Transport fm port to Hotel in Rome?

LCW

Looking at the cost of a private car from the Port to our Hotel in Rome, it looks too expensive, so we have a couple questions.

1. Does RCCL offer transfers to your hotel if you are not booking the hotel with them? If so, how much?

2. What is the best way to get to Rome from the Port without paying 300 Euros?

We did it in reverse. There is a free bus from the ship to the port entrance (it's too far to walk and not allowed anyway). The train station is then about a 4 block walk. You can walk on the seaside of the street or on the side with stores, hotels and outdoor cafes...a nice walk in either case. At the station you will have the only stairs you'll have to contend with unless you leave from track #1...the others are reached by going downstairs and then up again. There are no stairs at Termini Station. Our hotel was in walking distance to the station but otherwise you can take a cab from there.

One thing about the trains. There are local (more) and express (less) trains that leave pretty regularly from Civitavecchia to Rome. And here is why it's important to make sure that the ticket you buy matches the train you board!

We were on an express train from Genoa to Rome a couple of days before our sail date. Our train from Genoa did stop at Civitavecchia (it was about 10AM) and scads of people who were on the Voyager of the Seas and going to Rome for the day boarded. Well, they all had purchased the cheapest local tickets and so the conductor, when checking tickets, was asking about 5E's pp additional and there were some very upset folks. One man in particular was very belligerent and paid under protest and griped loudly the whole trip. My husband (born and raised in Italy himself) felt sorry for the poor conductor who was trying to explain and just doing his job. He almost got up to go forward in the car and perhaps help translate but decided this guy wasn't interested in explanations and he stayed put. "I've got a ticket to Rome and this train is going to Rome", "these people will rob you blind", "this is 'bulls__" and on and on and on.

By the way, we paid 15.94E (for the both of us) for the express train tickets from Rome to Civitavecchia...I have no idea what the local tickets cost.

The only things that would hinder this process is alot of luggage (we each had 1 bag w/wheels and a carry-on that we set on top of it) or bad weather.

Good luck!

I forgot the other part of your question. We were on Carnival and so I don't know how the other lines do it. We did meet a couple of people in Rome who were sailing with us and had bought the cruiseline transfer tickets. They had to meet the Carnival bus at a certain hotel and planned to take a taxi from their hotel to that one. They paid 75E's pp plus whatever the cab cost them.

When we met them I wasn't sure yet if we'd done the right thing or not. I knew we'd be saving money but I was kind of concerned about the walk from the station to the port entrance. Most people on this site said it was an easy walk but we are getting up there, and navigatiing on some worn out parts, but it was. literally, a breeze!!

Looking at the cost of a private car from the Port to our Hotel in Rome, it looks too expensive, so we have a couple questions.

1. Does RCCL offer transfers to your hotel if you are not booking the hotel with them? If so, how much?

2. What is the best way to get to Rome from the Port without paying 300 Euros?

Can't help re RCCL,but I would go to the CC board for them and ask this question there or do a search on the RCCL board as it may have been asked and ansered there.

As to getting from the port into Rome I don't know whom you contacted for 300€,but there are much less expensive private drivers out there.Here are 3 links you can check out.There are others that people have posted as well on this board.

RATES

Rome Taxi Shuttle Limousine, first class car service in Rome

Rome Airport Shuttle Discount Shuttle Rome Airports

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I booked with Stefano Costantino of Rome Cabs for transport between our Rome hotel and Civitavecchia. Transport for two persons is 130 euros, either direction.

Stefano is enthusiastic and knowledgeable. He took the scenic route through Rome - so we got to see many beloved sights "one more time" before leaving the city. We had a fascinating discussion about Etruscan ruins en route to the port. He lived in London for 5 years so his English is excellent. BTW, his driving was excellent. You won't be a nervous wreck! He responded to all my emails promptly. He can be reached at romecabs@yahoo.com or his website, http://www.romecabs.com

• 3 weeks later...

Like TudorSue, we used Stefano of Rome Cabs for all our transfers, tours,etc. He was absolutely fabulous. Besides having a very responsible driver, you are getting a very knowledgeable guide. We were 4 people & paid 125 euros for our transfer to the ship from our hotel in Rome. However, we booked 2 extra hours of touring to the Etruscan countryside for 70 euros more (35 euros an hour) on the way to the ship. We toured a fascinating Necropoli & a museum in Etruscan Cerveteri & then went to a mountaintop medieval castle, Ceri.

I can't thank all our cruise critic members enough for their recommendation of Stefano Costantini.

Do you need to have reservations in advance for the train from the port to Rome, or can you just walk up to the ticket counter and buy them ? Also, I'm confused about the express versus local tickets. I'm thinking that the express would be more direct, faster, and therefore more expensive--is that right? Thanks.

You can buy tickets at the station. There are more locals than express trains. If you wait 'expressly' for an express, you might let a local go by that would make it to Rome before the express you are waiting on. But if you buy a local ticket and hop on the express if happens to be the next train to arrive, then you will be asked to pay a difference by the conductor because, yes, it does cost more.

I think I would buy the local ticket, take the first train going to Rome and then if I should be 'lucky' and it be an express, getting me there faster, I would just pay the difference at that point and not give the conductor a hard time as I described in an earlier post.

One more point about the express trains. They travel a greater distance and you are more apt to encounter a delay with those trains than a local train, adding even more time to the trip. Our express TO Civitavecchia from Termini was running late whereas the local(s) seemed to be arriving and leaving on time.

Good luck.

"No Hill" Elaine

Another alternative would be to try to arrange a coach for a group of passengers, and use the cruise Contact list (here on cruisecritic) to build up the passengers. This is what happened for our cruise in June - Rebekah in our group made all the arrangements, including the hire of the coach. In the event she had about 50 passengers, and the cost for the coach ride from Termini station all the way to the ship was just €10 per person. It made everything very easy.

• 4 years later...

Is the Lugging on a suitcase and a carryon shoulder bag going to be an ordeal for two seniors travelling by Train from the airport to the Port..I mean are there lots of stairs to climb up or down..m told there is a Tunnel at the connection at Tavestere and that stair at Civatavecchi..can anyone describe,advise?..We are active but hesitant to break our backs for a few bucks.

Is the Lugging on a suitcase and a carryon shoulder bag going to be an ordeal for two seniors travelling by Train from the airport to the Port..I mean are there lots of stairs to climb up or down..m told there is a Tunnel at the connection at Tavestere and that stair at Civatavecchi..can anyone describe,advise?..We are active but hesitant to break our backs for a few bucks.

The Trastevere station has elevators at each track, so no need to lug there. Civitavecchia does not have elevators, so if your train comes in on one of the outer tracks, you will need to descend one fight and climb back up on the other side of the tracks. It is a normal flight of approximately 12 - 15 steps.

Also be aware that there may be a couple of steps into the train car.

I'm going to be a solo traveler and planning on using the train both to and from Civitavecchia from Rome WITH my luggage. I will likely have one fairly large roller bag, one small carryon bag, and one small laptop bag. The 2 smaller bag sit on top of the bigger bag when I'm rolling it, so distance is manageable. I'm also comfortable getting this collection up the steps at stations and on to the train. I've also already done the local train from port to Rome on a previous trip, but didn't deal with bags on that trip. If I recall, there was no room for baggage near the seats in the local train car (barely a carryon size would fit above them). I also seem to recall a fairly large open area either near the doors when we boarded and then had to decide where to find seats. My question... Do people with larger bags, just remain in that larger area with their bags? Is that acceptable? I stood the entire trip to Rome the last time due to a crowded train. I'm looking for comments from people who successfully did the trip with baggage as to how best to deal with the bags once on the train. Or would I be better off paying a little more for the express train.

I'm going to be a solo traveler and planning on using the train both to and from Civitavecchia from Rome WITH my luggage. My question... Do people with larger bags, just remain in that larger area with their bags? Is that acceptable? I stood the entire trip to Rome the last time due to a crowded train. I'm looking for comments from people who successfully did the trip with baggage as to how best to deal with the bags once on the train. Or would I be better off paying a little more for the express train.

Yes, people do stand in the entryway with their luggage for the entire trip, quite commonly. You really wouldn't leave your things and walk away from them in this instance, and there aren't luggage racks as there might be on longer distance trains.

What you will find is many people (I've done this myself, so shame on me, but there it is) will simply use up a seat with their stuff (generally the one facing them).

As long as you aren't taking a train during typical commuting hours, you probably won't find it so full that you can't get away with this. If an elderly person gets on and cannot find a seat, however, be prepared to get up and give them yours, even if you leave your stuff on the other seat. The aged in Italy have no problem dressing you down about not minding your manners and giving up your seat for them!

We took the train into Rome last year with one medium bag and one smaller carry-on each. We walked to the train station, which wasn't bad at all. There are some steps to get up to the station, and a long flight down and then back up to where we had to catch our train--kind of hard, but we managed. (Some trains arrive right at the station and you don't need to take any stairs there, but we missed that train by seconds.)

The train was very crowded and we and our luggage were squeezed into the vestibule area that is between cars for most of the trip. There was practically not even standing room, I more or less perched on my luggage.

Two seats did open up about 2/3 of the way to Rome in the car right next to us, so we grabbed them and we did leave our two big bags in the area between the cars--there would have been no room in the car itself.

We were really close and could keep an eye on them; also, the between-car area was so crowded you'd have had to be a very dedicated thief to even try to get off with them. It worked out fine. We were 65 and 64 at the time, in pretty good shape, but still I found it hard to get my heavier case up to the train; however, besides my DH, other people helped as well.

Don't forget to get your ticket validated in the yellow box!

The Trastevere station has elevators at each track, so no need to lug there. Civitavecchia does not have elevators, so if your train comes in on one of the outer tracks, you will need to descend one fight and climb back up on the other side of the tracks. It is a normal flight of approximately 12 - 15 steps.

Also be aware that there may be a couple of steps into the train car.

We had to negotiate the down and up stairs under the rr track in Mestre with two large roller bags (45-50lbs each) and two smaller carryons. I am 63, and I managed to go up and down the stairs. It just required taking a few steps at a time. It was a effort, but not a big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello cruise friends traveling through Civitavecchia. We just returned from our cruise on the RCI Mariner a week ago and can recommend using the official RCI transportation. It went so smoothly and was so worry free since you book it all in advance and don't have to worry about surprises with the driver not showing, trying to charge you more, etc. I know there are less expensive ways to get there, but in order to avoid unwanted stress at the beginning of your vacation, I would really recommend some kind of organized transportation and not to do it on your own unless you are a well seasoned traveller and speak Italian.

In case you are interested, I recently posted a video guide to the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal itself. You can check it out here:

That at least gives you an idea of what to expect once you get to the port. Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
Hello cruise friends traveling through Civitavecchia. We just returned from our cruise on the RCI Mariner a week ago and can recommend using the official RCI transportation. It went so smoothly and was so worry free since you book it all in advance and don't have to worry about surprises with the driver not showing, trying to charge you more, etc. I know there are less expensive ways to get there, but in order to avoid unwanted stress at the beginning of your vacation, I would really recommend some kind of organized transportation and not to do it on your own unless you are a well seasoned traveller and speak Italian.

In case you are interested, I recently posted a video guide to the Civitavecchia Cruise Terminal itself. You can check it out here:

That at least gives you an idea of what to expect once you get to the port. Have fun!

I am also booked on Mariner on 6/16. How much did Royal charge? I only saw an excursion option on their website, but all I need is a transfer.

I am also booked on Mariner on 6/16. How much did Royal charge? I only saw an excursion option on their website, but all I need is a transfer.

Sorry, we booked it all as a package together, so I can't tell you how much the transportation cost individually. Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they should be able to find out for you.

Sorry, we booked it all as a package together, so I can't tell you how much the transportation cost individually. Did you book through a travel agent? If so, they should be able to find out for you.

This is a 5 year old thread and info in it could be outdated or invalid.

I booked directly through RCI but booked the airfare separate. Seems that the transfer is almost $400 if its for 2 people.

Archived