Award Season 2013 - Inspiration for Cruisewear...

Hey Everyone!

The Golden Globes were today - so the official 2013 Award Season begins!

As always, there could be some good ideas or inspiration for future cruises...

And bear in mind that a lot of these styles/colors/tones will "trickle down" to stores in the next year or two (or three)...

Those of you who know me, know that my first criteria is the most flattering color/tone on people - so on that note here we go!

There is some memo to the stylists out there that Cool and Powdery colors are “in”; so they dressed their clients in that. Once again – not taking their skin tone into consideration, or if it complimented them to their best.

But there were a few standouts who were in great colors and tones for themselves. So on to the good ones!

Fire:

bestfiregggoodfireclaredanes.jpg

Great warm dress tone, makes her skin and hair tone all look great and blended!

bestfirerunnerups.jpg?w=500&h=375

On the left – Don’t “love” the fit on the top, but overall the dress is a beautiful warm tomato color for her skin tone. The top needs to fit her bewbs better.

On the right – This is a good example of a dark chocolate brown dress that is a good “neutral black” dress for warm Fires. Fires should just consider this color and tone their “little black dress”.

Ice:

besticekatherinemcphee.jpg

Don’t love the clear strap on the shoe, but otherwise all around great ICE dress on great Ice skin tone!

Best Ice Runner Ups:

besticerunnerupsgg1.jpg

On the right – Doesn’t matter what age you are – if you are wearing the proper color/tone then it will flatter you all around!

On the left – for her, it’s great! My only nitpick is that the highlights in the hair are too warm, and should be toned to a more neutral/cool brown. Otherwise, brava!

Earth:

bestearthlenadunham.jpg

I know, I know…

Many of you might not “get” my choice here. But, even though she is not a standard “Hollywood beauty”; she looked great, cute, and classy on the Red Carpet. This deep warm brown was soooo perfect on her skin tone that I had to include a closeup picture so that you could see how much the lighting reflection made her eyes just POP their natural warm golden brown. Up close and personal – this was stunning color and tone.

Air:

bestairkellyosbourne.jpg

I know that not everyone out there “get’s” her hair tone. But it is a perfect soft cool AIR tone, and therefore works on her perfectly in combination with the dress. Her skin looks great, her eyes look radiant. This is how bright and glowing an actual Air can look in the right Air tones.

On the other hand, there were a TON of ladies wearing AIR tones that were not Airs, wearing Air tones – and it just washed them all out! Such a wasted opportunity for all of them who should have been wearing warm FIRE or EARTH tones. So here I present the Golden Globe 2013 Washed Out Queens:

ggbadwashedout.jpg

In another direction, there was a beautiful AIR lady who also would have looked stunning in any of these dresses above – but she want with an ICE black look that was “okay”, but nowhere near what she could have rocked in one of these AIR toned dresses which would have kicked her up a notch from “Okay” to “incredible”.

ggokayemilydeschanelairinice.jpg

I loved Nicole Kidman's gown even if the colour wasn't right for her. I also loved Tina Feys sparkling gown that looked to be a beautiful blue.

Yes.

I thought Tina Fey looked very spectacular compared to what she has worn over the past several years. It's like she's finally "owning" her own natural beauty. So I really loved her tonight.

Nicole - I agree - the silhouette of the dress was great on her; I just wish it would have been in a more flattering hue/tone to her pale peach skin.

Warm Chocolate Brown would have been subtly more flattering, or something in a warm peach, or even a warm ivory/creme...

:)

I loved Nicole Kidman's gown even if the colour wasn't right for her. I also loved Tina Feys sparkling gown that looked to be a beautiful blue.

Tina Fey's blue dress in the beginning was my favorite - and then Jennifer Garner's red sparkly dress. I think that may have not been her best color - but the dress itself was really pretty!

Hated Jennifer Lopez's white lacy number and didn't care for Halle Berry's - looked like one breast was larger than the other!

bestfirerunnerups.jpg?w=500&h=375

On the left – Don’t “love” the fit on the top, but overall the dress is a beautiful warm tomato color for her skin tone. The top needs to fit her bewbs better.

On the right – This is a good example of a dark chocolate brown dress that is a good “neutral black” dress for warm Fires. Fires should just consider this color and tone their “little black dress”.

Hey stranger, at first glance I thought this dress was eggplant, or aubergine if we want to sound more sophisticated.:) Just saw it somewhere else and it was described as eggplant......I'm soooo confused.:o:D

Oh good! An Awards dress post from Curt Jerome Wild! You've made my night. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand the color thing but am more than willing to bow to your expertise! But please don't tell me you hated Lucy Liu's gown. ;)

I loved Lucy Liu's gown. It was so retro 40s/50s. I thought the floral was gorgeous but was disheartened when the Today crew, maybe Matt Lauer, said it looked like draperies. Each to his own.

. I don't know if it was Lucy's best color because I am not very skilled at deciding what color is best for certain women. I only know what colors wash me out--beige and white. I love beige but can't wear it. I look beige from head to toe. White washes e out even worse.

My favorites were:

Michelle Dockery

Michelle-Dockery-In-Alexandre-Vauthier-Couture-2013-Golden-Globes.jpg

I'm not typically a lace fan but this was beautiful! It was prettier when I was watching live on my HD television so this photo doesn't do it justice.

Julianne Hough

julianne-hough-monique-lhuillier-golden-globes-h724.jpg

Again, this looked prettier in HD than in this photo. I especially loved her hair.

Hey stranger, at first glance I thought this dress was eggplant, or aubergine if we want to sound more sophisticated.:) Just saw it somewhere else and it was described as eggplant......I'm soooo confused.:o:D

You're right. Taylor Swift's dress wasn't brown, it was eggplant. A better picture here:

o-TAYLOR-SWIFT-GOLDEN-GLOBES-570.jpg?12

And I don't think any kind of "fitting" would have helped Jennifer Lawrence's Dior dress over the bustline. It was the strange design, which IMO, look like someone couldn't figure out how to fit, and then they messily hand sewed it together. Not very flattering:

jennifer-lawrence-golden-globes-2013-red-carpet-02.jpg

6rugrats, this is the funniest comment I've seen on Jennifer Lawrence's gown.

".....we can almost hear Madonna grumbling, "In my day, I had to sew my own cone bras … from party hats I found at Chuck E. Cheese … after

walking uphill … both ways … in the cold (or maybe it just looked like I was cold)." :D

Back to my original question about the brown vs. eggplant color. Just wondering if eggplant is a color that a fire can wear or if it is correct only because it looked brown?

Earth:

bestearthlenadunham.jpg

I know, I know…

Many of you might not “get” my choice here. But, even though she is not a standard “Hollywood beauty”; she looked great, cute, and classy on the Red Carpet. This deep warm brown was soooo perfect on her skin tone that I had to include a closeup picture so that you could see how much the lighting reflection made her eyes just POP their natural warm golden brown. Up close and personal – this was stunning color and tone.

This Zac Posen gown was burgundy/plum, not brown. It just looked brown on TV.

6rugrats, this is the funniest comment I've seen on Jennifer Lawrence's gown.

".....we can almost hear Madonna grumbling, "In my day, I had to sew my own cone bras … from party hats I found at Chuck E. Cheese … after

walking uphill … both ways … in the cold (or maybe it just looked like I was cold)." :D

Back to my original question about the brown vs. eggplant color. Just wondering if eggplant is a color that a fire can wear or if it is correct only because it looked brown?

Can't answer your question, but that quote is pretty funny! A pretty dress with a crazy bustline.

I have a brown satin dress, that is a nice warm hue. It comes off looking purplish sometimes. I really felt that the pictures we are seeing here are brown, but you know how monitors (and eyes) can play tricks on you. :)

The first dress posted in the warm red is my favorite of what I've seen. It's so classy looking, as well as being a great color.

Hi Everyone!

Sorry, it's been a super busy week - so I'm just now getting back to posting and answering thoughts and questions here.

Somehow between my running back and forth from the hotel to the red carpet - I totally missed Jessica Alba - who has now been moved to my Best EARTH with Lena Dunham moving into Earth Runner Up.

So posting those now here:

bestearthjessicaalba.jpg?w=500

The coral/salmon color on her Earth features is perfection. I also give her kudos for going with a warm Earth lipstick. My only nitpick here is that I wish she would have had this necklace where the metal backing was a Rose Gold or Gold/Bronze. Or something in Turquoise! Either of those would have been stunning.

Then now Earth Runner Up:

bestearthlenadunham1.jpg?w=500

I know, I know…

Many of you might not “get” my choice here. But, even though she is not a standard “Hollywood beauty”; she looked great, cute, and classy on the Red Carpet. This deep warm brown was soooo perfect on her skin tone that I had to include a closeup picture so that you could see how much the lighting reflection made here eyes just POP their natural warm golden brown. Up close and personal – this was stunning color and tone.

So updating that - now after this post I will get back to updates on comments and questions...

;)

I absolutely love Jessica Alba's dress. I'm an earth too, so the color just grabs me right off. I really liked too that she went with a wonderful statement purse too. It doesn't take over the outfit in any way, but it adds something to the overall look.

I'm 100% with you on the necklace thing too. I noticed that right away. It is especially noticeable because it's near her face. It can be hard to find goldtones with this style of necklace.

I don't own "red carpet" jewelry, but I have found that XSRE (a new store that opened up in our local mall) is carrying a lot more gold jewelry than I've seen in a while, and there are some wonderful formal necklaces with rhinestones and the like. I've been thinking that since they aren't too expensive, maybe I should grab one that looks like it could go with a lot of formal wear, while I can.

What I wouldn't do to be able to find some of these wonderful color choices!!

Oh good! An Awards dress post from Curt Jerome Wild! You've made my night.
Curt,I have missed you.So glad to see you back here with your pictures and comments.

Laura

Hi, hi, hi!

I'm slowly getting back to posting here little by little - so very happy to have you enjoying the fun and general ideas.

Besides my fashion work, my two year old "Princess Chaos" keeps me super busy - but getting little bits of "more time" here and there to post.

:D:D:D

Archived