Concern about Anytime Dining when traveling alone

rwalls

I am a retired male travelling alone on the Star Jan. 10-26 to Antarctica. Online with Princess I noticed I have been assigned Anytime Dining. On 14 previous cruises I have had traditional dining assignments which I looked forward to because a permanent seating assignment always gave me an opportunity to meet new people and make some friendships. My concern is that Anytime Dining may deny me that opportunity, and for 16 days as a solo traveler, that's a real concern. Anyone who has experienced Anytime Dining, please will me in on how it works..........

1. If I as a single came to the dining room, would I most likely be seated at a table with other diners, or possibly alone?

2. On special nights when traditional diners are treated to waiter presentations, are those also presented to Anytime Dining?

I booked my cruise quite early in April and requested early traditional seating. I was sure at that early time it would not be an issue for Princess to grant me my request. And inasmuch as I had to pay Single Fare (1 1/2 times normal fare) I rather expected it. But even restaurants discriminate against single diners when it comes to seating. Perhaps Princess is no different. Please give me some idea as to what I can expect. If I have an opportunity to interact with others when eating, I'm sure all will be fine. Thanks, Marlin

To answer your two specific questions:

1. When you arrive at the dining room, the maitre d' will ask if you would like to join others at a table, and that seems to be the default. If you want to dine alone, you actually have to specifically ask.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by waiter presentations -- like the Baked Alaska silliness? No, they don't do that in Anytime.

Hopefully you're on the waitlist for your preference of Traditional Dining. That's one of the few benefits of traveling solo -- it shouldn't be hard for them to find one seat for one diner in the Traditional Dining room!

Have a wonderful time -- sounds like an incredible cruise.

:) i did anytime dining on princess alone & had option of a table for 2 (thus i could dine alone) OR i could be seated w/others...actually, its easier to get a seat w/others if its crowded and u dont want to wait. only thing is its not going to be the same "others'' every night. i liked the option of no set time but you can make a reservation for anytime restaurants-i would advise you to do so on formal nights-just call concierge/guest services

My mom and I had anytime dining. We were asked everynight if we wanted to be seated with others. Every night we sat with different people. We met more people this way than we would have with traditional dining. We met so many wonderful people from different places.

Have wonderful time. :)

I really think that anytime dining has a few advantages for you - you won't be stuck at a bad table for the entire cruise. You can ask every night to join a larger table, as others have said this is the norm, so you won't have to eat alone if you don't want to. And, if you should happen to make friends along the way, you can plan on eating together at least occasionally -- this is not an option in traditional. If you go into this with an open mind, it reallycould work out well. But there is no reason to feel uncomfortable, in any case --- there are people milling around the maitre d' during dining hours, he will happily seat you in whatever way you request.

I have been on two cruises travelling alone. I love anytime dining. The maitre d' knew I was alone, sat me at a table of 8, and always with a window view. He even sat me at the same table on this last cruise but the other people changed. LOL . I think travelling alone offers some advantages....the maitre d' got to know me and took care of me. I really felt special. Don't worry...you will have fun.

Grace

You all have been very encouraging. I just needed y'alls perspective which has really helped. I enjoy meeting people, and now that I know I can be seated at tables with others, it should be fine. Thanks for the encouragement!

Marlin

Have you joined a roll call for your upcoming cruise? That is another great way to meet people who will be traveling on your cruise.

I think you'll like Anytime DIning - you'll probably never have to wait for a table since you want to be seated with others. And don't discount the specialty restaurants - when we ate at Sabatini's, there was a woman sitting at a table next to us that was dining alone - we had a wonderful conversation with her throughout dinner and if we had room at our table, we would have invited her to sit with us, too.

Have a great time and let us know if you liked Anytime.

1. If I as a single came to the dining room, would I most likely be seated at a table with other diners, or possibly alone?

2. On special nights when traditional diners are treated to waiter presentations, are those also presented to Anytime Dining?

Thanks, Marlin

Marlin, on all 6 of our Princess cruises DW and I have selected Anytime Dining. We have meet the most enjoyable people and it does not matter whether they were alone or not. One memorable evening, a lady we had met earlier in the day on an excursion joined us for dinner and we asked for an eight topper. We were so lucky to have not one, but two single gentlemen join us that evening (it did not seem that they knew each other prior to dinner). As dinner progressed, DW and I, along with the other couple kinda became obscure. The three of them were the life of the table. The following day, we were so pleased to see the lady having a wonderful time next to the pool with one of the gentlemen from dinner.

To DW and I, Anytime Dining provides us with so many opportunites to meet so many different people...we totally enjoy it. On the flip side, it provides us the opportunity to have dinner with people we have met during the cruise and then have dinner with them.

I, too, love Anytime Dining, but just in case you decide you would rather do Traditional, several members here have reported that you can go to the dining room shortly after you board and talk to the Maitre d' and see if you can get switched to Traditional.

Have a great cruise!

I usually cruise by myself. Anytime I have not made it off the waitlist for traditional dining, I check in immediately after boarding to request traditional. I have always been given a table assignment by the second night. I've done the anytime dining for only one cruise, and I still prefer a large table in traditional.

My suggestion is to see the Matre'd and see if you can be assigned Traditional as you say you prefer. I would think as a single it would be easy to get you into a table that has a odd number of people. We had a late traditional on one cruise an had two single travelers (a woman from England and a man from Calif) at our table.

I agree.... it was nice having more diversity at our table that prompted more discussions.

1. I would think a 95% chance of being seated with a group.

2. If you mean something like the "parade of the baked Alaska", no. Anything else that would be done for an individual table, yes.

Having traveled alone in the past, I think there would be two separate lines of thought...1.) in Traditional dining, the Maitre de is more likely to place you at a table with other people dining alone. Singles plus couples makes for a nice mix at dinner. Only singles feels a bit forced. And 2.) at Anytime Dining, you'll certainly meet more people, but might frequently be the only single at the table (with an empty seat). If that doesn't bother you, I'd say go for it. If you'd prefer to be with other singles, I'd suggest speaking with the Maitre de about getting into Traditional.

I am a retired male travelling alone on the Star Jan. 10-26 to Antarctica. Online with Princess I noticed I have been assigned Anytime Dining. On 14 previous cruises I have had traditional dining assignments which I looked forward to because a permanent seating assignment always gave me an opportunity to meet new people and make some friendships. My concern is that Anytime Dining may deny me that opportunity, and for 16 days as a solo traveler, that's a real concern. Anyone who has experienced Anytime Dining, please will me in on how it works..........

quote]

Greetings, fellow solo traveler, Marlin--

I depart for my first solo cruise (my 18th overall) on Oct 20 and was also assigned anytime which I had always avoided. BUT, I was MORE concerned about getting "stuck" at a fixed table of people I didn't care to be with!! So I didn't get on the waitlist for traditional late seating.

I've paid the dreaded single supplement often but have never sailed without friend or family in a cabin down the corridor so I made up my mind that I would try to turn my apprehensions into a totally NEW and different way of cruising. I'm trying to let go of old expectations (enjoying watching the dining room schtick, joking with a waiter who knows your preferences by week's end, etc.) and re-invent my cruise experience. Maybe you could look at it like that --- a grand adventure (ooooooooooh, that's corny -- also true!). But I do think being active in Roll Call for your sailing is key.

My attempt at solving the dining dilemma: I became a frequest contributor to the Roll Call for my cruise (Crown Princess, 10-20) and I've joined with some other solo cruisers (though we're open to being joined by couples) I met there to form our own "traditional/anytime" dining for 7:30PM (after my finally deciding that 6-something is too early and 8-something, actually too late)...either through reserving that time for the entire cruise, reserving it day by day, or meeting outside the dinng room and entering together! If you can wait till October 28 (the day after my return!!), I'll let you know how it turned out!!

Perhaps we'll cross paths at sea some day!

Bon appetit no matter what. :)

My mom and I had anytime dining. We were asked everynight if we wanted to be seated with others. Every night we sat with different people.

This was our experience in 2005 aboard the CB. Lots of fun talking to other people... Fast forward to 2007 and Crown and we were never once asked if we want to sit with others, it was always a table for four (2 adults and 2 girls 15 and 10).

You can take me with you and I will dine with you:)

Shelley

P.S. I think you will be fine with the dining option you have.

I wondered how long it would be before someone offered this option - LOL. :cool:

I travel with my teen-aged son who doesn't always want to join mom for dinner. Anytime dining is perfect for me. I have sat with so many interesting people and never have been seated alone. Also, if you make some friends on board (on a tour or through your roll call), you can plan to have dinner together.

However, as others have suggested, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get switched to Traditional if it's what you prefer.

Archived