Best Way to get to Heathrow from Southampton

We are sailing on the Crown Princess...and we would like some help and information as to HOW to get from Heathrow Airport in London TO and FROM the PORT in Southhampton to the cruise ship. Should we take the ship's transfers, or is there an easier less expensive way to do this.. any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Natalie

The ship's transfers might be the easiest way if you are arriving the day of the cruise. Cheap no but convenient.

However, if you are coming in before the day of the cruise you might want to consider the bus - National Express. They have direct service into the centre of Southampton with limited stops along the way. Its about a 2 hour journey if I am not mistaken. The prices are decent and the buses are clean and modern.

There is no direct rail link from Heathrow and any other service really means you have to go into London first to go to Southampton. Since we arrived the day before our cruise last year and were spending the night in Southampton we decided to do the National Express service to avoid heading into the big city for nothing.

Of course, there are always private car hires if you want to avoid public transportation. I am sure some other people can quote prices and efficiency for you.

David

There is no direct rail link from Heathrow and any other service really means you have to go into London first to go to Southampton. Since we arrived the day before our cruise last year and were spending the night in Southampton we decided to do the National Express service to avoid heading into the big city for nothing.

There is also a every half hour Rail-Air shuttle bus from LHR to Woking, where you can board the train; south western mainline to Southampton Central (very near the ships). However, you're still probably better off with the direct coach. Cheap & faily quick

http://nationalexpress.co.uk/

The ship's transfers might be the easiest way if you are arriving the day of the cruise. Cheap no but convenient.

However, if you are coming in before the day of the cruise you might want to consider the bus - National Express. They have direct service into the centre of Southampton with limited stops along the way. Its about a 2 hour journey if I am not mistaken. The prices are decent and the buses are clean and modern.

Of course, there are always private car hires if you want to avoid public transportation. I am sure some other people can quote prices and efficiency for you.

David

Thank you for your quick response. We have decided to just take the ship's transfers since we will be arriving on the day of the cruise.

We would have taken National Express Bus Seravice if we had not decided to arrive day of cruise. Been to London many times, no need to go into the big city and the hassle.

:)

Natalie

• 1 month later...

Best way, by far:

1. Taxi to the bus depot (about 5 minutes)

2. Bus to Heathrow (usually less than 2 hour journey, with service approx every hour during the day).

Don't use the train to Heathrow: awkward and expensive

I agree with the others, if same day as the cruise I'd use the cruiseline transfer. Otherwise if coming in a day or two early National Express bus is a great way to go.

We used a private van service Gatwick to Southhmapton... for 4 people and baggage it was 150 pounds . and used a private van service in Citivecchio,,to fly back from Rome.. For the 4 of us it was 150 Euro's .. Much cheaper then Princess's transfers..

Hi, We'll also be going on the Crown/British Isles next summer. I spoke to Princess and they said the transfers are $69.00 each way by their coach. We are doing their transfers. This Aug did the Emerald Princess and took the transfers from the ship to Venice airport & Princess worked everything out perfectly. No hassles. This is definitely the easiest way to go.

Lucy

We used a private van service Gatwick to Southhmapton... for 4 people and baggage it was 150 pounds . and used a private van service in Citivecchio,,to fly back from Rome.. For the 4 of us it was 150 Euro's .. Much cheaper then Princess's transfers..

I've done both of these transfers;

Southampton Central -> LGW is GBP 20/ea on the train, and it takes 2 hours (direct train). I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Rome (termini) -> Civitavecchia on a charter bus, 9 Euro/e. Thanks to a cruise critic roll call, we chartered a 50 seat bus and put 49 people on it.

• 4 years later...
This thread dates from 2008 :D

Hi there,

You seem to be the font of information so I would love if you could help me solve the following. I have quotes from a few different companies for a transfer from Harwich cruise terminal to Heathrow at the beginning of July. The quotes range from a high of £265 to a low of £168 for an eight seat van. Of course quality and reliability come into play, but any thoughts on how to choose? Someone posted once that it is best to choose a company that is based at the port, so if anything goes wrong at the pick-up, they are close by to bring a new driver/van.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• 1 year later...

I would like to recommend Majestic Cars (UK) as a great service. http://www.majestictaxis.com. telephone 44 78100008767

We booked them to pick us up at Heathrow on 8th August 2014 to transport us to Southampton to board our Emerald Princess cruise around the Norweigian Fjords.

Unfortunately we had to cancel our holiday at the very last minute as my partner received a serious cancer diagnosis.

Majestic refunded our pre paid fare in full immediately. It was transferred straight back into our credit card account and then they followed up with a lovely get well email. They helped make what was a really upsetting week into a much more positive experience.

:)

I had very good luck with this service if you are interested in private transportation. I also found their prices to be very good when compared to other similar services.

http://smithsforairports.com/

Of course if price is the key issue, nothing beats the National Express Bus!

We are just off the Oceania cruise around the British Isles. We used Smith's from Heathrow to Southampton, from Southampton to our flat in Chelsea for a week, and from Southampton back to Heathrow to get home. Service could not have been better. Vans clean and drivers super friendly. Price was much less than what Oceania charged.

Edited by bchbms

Agree that a National coach (or equivalent) is the way to go.

The rail service via Woking is a good 30 - 40 minutes from Heathrow, and in that time you could be whizzing by Basingstoke on the M3. The coach is very comfortable and includes free Wifi.

A taxi might suit some people but you have to keep in mind the luggage requirements and your party size. It won't be cheaper than a coach to take a taxi for two people, but putting four in the car means there is no room for luggage. A seven-seater can take about one suitcase. Some companies will have vehicles that can take 7 passengers plus a reasonable amount of luggage but you need to know who they are.

If you do want to take a taxi from Heathrow, you must book it in advance. The only taxis that can pick up in Heathrow are black cabs and you really don't want to take one of these outside of London.

We are just off the Oceania cruise around the British Isles. We used Smith's from Heathrow to Southampton, from Southampton to our flat in Chelsea for a week, and from Southampton back to Heathrow to get home. Service could not have been better. Vans clean and drivers super friendly. Price was much less than what Oceania charged.

It's off the subject; but we'd appreciate it if you put on this thread, the London hotel thread, or by email (we can post our email address), how you chose your London apartment. We'll be on an Oceania cruise ending in Southampton next year, and we're going nuts trying to narrow down the choices of air conditioned apartments.

We're also interested in the transfers, since Oceania transfers cost more than a private car.