since I joined CC, I've had 3 names due to new computers, cookies, etc. but this one is my favorite.

'sea' ya later, MaryAnn

Gotta Go-

I might be crucified for saying this, but why don't you have your wife carry a glass of her wine into the dining room?

Well, how shall I put this gently? DW's middle name isn't exactly 'grace' - with the motion of the ocean - people bumping her - etc. - there is the question of how much she gets to drink vice how much she gets to wear carrying a glass of wine? I suppose I could suggest a sippy cup to her, but I'm pretty sure I would just get a pretty good hit on the arm for that suggestion.:eek:

We noted on our 5 weeks on Statendam, that there was not that much bottled wine being sold in the Dining room, which we found very interesting. We had no choice but to resist because we would have been paying close to $NZ50 a bottle, which is absolutely absurd. I personally think that the cruise lines out of the US are taking all you folk, dare I say it, suckers for a great big ride and ripping you off dramatically into the bargain. I can however see eventually that they might also ban the bringing of any alcohol totally on board. They most definitely are not going for the turnover, I guess maybe they would have to carry too much stock, perhaps this way they are still making a huge profit and don't give a damn. I could go on and on and on, I think HAL are a pack of downright THIEVES. I cannot speak for any other cruise line out of the US.

The wine price in HAL dining rooms is comparable to landside restaurants of the same caliber. Both in the US and in New Zealand. I certainly never paid less than about NZ$30 in restaurants on the North island while HAL's wine list starts at around NZ$35. The prices are similar on all major cruise lines (except, of course, for those which don't charge for wine - Silversea, Crystal et al.)

The wine price in HAL dining rooms is comparable to landside restaurants of the same caliber. Both in the US and in New Zealand. I certainly never paid less than about NZ$30 in restaurants on the North island while HAL's wine list starts at around NZ$35. The prices are similar on all major cruise lines (except, of course, for those which don't charge for wine - Silversea, Crystal et al.)

Am I dumb or something, you are talking prices including flippin taxes. I thought shipboard prices were exempt of tax. In NZ 12 1/2% GST in the states I think you have 2 lots of taxes. Get real, HAL is charging minimum $US30. There is no way my hubby and I could live with those sort of prices for 5 week, but through CC I am finding out that it is way out of touch with a lot of Americans also. I can go out for a jolly good meal in NZ and pay no more than about $NZ25 to $35. and that includes taxs. That is nothing like what is being charged by cruise lines and you guys are letting them get away with it, I think HAL does a house wine of really crappy Aussie chardonay at $US19.00 and you can keep that. I like to drink good wine.

In fact darewser I think you have just shot yourself in the jolly foot :confused:

Am I dumb or something, you are talking prices including flippin taxes. I thought shipboard prices were exempt of tax. In NZ 12 1/2% GST in the states I think you have 2 lots of taxes. Get real, HAL is charging minimum $US30. There is no way my hubby and I could live with those sort of prices for 5 week, but through CC I am finding out that it is way out of touch with a lot of Americans also. I can go out for a jolly good meal in NZ and pay no more than about $NZ25 to $35. and that includes taxs. That is nothing like what is being charged by cruise lines and you guys are letting them get away with it, I think HAL does a house wine of really crappy Aussie chardonay at $US19.00 and you can keep that. I like to drink good wine.

In fact darewser I think you have just shot yourself in the jolly foot :confused:

You know, I don't need this agrevation. Come back when you know what you're talking about. Duty and taxes are very different things. You can buy *duty free* alcohol on board, but the line pays taxes to whatever country they make purchases in.

I can also go for a "jolly good meal" in the US and pay no more than US$30 - but that doesn't include the type of service nor the choices I get on board ship.

You know, I don't need this agrevation. Come back when you know what you're talking about. Duty and taxes are very different things. You can buy *duty free* alcohol on board, but the line pays taxes to whatever country they make purchases in.

I can also go for a "jolly good meal" in the US and pay no more than US$30 - but that doesn't include the type of service nor the choices I get on board ship.

Your quite right me darling, I have no idea what I am talking about as far as the US goes, but I can tell you any vessel going offshore from NZ does not pay tax on any purchases they are Zero rated. I have travelled by sea since 1963 sweetie and back in the good old days alcohol at sea was very cheap because there is no duty or taxes for that matter payable. Also I have cruised downunder with both P & O Australia and Princess, and let me tell you they are charging absolutely nothing compared with what shipping lines are charging out of North America, nor are the gratuities anything like what you suckers are paying. I could go on and on but you are sucked in me matey and I would be wasting my breath. Don't bother answering I wont be coming back to this board.

Hi, Dave! Thanks for explaining that HAL is in line with major cruise lines serving the US market. I did alot of research. If you look at the wine lists and the prices of wine on board. HAL is right in the middle of the pack. RCI is the worst and Princess the best; in my opionion.

Now as far as the policy concerning bringing wine on board and charging a reasonable corkage fee (and of course some nights they may forget to charge the fee ) HAL, Carnival, and NCL seem to be the best. Bring as many bottles as you like and the fee is $15 each. Princess mentions a 2 bottle limit. Celebrity says no wine to be brought on board but if you do, the fee is $25.

I love HALs wine policy. we just got back, we bought a CA sparkler for around $30 and a Sancerre for $50 on board. We also had 8 bottles of red wine that we brought on board and were charged one corkage fee. If they had charged every night we would have been ok with it. We got the wines we loved at a reasonable price.

We can always wish the wine prices were marked up less but that seems to be an area for making money in the US market. Just like tipping covers the service charge in the US market. Is the glass half empty or half full, alas my glass ended up all empty. Cheers.

Archived