NCL Crown 8/26 delayed sailing

beachin'

FYI for those traveling on NCL Crown's 8/26 Bermuda sailing -I just received a call from NCL (info is also on their website), that they experienced technical problems on their return to New York which will delay their arrival by a day. This will delay the 8/26 departure from New York by a day as well. They are now currently expected to leave New York on Monday 8/27. NCL is giving an onboard credit of 1/7 of the fare paid for those traveling on the abbreviated sailing, which I think is fair, but one less day in beautiful Bermuda is disappointing. Oh well, things could be worse.

Yes, it could have been much worse, they could have ran it aground like they did last year.

Here's the NCL press release:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_082407

Miami - Aug 24, 2007 ---

While returning to New York from Bermuda this afternoon, Norwegian Crown experienced a technical issue with the ship's starboard propeller shaft. While this has affected the speed of the ship, it has had no impact whatsoever on the safe operation of the vessel.

Unfortunately, the reduction of speed has resulted in a delayed arrival into New York. The ship will now arrive on Monday, August 27 between 6 and 8 a.m. instead of its scheduled arrival on Sunday, August 26. Once Norwegian Crown is alongside in New York on Monday, repair work will commence immediately. NCL anticipates that the repair work will be completed by the ship's new scheduled departure time of 4 p.m. on Monday.

Embarkation will be on Monday, August 27 at approximately 1 p.m. After departing New York on Monday, Norwegian Crown will sail the following revised itinerary to Bermuda:

Mon New York, NY 4:00 PM

Tue At Sea

Wed Hamilton, Bermuda 9:00 AM overnight

Thu Hamilton, Bermuda ---- overnight

Fri Hamilton, Bermuda ---- noon

Sat At Sea

Sun New York, NY 8:00 AM

NCL representatives are in the process of reaching out to all embarking guests to inform them of the delayed arrival and the revised itinerary.

NCL would like to thank its guests and travel partners for their patience and understanding. The company will be refunding one seventh of the cruise fare paid in the form of an on-board credit. In addition, NCL is offering a 10 percent future cruise credit on the cruise fare paid as a gesture of goodwill.

Guests sailing on Norwegian Crown with questions can call NCL at 866-234-5615. In addition, NCL will post updates on ncl.com as needed.

A propeller shaft problem most likely is a bearing problem. The bearing could be inside the ship, or outside of the ship along the shaft. The quicker to repair would be the bearing inside the ship.

Get ready to hear more about this Sunday night from those aboard her now. Many will be happy to have an extra day aboard free, many will be angry they missed their flights home.

So it is safe to assume that all future cruises on the crown will not encounter this issue? My family is on the 9/9 cruise and while it would be nice to have an extra day at sea I'd rather not be short a day. Last year we mssed St. George due to a hurricane.

So it is safe to assume that all future cruises on the crown will not encounter this issue? My family is on the 9/9 cruise and while it would be nice to have an extra day at sea I'd rather not be short a day. Last year we mssed St. George due to a hurricane.

NCL statement is that it will be repaired on Monday.

Good Luck and have a great cruise.

I am surprised you think that it is fair. If I took 1/7th x 2 of any of my cruise fares I would not be able to pay for a reasonable hotel in Manhattan on short notice. Then you start adding in meals and other unexpected expenses and you start to feel it. I am not a shopper but few things scare me as much as my credit card in New York and an extra day on my hands.

I feel pretty strongly on this one and have let NCL know about it, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11366436#post11366436

I am surprised you think that it is fair. If I took 1/7th x 2 of any of my cruise fares I would not be able to pay for a reasonable hotel in Manhattan on short notice. Then you start adding in meals and other unexpected expenses and you start to feel it. I am not a shopper but few things scare me as much as my credit card in New York and an extra day on my hands.

I feel pretty strongly on this one and have let NCL know about it, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11366436#post11366436

It was NOT stated that you would NOT board!

Enjoy your cruise:)

It will arrive in time for boarding;)

6 am to 8 am Monday morning isn't Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon. What about those who arrive Sunday morning to board Sunday afternoon, where are they going to sleep Sunday night?

Here's another case where travel insurance will probably cover the hotel bill on Sunday night.

I am surprised you think that it is fair. If I took 1/7th x 2 of any of my cruise fares I would not be able to pay for a reasonable hotel in Manhattan on short notice.

That's why most of us buy travel insurance, to cover unexpected events like this.

We were on the 7/22 Crown to Bermuda run. On the way back from Bermuda the captain mentioned passengers might feel a little extra vibration because they were doing tests of the propulsion system. I started watching the wake and they were turning one shaft off and on all day long. If I remember correctly the port side shaft would be on, then off -- for various periods of time. I wasn't timing it, but it would be off for 30 minutes, then on for 10, off for 40, on for 20...throughout the day. I wonder if that was related to this problem?

Even with the tests, we didn't seem to be in any danger of getting back to NYC late. In fact, later in the day the ship seemed to be going slower -- I just figured they had calculated the distance/time and set the speed for an appropriate arrival time back in NYC.

I feel sorry for the folks that will miss a day in Bermuda, but I bet the folks on board the Crown will enjoy an extra (free!) day at sea.

That's why most of us buy travel insurance, to cover unexpected events like this.

We were on the 7/22 Crown to Bermuda run. On the way back from Bermuda the captain mentioned passengers might feel a little extra vibration because they were doing tests of the propulsion system. I started watching the wake and they were turning one shaft off and on all day long. If I remember correctly the port side shaft would be on, then off -- for various periods of time. I wasn't timing it, but it would be off for 30 minutes, then on for 10, off for 40, on for 20...throughout the day. I wonder if that was related to this problem?

Even with the tests, we didn't seem to be in any danger of getting back to NYC late. In fact, later in the day the ship seemed to be going slower -- I just figured they had calculated the distance/time and set the speed for an appropriate arrival time back in NYC.

I feel sorry for the folks that will miss a day in Bermuda, but I bet the folks on board the Crown will enjoy an extra (free!) day at sea.

I don't think the passengers who had Sunday flights or had to go to work on Monday appreciate the extra day at sea? What compensation will they get?

I don't think the passengers who had Sunday flights or had to go to work on Monday appreciate the extra day at sea? What compensation will they get?

I would expect the folks with Sunday flights to get compensation, it's something the cruise lines typically take care of. We'll find out soon enough, when the folks on this cruise get home and begin posting.

As for going to work on Monday, I can't imagine any employer not understanding that things like this happen. I know my employer would understand. If one's employer didn't understand...maybe it's time to look for a better place to work.

A hotel in NYC for Sunday night could be expensive. I can imagine some folks are already on the road and will not be notified and will not know until they show up at the pier on Sunday morning to find NO SHIP.

(good reason to make sure you have a cell phone in your records)

Insurance - this could be interesting. I beleive some policies will not reimburse you if you already were taken care of. Meaning, if NCL gives you money (OBC) for Sunday cruising and it basically covers your hotel cost for Sunday night, then no insurance, right?

This whole thing will cost NCL plenty. Rebooking flights will be a major hassle in particular.

Re: getting to work a day late. If your company can not deal with it, the above poster may be right by saying it is time to find a better employer.

My parents are on this cruise. She called me last night around 9pm est to tell me about the delay. She said before they decided to just go more slowly, there was talk about actually turning around and going back to Bermuda. Whether this was just talk amongst the crew and passengers or if they actually considered it, who knows. That would have been much more expensive for the cruise line to get everyone home from Bermuda. Another reason for considering going back may have been an odor that passengers were complaining about on deck 9 which is the deck my parents are on. She also said they were not being charged for the phone call. Everyone was getting a 15 minute free phone call home. My mother is probably one of the few who is not enjoying the extra day even though they live in NJ and have no flights or work to worry about. I haven't heard all the details yet but it doesn't sound like she was all that thrilled with this cruise. I'll post more when I hear more from her.

I certainly understand what you're saying. I should have said, with my circumstances, it is fair, being that I live in the area and don't have to worry about an extra day of expenses/flight issues, etc. Hopefully NCL will make concessions for those in other situations - I've been in that situation myself in the past.

Any new news?

Not that I'm aware of. NCL has called me three times with the same automated recording. I guess they're just trying to make sure they get the message out. I do think, however, that they should credit us for the port charge/tax for one less night in Bermuda since part of those taxes are calculated on a fairly high "per night in Bermuda" basis. Almost one half of my total cruise fare is government fees/port charges/taxes. The one-seventh onboard credit applies to the base cruise fare only, and so far, they're not budging with regards to the tax.

Not that I'm aware of. NCL has called me three times with the same automated recording. I guess they're just trying to make sure they get the message out. I do think' date=' however, that they should credit us for the port charge/tax for one less night in Bermuda since part of those taxes are calculated on a fairly high "per night in Bermuda" basis. Almost one half of my total cruise fare is government fees/port charges/taxes. The one-seventh onboard credit applies to the base cruise fare only, and so far, they're not budging with regards to the tax.[/quote']

I agree with you on the port tax refund for St George. We go Sept 30th. Our cruise fare was so cheap and we really would not have that much back if this happened our week.

Have a great time

I would expect the folks with Sunday flights to get compensation, it's something the cruise lines typically take care of. We'll find out soon enough, when the folks on this cruise get home and begin posting.

As for going to work on Monday, I can't imagine any employer not understanding that things like this happen. I know my employer would understand. If one's employer didn't understand...maybe it's time to look for a better place to work.

MANY employers wouldn't understand and not everyone has the freedom to just find another place to work. Also, many people work at jobs with hourly wages. If they aren't at work - they don't get paid!

Archived