My daughter is MAD at Carnival

Laurab23

She booked her cruise for next year last month. She made her deposit and got her airline tickets booked. Got a letter from her TA today saying her cruise is cancelled because some company chartered the whole ship for that week. She is so so upset! Has anyone else had that happen to them? If so,what did you do about it and how did Carnival make it up to you. She had gone on nine Carnival cruises in the last few years so she is a pretty good customer. She is a teacher so she is limited to school vacations as to when she can go. This was for next April. If she has to change her plane tickets that will cost her extra money. Plus this cruise was on a new ship with the perfect itinerary. She doesn't want to end up on an older ship and go to the same places she went last year. I told her to check with other cruise lines if Carnival doesn't do right by her! I know it says in Carnival's book that this can happen but I just can't believe her luck.

Laura

Hi:Mad at Carnival' Mom

I suggest she tries Royal Caribbean. She will never go back to the other. Trust me...

Does the same apply for me? Iwent on RCCL 4 times and then CCL 4 times.....I'll not likely go back to RCCL for a long time....trust me.

I also suggest she call Carnival about this, they may be able to help.

Carnival has the right to cancel the cruise due to a charter. I never knew that until I started to read these boards though. I don't think that most people who cruise know that.

I am not sure what Carnival will be able to do for your daughter though. They can offer her to sail on another ship, but like you said she won't want to go on an older ship.

My recommendation would be to try another cruise line for the same time so that the airline tickets don't go to waste. There are other lines out there besides RCL that are comparable to CCL.

LovestocruiseRCL: I sailed on 3 Carnival cruises and my last cruise was Royal. Although it was a great time I cant see me going on another. At least I tried one and found it just wasnt for me. I am gonna try out Princess after my next 2 carnival cruises.

Did she put any money down on the cruise? (Odds are it's a "yes".) Unless the charter booked before your daughter, I'd fight it. A cruise is usually first come, first serve. Have her call Carnival directly and start pitching a fit.

Carnival has the right to cancel the cruise due to a charter. I never knew that until I started to read these boards though. I don't think that most people who cruise know that. QUOTE]

Maybe most people don't know it, but it's from lack of doing their 'homework'. All booking agents know that this is one of Carnival's policies....as stated in all of their cruise books. I must be one of the few who pick up current brochures from local travel agency offices.:confused: And I actually read them to stay up-to-date. It's probably also on their website in the "things to know" section.

Laurab, I understand your daughter's frustration. Within the past several days, someone else also reported that their cruise was cancelled due to a charter; may have been the same cruise, I don't remember.

Seems she said they told her they could book her on the same ship for the following week.

Check back several pages (or do a search) and look for that post. Had LOTS of comments. I think the title was something like "Cruise Cancelled".

What date was her cruise in April? I booked the Carnival Valor for April 17th Yesterday I tried looking that date up on both the Carnival website and Travelocity and could not find anything listed for the 17th. I called Carnival to ask them why the 17th was not showing up and the guy asked for my booking number and verified my info. I asked him if the ship was sold out and he said it was close to being sold out. Something seems strange, I wonder if I am going to get the same letter saying our cruise is cancelled. I hope not!:confused:

What date was her cruise in April? I booked the Carnival Valor for April 17th Yesterday I tried looking that date up on both the Carnival website and Travelocity and could not find anything listed for the 17th. I called Carnival to ask them why the 17th was not showing up and the guy asked for my booking number and verified my info. I asked him if the ship was sold out and he said it was close to being sold out. Something seems strange, I wonder if I am going to get the same letter saying our cruise is cancelled. I hope not!:confused:

PtCruiser

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Herbalife charted Valor for the April 17th Voyage. Im surprised Carnival didnt tell you that when you spoke with them. Someone on either this site or one of the other cruise-related sites mentioned that Carnival offered $100 toward airfare and the chance to book on another cruise. I know it must be frustrating. That is Spring Break for lots of people and its problematic to change plans, plus Im sure you wanted to sail on the newest ship in the Fleet.

Hello,

Sorry for the inconveinence...but.........things like this happen.

What do you EXPECT Carnival to do? REfund the airline ticket price?

WDo you realize how many people have been on Carnival multiple times? ALOT !!!!!! Why is your daughter any more special than me, for instance?

Anyways...get over it and move on. ANY cruise line can and will do that...if the price is right....

Good luck

Sorry for the inconveinence...but.........things like this happen.

What do you EXPECT Carnival to do? REfund the airline ticket price?

I think that would only be fair.........She had a Contract ! i suppose Carnival's new policy is: "Let The Buyer Beware":(

Carnival may have the right to make changes.......

BUT, give me a gaint break here.......They gotta expect to pay the price.........in dollars & in bad publicity.

Wow-that was kinda harsh. And no,I don't think she's any more special than anyone else. I would expect anyone to be upset over this. At least I know she's not alone getting kicked off the ship and now she knows who chartered the ship. If only she could go the next week,she would but being a teacher she has no other time than that week.

Laura

First of all, this is a prime example of why people should get travel insurance. I'm not sure but it may have helped with the airfare?????

From what I have read on these boards Carnival will give her the option to cancel with full refund, or rebook at another date and possibly give her and upgrade along with a ship credit for the inconvenience.

I'm sorry that she is inconvenienced and she must be very disappointed...but sometimes when disappoinents occur, something better comes up.

Make sure she calls Carnival and asks them what they plan on doing for her to make this up.

Hello,

HARSh ??? Are you kidding me? It's the bottom line truth.

I respect teachers......i give them a lot of credit for hard work and being underpaid......and i do have a question since i do not understand the workings of a teacher and their year./....do teachers get vacation or sick time? Personal time off? OR is it just when school is out you get time off....

But again if you really look at the 'contract'...so to speak...Carnival has a right to do just about anything they want. Cancelling a cruise, so what, book another time and ship. can't do that...guess what..there are how many other cruise lines? The world doesn't stop there.

Of course your daughter is upset and rightfully so. I do believe that Carnival cares about their passengers so write to bdickinson@carnival.com and I'm sure he cares as he has shown so many times to past Carnival guests who have contacted him. You should get a letter back within a short period of time and I sure he will do something for your daughter. I have written to him several times and always get a promp reply. Carnival does care. Please keep us informed as to his reply.

This is clearly covered with your travel insurance policy,your cruise was cancelled.If you were foolish not to purchase insurance than you might want to play the airline ticket game. Since you are a year out, watch the flight times and as soon as they change them, which they always do,start screaming that it is no good for you and try for a refund.

Steve

Laurab23 - I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's cruise. As a fellow teacher, I know how frustrating it is to try to plan vacations around certain weeks. Unfortunately, it is the right of every cruiseline to charter a ship - I think I have seen a few instances of that on every board here - it is certainly not just a Carnival issue.

I respect teachers......i give them a lot of credit for hard work and being underpaid......and i do have a question since i do not understand the workings of a teacher and their year./....do teachers get vacation or sick time? Personal time off? OR is it just when school is out you get time off....

I won't speak for all teachers, but for myself I get zero personal time off and zero sick time. The time off I get happens when school is out of session. That's it! Obviously, sicknesses do occur, so a sub would step in. I wouldn't suggest to a teacher calling in sick for an entire week to be able to take a vacation - you would be out of a job!!!!!

RE: trying to get Carnival to let you on this ship:

Even if they would, you might want to rethink that. All activities & perhaps even the food will be geared to "HerbaLife". I would imagine that you would start to feel out of place, or out of the loop come the end of the week if that didn't appeal to you. So sorry for your inconvenience. Maybe contacting the airlines might not be a bad idea. Perhaps when you see what their cancellation fee is, you could try & negotiate something w/Carnival vs trying to get them to cough up the entire fee. Good luck.

Archived