What happened to Sonesta Beach?

PC 462

This was a beautiful hotel when we honeymooned there in 1984. The buildings, service, and grounds were wonderful! I understand it is closed and may be demolished for a new resort. Google maps show an aerial view of the curved main building. Does anyone know what happened to this hotel? How can such a great place fail? We are cruising to Bermuda next month and thought we might drop by the place.

Thanks!

Sonesta sustained quite a bit of damage during hurricane Fabian. We were there shortly afterwards and could see the damage from the road. As far as I know, it has been demolished and a new developer has/had plans to build a 150 room hotel/spa.There was also talk of a fractional ownership condo development.

We were at this property when it was the Carlton Beach. Such a beautiful hotel with its own little beach.

We would like to walk down the road and visit the property and possibly swim at the small beach to the right (I think it’s Boat Bay). Wondering if this is still possible?

• 1 year later...

We honeymooned at Sonesta Beach in October 1986... just beautiful! And the service was top notch.

Returned in 2000 under Wyndham ownership. It was still being repaired from Fabian. What a sad disappointment. Service was terrible, rooms were tired, food was not included and EXTREMELY pricey and not good at all. There was a silly "waterpark" added, but locals could come for the day, and made the place more like a cheap amusement park. :(

I wish we had stayed at the Southhampton Princess or Elbow Beach. It was so heartbreaking, after our beautiful memories of the wonderful time we had in 1986.

I honeymooned there in August 1986, and that was one of my first questions when I booked my cruise. I think I got the bad news from iheartbda.

Was so sorry to hear about the beautiful Sonesta's fate. In the 80's it was THE place to honeymoon in Bermuda.

• 1 year later...

Just throwing this out there but...

I worked as a waitor at Sonesta Bermuda from 82 to 86 and looked after the "HoneyMoon" section in the dining room.

I had a wonderful time looking aftr all of the newlyweds and made many many special and great friends way back and tons of great stories.

I remember the CIA guy, the peanut allergy lawyer, and the couples from NY, Boston, PA, and OHIO. Helped a couple with a moped flat, took care of some kids while mom and dad went to the beach, and even took a grandmother to the beach for a day (on my bike no less)

My name is Dan, I'm Canadian. Maybe I looked after you for a week?

If so...let me know how your doing. My e-mail is boileaud@mymts.net

BTW..I'm now a long time CC member and cruise every February. Next up is Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan on Feb 10 2013.

Dan in Winnipeg

• 7 months later...

sad to hear of the demise of the Sonesta . Spent our honeymoon there in 73 in room 601. Stopping in Bermuda in the fall on a cruise for our 40th. would've been nice to stop there for a drink or two. Oh well, at least we're still together after 40 years.

As long as this thread was reopened, it's probably worthwhile pointing out that the Green family, which owns the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, has just purchased the former Sonesta property, so after all these years there's new hope that the property will be redeveloped.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130319/NEWS04/703189906

As long as this thread was reopened, it's probably worthwhile pointing out that the Green family, which owns the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, has just purchased the former Sonesta property, so after all these years there's new hope that the property will be redeveloped.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20130319/NEWS04/703189906

Seems like the Green family is getting kudos from most of the comments.

As per the article, "also includes entitlement to 88 residential units, 47 of which are available for purchase by non-Bermudians, and a resort hotel”. Might have to look into the purchase of one. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, in my dreams.:D

• 6 months later...

They are doing some minor clearing of land there now, but nothing is going to happen until

1) the $70m+ refurbishments to the Fairmont Hamilton nears completion (The Greens own this too as well as Waterloo House which is a few buildings down from the FHP);

and 2) Government approves gambling in the hotels or completely rejects it. No one is going to start a project until they know which way the wind is blowing so they can design the hotel without having to make changes later.

Archived