Non-crowded beaches close to port

carben

My family is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to St. Martin and we want to just relax on a (non-crowded) beach and enjoy the sand and water. We would prefer to NOT have to take a cab or drive anywhere. Suggestions for locations close to the cruise dock? Or perhaps we should take a cab to somewhere close by? We do not want to be far from the port.

My family is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to St. Martin and we want to just relax on a (non-crowded) beach and enjoy the sand and water. We would prefer to NOT have to take a cab or drive anywhere. Suggestions for locations close to the cruise dock? Or perhaps we should take a cab to somewhere close by? We do not want to be far from the port.

Take the port shuttle ferry (or walk) to Great Bay, being the Port Bay.

Off the Ferry, turn left and keep walking past the crowded sections of the beach until you find a quiet spot you will like. The further you walk the quieter it gets. You can see the closeness of the ships from the beach.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Take the port shuttle ferry (or walk) to Great Bay, being the Port Bay.

Off the Ferry, turn left and keep walking past the crowded sections of the beach until you find a quiet spot you will like. The further you walk the quieter it gets. You can see the closeness of the ships from the beach.

There are documented pollution issues at this beach that have been going on for years. There should be signs up stating this. I know that the island visitors and the frequent vacationers know and stay away from this beach but I feel that the cruisers should be presented with the same information or better yet, clean it up for good!

Edited by Karysa

There are documented pollution issues at this beach that have been going on for years. There should be signs up stating this. I know that the island visitors and the frequent vacationers know and stay away from this beach but I feel that the cruisers should be presented with the same information or better yet, clean it up for good!

Well remembered.:)

The effluent levels are high at the start of the beach by Front Street. Then disperse towards the midtown ferry dock. The Further away the better.

I would be more concern about purchasing food from the beach front shacks. :eek:

That's super easy to avoid by going to a clean nice beach in the morning and going to one of the wonderful restaurants such as the Ocean Lounge at the Holland Hotel on the boardwalk for lunch. :)

Well remembered.:)

The effluent levels are high at the start of the beach by Front Street. Then disperse towards the midtown ferry dock. The Further away the better.

I even read that the Great Bay resort had to tell guests not to swim in the water right in front of the hotel before and that is way down the beach. With so many beaches to choose from why take the chance.

I even read that the Great Bay resort had to tell guests not to swim in the water right in front of the hotel before and that is way down the beach. With so many beaches to choose from why take the chance.

Like this?

It's a matter of topography.

Take a look at this Google Earth shot:

th_Topography.jpg

(click)

All of the area inside the line drains down ultimately into Great Bay. The sewer system itself is deficient, and MUCH of the area is on septic systems (if anything) that sometimes malfunction or simply overflow.

Some of that runoff flows directly into Great Bay, near Bobby's Marina.

th_DrainageCanal.jpg

(click)

The rest of it runs down into either the 'Fresh' Pond or the Great Salt Pond (where the dump happens to be located). These two areas are 'flushed' from time to time, either manually by the use of pumps, or by nature when there is a lot of rain or major storm.

Here's a Google shot of the normal state of the canal, 80-90 yards from the bay and a shot when the flow is within 20 yards of the bay.

th_canalNov2005.jpg th_canalAug2005.jpg

(click)

This runoff flows into Great Bay through a canal at the opposite end of the beach, next to the Great Bay Hotel and Resort. Normally there is a sandy beach across the exit from that canal into the bay, but if flushing is necessary it is opened, either by bulldozers or by nature as the canal flows into the bay.

And then it pretty much just sits there. There is no natural purging of the bay or great movement of water because of its shape and location. My friend kal knows the scientific name of the condition, which evades me right now.

gary

Here's a current example of the flushing I described in the second to last paragraph above:

th_greatbay.jpg

(click)

From the local newspaper The Daily Herald yesterday, Tuesday November 16th:

The canal close to Sonesta Great Bay Beach Hotel was opened on Monday to allow runoff from Fresh Pond to the sea, much to the chagrin of hotel management and guests. Dark water poured over the beach and into the, sea leaving tourists wondering what exactly was going on.

<snip>

Buncamper apologised to the hotel management for neglecting to give them prior notice so they could advise their guests to stay clear of the area.

Additionally, the phrase I was looking for from my friend kal is "enclosed embayment". He mentioned it in this related thread.

gary

gary

I just noticed that the quotes don't link back to the original thread, which ran from 2010 - 2014.

And you are represented in there, karysa.

gary

:) Crazy that they can't fix the problem. I remember there was another thread where I described seeing the brown sludgy water myself the summer of 2011 I think. Since there are always people new to this board the message of the pollution concerns needs to be mentioned every time swimming at Great Bay beach gets mentioned. I know that there are those that don't think people should be made aware of this. It was nice to see that Host Faith was not one of those people.

Edited by Karysa

Gary I think that you need to keep post nine locked and loaded ;) on your computer. It's difficult to recommend a place when you see the images in front of you. Thanks again for posting the pics and let us know of any changes, positive or negative, when they occur.:)

We really enjoyed Divi Little Bay beach . Close to port and not too crowded .

Is this beach polluted as well, being on the other side of the peninsula from Great Bay ?

Edited by richstowe

We really enjoyed Divi Little Bay beach . Close to port and not too crowded .

Is this beach polluted as well, being on the other side of the peninsula from Great Bay ?

Little Bay always tests very well in regards to water safty. I have read that this has something to do with the water currents.