Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default QE2 news, saved or scrapped ?

Will the beloved Queen Elizabeth 2 be saved or srcapped?

According to a report on maritime matters the new owners run out of money.
http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

The author cites sources from Dubai that it is considered to open the ship again without alterations. Selling for scap would be another option.

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmm View Post
Will the beloved Queen Elizabeth 2 be saved or srcapped?

According to a report on maritime matters the new owners run out of money.
http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

The author cites sources from Dubai that it is considered to open the ship again without alterations. Selling for scap would be another option.
Maybe Cunard could lease it back until SOLAS regulations kick in and hopefully the economy improves. Then again, would they be able to fill the ship and run her profitably? I suspect most of QE2's fans are somewhat relieved at hearing this news, but concerned about her ultimate fate.

KenM
Costa Magica Apr 2007 Bermuda
Cunard QE2 Jan 2008 Winter Crossing
Cunard QE2 Oct 2008 Final Farewell to the UK
Cunard QM2 Jan 2011 Caribbean Calypso
Carnival Miracle Apr 2012 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Splendor Apr 2013 Bermuda

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Fingers crossed they could scale back the "slice and dice" they were planning to do and keep her more in line of what they did with QM at Long Beach.

Old February 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ships are very expensive to maintain. There is a reason why you see constant chipping and repainting along with revarnishing while the ship is underway. That also explains why the QM is one of the few ships that have been turned into a "hotel/tourist site" Although it has had cash flow issues.

The best hope is that Dubai has patience and will maintain the ship in the meantime, otherwise it will turn into another S. S. United States. I.E. layed up in some port rusting away, otherwise it could be sent to the breakers.

Old February 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

With the Queen Mary's lease auction failing and the investment group taking full control over her from the "Save The Queen Group" I wonder what will happen to both. Would be a big sight to see both side by side at Alang together.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Let us hope that Dubai World will either maintain her sympathetically, Cunard will lease her back or she will be sold to a consortium who would sympathetically look after her.

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wonder what will happen to all the historic memorabilia on board if this happens?

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

For me the only two things I would want to happen to the ship is:

1- Goes back into service
2- Resurrected as Seawise University 2
3- Is placed as a hotel anywhere other than Dubai however nothing is touched.
4- You are born, you live, you prosper, you die. Goes to Alang.

All better than being used as some cheap entertaintment centre for drunk Arabs.... (not meant as racist I am an Arab)
Norwegian Jewel Norwegian Cruise Line, 12 Night Northern Europe (Baltic Capitals) July 16, 2008
Marco Polo Transocean Tours, 11 Nights, Antarctica Soft Expedition December 16, 2008
Discovery (The Love Boat), Voyages of Discovery, 14 Nights Norway, Russia, Lofoten Islands, North Cape (Arctic) July 22, 2009
Seabourn Odyssey Seabourn Cruise Line, 7 Nights Agean Odyssey, July 10, 2010
Veendam Holland America Line, 7 Nights Bermuda, July 24, 2011
Norwegian Sky Norwegian Cruise Line, 3 Night Bahamian Getaway, August 5, 2011
Oceana P&O Cruises, 9 Nights Atlantic Shores, June 24, 2012
Crystal Serenity Crystal Cruises, 12 Nights Spanish Serenade, July 13, 2012
MSC Splendida, MSC Cruises, 7 Nights Western Mediterranean, December 17, 2012

111 perfect days at sea so far!

UPCOMING

VISITED (Ship visits while they are in port)

Dolous, AIDAdiva, Costa Classica, Costa Victoria

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahrain_not_dubai! View Post
For me the only two things I would want to happen to the ship is:

1- Goes back into service
2- Resurrected as Seawise University 2
3- Is placed as a hotel anywhere other than Dubai however nothing is touched.
4- You are born, you live, you prosper, you die. Goes to Alang.

All better than being used as some cheap entertaintment centre for drunk Arabs.... (not meant as racist I am an Arab)
I like the Seawise University 2 idea. Of course they'd still need the funds to update the ship to achieve the 2010 SOLAS requirements. We're actually running a little poll on what you like to see happen if the Dubai project fails:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925015

Click to Play!

Old February 10th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would like to see the QE2 sail for Cunard again. Based on the strong bookings and intense publicity received during the QE2's last year in service, it would be great if Cunard would buy back (or at least lease) the QE2 for additional sailings. Of course, this might irritate the people who paid a premium for the ship's final sailings. I sailed aboard the QE2 seven times and would love to sail aboard this ship again.
Sun Princess (June 10, 2015, 10-day Australia)
Ruby Princess (Sept. 25, 2015, 4-day West Coast Getaway)
Royal Princess (Nov. 20, 2015, 10-day Southern Caribbean Medley)
Navigator of the Seas (Feb. 20, 2016, 8-day Eastern Caribbean)

74 cruises completed - 56 different ships - 470 days cruising

Celebrity: 8 cruises, 51 days, 7 ships, including every class of ship from Horizon to Celebrity Solstice
Crystal: 5 cruises, 43 days, 2 ships, including 4 times on Crystal Harmony
Cunard: 13 cruises, 76 days, 5 ships, including Queen Elizabeth (Nov. 2012), 7 times on QE2, 3 times on QM2
Holland America: 5 cruises, 38 days, 5 ships, including Rotterdam V
Norwegian: 8 cruises, 53 days, 5 ships, including 4 times on SS Norway
Princess: 12 cruises, 84 days, 11 ships, including original Pacific Princess, maiden voyage of Royal Princess (June 2013), third cruise of Regal Princess (June 2014)
Royal Caribbean: 19 cruises, 105 days, 17 ships, including every class of ship from Sun Viking to Allure of the Seas
Other: 4 cruises, 20 days (American Hawaii, Costa, Epirotiki, Peninsular & Occidental)

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I think it would be rather expensive for Cunard to take the ship back. Crew, time to sell cabins etc. They sold the ship I think they are done with her.

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dan, unknowingly answered my next question. QE2 is not solas compliant. No way Cunard will take her back because that would have been on of the original reasons to retire her. I doubt any other cruise line would attempt to take on that project.

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatour View Post
Dan, unknowingly answered my next question. QE2 is not solas compliant. No way Cunard will take her back because that would have been on of the original reasons to retire her. I doubt any other cruise line would attempt to take on that project.
Lease the ship back, or perhaps even get the ship back for free with the provision to keep her operational. Cunard runs the ship until the end/begining of the new SOLAS regs. This buys time too for the economy to turn around. Dubai get the ship back then and then begins the transformation. Cunard gets a ship, we get to spend more money, helping the economy, and Dubai does not have to spend cash to maintain the ship while she sits idle. With the price of fuel way down now and perhaps a more leisurely schedule (cruise ship slow) she's be more economical to run too. Myles, pull some strings with your contacts and get this in the works!

It pains me to see the ship sitting idle at the dock, perfectly capable of being put back into service. I'm up for additional torture if this happens and we have to say goodbye all over again.

KenM
Costa Magica Apr 2007 Bermuda
Cunard QE2 Jan 2008 Winter Crossing
Cunard QE2 Oct 2008 Final Farewell to the UK
Cunard QM2 Jan 2011 Caribbean Calypso
Carnival Miracle Apr 2012 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Splendor Apr 2013 Bermuda

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

New SOLAS requirements go into affect Oct 2010. So at best if they immediately could start marketing it they would at best get 8 months of use. But IMHO that is being generous, since Cunard would still need to negotiate a lease back, book ports, arrange tours, and in the mean time they would have nothing to market.

Among the new requirements...

"Among the major points in the latest rules are requirements that there be two means of egress from all atrium levels; low-level lighting systems; installation of smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire detectors and fire alarm systems in all accommodations and service areas; and fireproof enclosures around all stairways.?

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

As much as we'd all like to see this happen, being realistic, it's very unlikely.

As it says on the Maritime matters log, it's more likely they will just open the ship to visitors as it is.
NCL Dawn. Transatlantic 2002
NCL Dawn.2004/2005
NCL Dream. 2004 Med
NCL Dream Transatlantic 2004/2006
NCL Pearl Transatlantic 2006
NCL Gem Transatlantic Unfortunately Not
NCL Jade Med in May 2008.
P&0 Aurora 2004

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Qe2

She's gone. Dead. An ex-parrot. Finished with engines. Gone to meet her maker. Caput. Shuffled off this mortal coil. Did I mention "dead"?

Please, please accept this!

There will NEVER be a better looking passenger ship and certainly there is no cruise ship afloat today with her external elegance and wonderful lines. She will be sadly missed, not least by me.

Whatever happens to her, opened "as is" as a hotel, painted pink, covered in bling or cut in half and a seventeen floor office block tucked in behind the Chart Room, she is no longer a Cunard ship, no more a liner. I'm sure that Cunard would have insisted on a "never go to sea again" clause.

Can you imagine Carnival (with a fleet of three new Cunard ships QM2 QV QE) taking back into service a ship that is forty years old? For fun? Because the three dozen QE2 fans who missed the last voyage want another chance? Because, in a world wide recession, Carnival want a chance to lose some serious money?

"Now, when I click my fingers, you'll be back in the real world..."

"It's not the only way to cross, but it's the only way to cross"

QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/

...over 1.75 million visits, thank you.

Last edited by pepperrn; February 11th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.

Old February 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I would not want to see her back in Cunard

(read Carnival's) hands again. Not only did they sell the ship to the highest bidder, but they sold practically everything else, including Aquitania's bell and Sam's Halifax cup. Nakheel at least are looking after her for the present. I hope they scale back the more radical 'refit' they planned to one more sympathetic to the ship as is. No matter what we think about it, the ship has been sold by Carnival 'from under our feet' so to speak, so we have to accept the fact, even though we deplore it.
1989 Canberra Auckland/Sydney
1990 Canberra Auckland/Sydney
1990 Sea Princess Syd/Auckland
1992 Achille Lauro Syd/Milford/Christchurch/Wellington/Auckland
1995 Canberra Auckland/Sydney
Best way to cross Tassie is by sea...

Old February 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperrn View Post
She's gone. Dead. An ex-parrot. Finished with engines. Gone to meet her maker. Caput. Shuffled off this mortal coil. Did I mention "dead"?

Please, please accept this!

There will NEVER be a better looking passenger ship and certainly there is no cruise ship afloat today with her external elegance and wonderful lines. She will be sadly missed, not least by me.

Whatever happens to her, opened "as is" as a hotel, painted pink, covered in bling or cut in half and a seventeen floor office block tucked in behind the Chart Room, she is no longer a Cunard ship, no more a liner. I'm sure that Cunard would have insisted on a "never go to sea again" clause.

Can you imagine Carnival (with a fleet of three new Cunard ships QM2 QV QE) taking back into service a ship that is forty years old? For fun? Because the three dozen QE2 fans who missed the last voyage want another chance? Because, in a world wide recession, Carnival want a chance to lose some serious money?

"Now, when I click my fingers, you'll be back in the real world..."
Pepper you can be so crooell!
Gari