My daughter is MAD at Carnival

Laurab23

Sorry for the inconveinence...but.........things like this happen.

What do you EXPECT Carnival to do? REfund the airline ticket price?
WDo you realize how many people have been on Carnival multiple times? ALOT !!!!!! Why is your daughter any more special than me, for instance?

YEAH!!! CArnival should refund the airline ticket, refund the cruise, plus give a free cruise in the future for the inconvenience of destroying vacation plans that are often made many months in advance. Just because they say they can do it DOES NOT give them the right to do it. I have read that thing about the full charter booking every time I've booked a cruise, and I have to tell you that what it says does not make itself clear. If I put up a sign in my business that says "Not Responsible for Accidents" It DOES NOT relieve me from my responsiblity, no matter how much I would like to be right.
I recommend writing Conde Naste Traveler Magazine. The travel industry listens to them and they will often help you out with problems like this.

[quote name='barbemm']I get a cash bonus every month and a free vacation[/QUOTE]

No, you get little to no base compensation, and subsist on commissions. As for the "free" vacation, whoopee-doo, I'll take the option of using funds from a meaningiful annual bonus to decided exactly when and where to vacation, and not one dominated by "rah rah rah" activities celebrating a creepy, cultish company.

[quote name='barbemm']I was only trying to give the facts[/QUOTE]

Oh, such as how you are paid? Yes, certainly....

[quote name='barbemm']and for someone who has absolutely no knowledge of my companies policies[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm now better read on them than I ever wanted to be, given the scores of stories people have posted online about their horrific experiences being recruited by Herb-a-scam....

[quote name='barbemm']stick to the facts of this thread.[/QUOTE]

The fact I have is what is bothering you so. Ponzi-scheme apologists hate being called out....

[quote name='TXRoo']Errr, are y'all bored? Dredging up threads from July of last year. *tsk tsk* :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]I missed this thread the first time around apparently. I'm glad that this thread was "dredged" up.[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#000080]Incidentally, I have a friend who was a regional high mucky mucky in the Herb-a-scam ponzi scheme garnering Million$ from it. Some of his stories make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. He's now an investment "[b]advisor[/b]" doing, in his words, "essentially the same thing". :D And the beat goes on . . . . [/color][/size][/font][/i]

• 1 month later...
I booked my December 25 cruise in January. I couldn't book air at that time because it is not posted yet!! How did the OP make her airline rezzies so far in advance? I booked my air thru the cruise knowing that I can cancel that part if I choose to make my own later on if it is at lower price.

[quote name='mikeymars']No, you get little to no base compensation, and subsist on commissions. As for the "free" vacation, whoopee-doo, I'll take the option of using funds from a meaningiful annual bonus to decided exactly when and where to vacation, and not one dominated by "rah rah rah" activities celebrating a creepy, cultish company.

Oh, such as how you are paid? Yes, certainly....

Actually, I'm now better read on them than I ever wanted to be, given the scores of stories people have posted online about their horrific experiences being recruited by Herb-a-scam....

The fact I have is what is bothering you so. Ponzi-scheme apologists hate being called out....[/QUOTE]

Scam...maybe you can explain this away too, lol...makes me laugh at people who are totally misinformed and feel the need to attack people on a message board..guess it makes you feel important...but this is a cruise message board not a place for your forum or agendas.

DAILY MESSAGE
Wednesday – April 27, 2005

BUSINESS WOMAN OF THE YEAR - 2004! (obviously picture won't post)..but go to white house page if you would like to see it.
From left to right - Miss Jennifer Peterson; First Lady, Mrs. Laura Bush;
President of the United States, Mr. George Bush; Mr. John Peterson Jr. &
Ms. Susan Peterson

Susan Peterson - Chairman's Club Member
Business Woman of the Year - 2004

I'm sorry your daughter's cruise was cancelled. My husband is a teacher so I know what it's like to plan vacations around school breaks. He gets sick days and personal days, but he hasn't used any of them because he doesn't want to leave "his kids" in the hands of a sub any more often than absolutely necessary.

Anyhow- my guess is that she book her air travel through Carnival. Had she done that, then Carnival might be responsible for replacing/refunding the price of the tickets. But if she elected to find her own air transportation, then it's on her. As far as the airlines are concerned, the flight and the cruise are two separate entities. Canceling the cruise doesn't mean she HAS to cancel the airfare- from their perspective, she can still fly to (Miami or wherever), whether or not she gets on the cruise ship is immaterial to the airlines.

On the other hand, if she had booked the travel through Carnival (or at least through the same agent), it would all be considered ONE trip, and the agent would be responsible for it.

sorry, and I hope things work out for her. Maybe Carnival will be willing to help her find an alternate trip for that week, and make it worth her while. Surely her original cruise isn't the only one available for that week......???

• 2 months later...
[quote name='PTcruisers']What date was her cruise in April? I booked the Carnival Valor for April 17th Yesterday I tried looking that date up on both the Carnival website and Travelocity and could not find anything listed for the 17th. I called Carnival to ask them why the 17th was not showing up and the guy asked for my booking number and verified my info. I asked him if the ship was sold out and he said it was close to being sold out. Something seems strange, I wonder if I am going to get the same letter saying our cruise is cancelled. I hope not!:confused:[/QUOTE]

That cruise leaves on April 16th...maybe that's why you are having trouble finding it on the web site. I am booked on that same cruise and have not heard anything yet. On the plus side...all different schools in all different states have different vacation weeks...so maybe we will be spared. :)

[quote name='gumdrop38']I am hoping carnival gave you the difference to change air...if you have prepurchased it.............[/QUOTE]

Gumdrop-- if you buy your own air-- you are on your own- If you purchased air through thte cruiselines it will get reimbursed.
But this is a VERY old post. and Im sure she worked it out by now.

[quote name='Darkkskyzz']That cruise leaves on April 16th...maybe that's why you are having trouble finding it on the web site. I am booked on that same cruise and have not heard anything yet. [/QUOTE]

Ummmm...........this thread is over a year old. The OP was talking about a cruise that sailed April 17, 2005. You have nothing to worry about unless someone else charters it.

When I book a cruise I always wait until closer to cruise time to get my flight. Usually you can get a better price. This allows for any changes that might happen. Just something to think about in the future.
I think Carnival will give you some on board credit towards a different flight. If you used a TA she might be able to get flight changed by saying she made an error. My Ta told me one flight and order the other she just called airline and they changed it for her. It is worth a try.

[quote name='shungirl']I am a TA and it happens to all lines. I have had it happen on RCCL and HAL. It makes you mad, because you try to do the right thing and book early. My advice is always book the air with CCL (even though seperate is usually cheaper) and you wont be stuck with cancel and change fees. CCL will pick up some of the costs, but since she did it seperate, they are no liable for it. I have been on all lines, and love CCL the most. I will NEVER go on RCCL again. I went on the Explorer and it was nasty, the people were nasty, and the food and service HORRIBLE!! Anyway, everything happens for a reason... keep that in mind... for some reason, it was not meant for her to be on that ship[/QUOTE]

A TA with such a biased opinion towards RCI ...hhmm?? bet your great at your job...Do you also tell your customer that Carnival caters to the trail park clientele

My comment is regarding air too. I have checked way in advance before for different trips and found I couldn't even book for the following year...and if I could, it was way too expensive. Found a good deal on an Alaskan cruise once and booked it 8 months in advance. I found the best airfare about 3 months before our trip.

Carnival has the right to cancel the cruise due to a charter. I never knew that until I started to read these boards though. I don't think that most people who cruise know that. QUOTE]

Maybe most people don't know it, but it's from lack of doing their 'homework'. All booking agents know that this is one of Carnival's policies....as stated in all of their cruise books. I must be one of the few who pick up current brochures from local travel agency offices.:confused: And I actually read them to stay up-to-date. It's probably also on their website in the "things to know" section.

Comeon,

We all know posted policies and adhesion contracts aren't worth the bandwidth to display them. I can't believe how many people on these boards are quick to throw out the company line and their contracts. The contracts and policies mean nothing to the average consumer and are usually defeatable, only problem is that when a big company decides to bow to big money or whatever, it's not economically feasible for the average consumer to be protected.

Just realize Carnival, RCL, WALMART, MICROSOFT or whomever have a large team of lawyers that know the contracts are generally BS (I know I am one of the mega corporation attorney), but also know a $1k cruiseor $20 phone bill will cost alot more then the consumer can afford to fight it.

Michael

Keep pushing and don't stop till they at least double the credit to compensate you for your trouble AND upgrade you! I would also try sending certified/registered mail to Bob and anyone else that may help. Maybe even "cc" some travel magazines and major cruise companies on the letter itself. As hard as it probably is, kill them with kindness in your words both on paper and on the phone and speak about Customer Service, Repeat Business, Word of Mouth, them stepping up to the plate, etc.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Letters are more effective than email. It's all in the way you approach the person on the other end. Good Luck.

Archived