Ferry/Bus Tickets at Dockyard Yet??

oneplustwins

I'm getting confused and just want to double check. I can buy a three day pass just outside the ship as long as I have cash? No need to ride into Hamilton.

Yes, passes are available at the Dockyard just outside the ship. No need to ride to Hamilton. It is just the booklet of tickets that do not seem to always be available at the Dockyard.

Edited by ryra

I'm getting confused and just want to double check. I can buy a three day pass just outside the ship as long as I have cash? No need to ride into Hamilton.

There is a booth outside the ship that looks like a souvenir shop. You walk up to one of the two windows and you can buy your pass right there. There also is a small building at the "T" portion of the pier. They sell the passes there also. There is also a Information booth near the dock for the ferry and I believe the passes are available there as well. You do not have to go into Hamilton to get a p

The Bermuda government states that the 15 tickets booklet is NOT available at the Dockyard.

The pass are available "randomly" on the ship the day before getting to Bermuda and there is supposed to be a table set-up when you exit the ship in the little building on the wharf....cash only...Transportation tickets sold anywhere are not payable by credit card.

Can someone confirm tickets are still available for sale in St. George? My last set was bought at st george and we plan to go there the first day via ferry.

Thank you!

Does anyone know if the 15 tickets booklet is available for purchase in St. George? We also plan to go there first day via ferry and would like to avoid going through Hamilton just to buy these tickets. Thanks!

Brad

The availability of tickets, passes, tokens and all is confusing this year :eek:

Some report that passes were available on ship before arriving in Bermuda, some report it wasn't...

Some say there is a little table setup in the small shop/security area when you exit the ship....

This is what Bermuda-Attractions says :

"Where to get passes, tickets & tokens in Bermuda?

Bermuda's Central Bus Terminal -

Located on Washington Street, Hamilton City (Next to City Hall)

Here you will get Tickets, Passes (both day and monthly passes) and Tokens for both bus and ferry. The information booth is open from 7:15am to 5:30pm weekdays, 8:15am to 5:30pm Saturdays and 9:15am to 4:45pm Sundays and holidays.

Main Ferry Terminal - Hamilton City

The ferry terminal is near HSBC Bank at the western end of Front Street. Here you will get tokens, tickets and passes for Buses and Ferries (both day and monthly passes). The Main Ferry Terminal hours of operation are 6a.m - 10p.m, Monday to Saturday and 8a.m - 7p.m, Sundays and Holidays.

You can call the Main Ferry Terminal at 441/295-4506 or the Department of Marine and Ports at 441/295-6575 for further information.

Visitors Information Centers

Here you will get only passes and tokens for buses and ferries, but not tickets. There are several such centers located at different places of the island including in the Dockyard, Hamilton and St George. Check out the above link for the exact location of the tourist centers along with contacts.

Post Offices

Tickets, School Passes and Adult Passes (both day and monthly passes) are available at many sub-post offices. Check out the above link to find location and address of all the post offices in Bermuda.

In some select hotels

Usually you will get tokens and passes in several hotels and guesthouses, but not tickets. The hotels will also exchange dollar bills for cash in Bermuda currency should you need some to take a bus or ferry.

Bermuda Airport: No Longer Available

Since several years, bus passes, tickets and tokens are no longer available at the Visitors Information Desk at Bermuda International Airport's arrival hall. It is an unmanned desk where you will get maps, brochures & booklets, but no other services. One of the reasons they stopped issuing passes or tickets is because luggage is not allowed in public buses. Another possible reason is not to affect the taxi services although Bermuda Government does not say that publicly.

However, buses do continue to serve the airport (mainly for airport staffs). So if you have no or minimal luggage like a small bag or so, then you can ride the buses from the airport by paying the fare by cash in exact change ($3.50 for short rides of up to 3 zones and $4.50 for longer rides). "

So I think the best bet would be the old post office in St-George

Does anyone know if the 15 tickets booklet is available for purchase in St. George? We also plan to go there first day via ferry and would like to avoid going through Hamilton just to buy these tickets. Thanks!

Brad

When we were in Bermuda in May, we were told they were only sold in Hamilton. We purchased tokens to ride the ferry to Hamilton, then purchased the 15 ticket booklet at the ferry station in Hamilton. I would ask the people in the ticket/pass booth at Dockyards - it is right where you get off the Summit (there is also one near the Breakaway).

There is a booth outside the ship that looks like a souvenir shop. You walk up to one of the two windows and you can buy your pass right there. There also is a small building at the "T" portion of the pier. They sell the passes there also. There is also a Information booth near the dock for the ferry and I believe the passes are available there as well. You do not have to go into Hamilton to get a p

Thanks for the crystal clear clarification, I was getting so confused :)

There is a booth outside the ship that looks like a souvenir shop. You walk up to one of the two windows and you can buy your pass right there. There also is a small building at the "T" portion of the pier. They sell the passes there also. There is also a Information booth near the dock for the ferry and I believe the passes are available there as well. You do not have to go into Hamilton.

Your clarification on where to buy is perfect.

There are 5 of us who will take the ferry to Hamilton from the Dockyard - - and back. What is our most cost effective approach to buying tickets?

Do I understand correctly that there are day passes for ?? cost and/or $4 tokens that I presume are one way?

It appears that we should use the $4 tokens over and back. Is that the most cost effective approach?

I understand that the 15 ride book of tix for the ferry are NOT available at the Dockyard and therefore are not an option.

See my notes in the quote,

There are 5 of us who will take the ferry to Hamilton from the Dockyard - - and back. What is our most cost effective approach to buying tickets?

Do I understand correctly that there are day passes for ?? cost and/or $4 tokens that I presume are one way?

Day pass : 1 day 15$, 2 days : 25$, 3 days : 35$. Token 4$, cash 4,50$

It appears that we should use the $4 tokens over and back. Is that the most cost effective approach?

Yes, for only a couple of transport, tokens are better

I understand that the 15 ride book of tix for the ferry are NOT available at the Dockyard and therefore are not an option.

You are correct, not available at the Dockyard

See my notes in the quote,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnl_in_Illinois View Post

Day pass : 1 day 15$, 2 days : 25$, 3 days : 35$. Token 4$, cash 4,50$

Yes, for only a couple of transport, tokens are better

You are correct, not available at the Dockyard

I love clear, concise and I am sure accurate responses. Thank you so much! I appreciate the clarification and direction.

Here is the booth just outside Summit. Note the sign board does not mention tickets. (Taken May 28).

Is there a similar one for the Breakaway? Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the stone building in between the 2 piers which also sell passes and tokens.

132.jpg.fec530b0d135c8b2bddf46992bb8d8e4.jpg

IMG_1993a.jpg.953b62c78339fc7bf4944f8ebb95b95b.jpg

My extended family (six of us, 4 adults, 2 kids) were on Celebrity Summit in Bermuda for 3 days last week (7/6-13). I did research on local transportation and came up with what I thought the best method. I posted a separate thread on the forum, but will copy and paste it here for your convenience.

First things first -- there was NO paper tickets for sale at the dock. There were a total of 3 places selling token and passes at the dockyard: two Visitor centers, one at each wharf near the ships; and the third one being a stand-alone booth in the middle between two wharfs. There might be some confusion because the sign above the 3rd booth said "Bus/Ferry Tickets and Passes sold here", but if you went up, you would see they were only selling tokens and passes, no tickets, just like the other 2 places.

Before I start, if anybody is new to Bermuda or don't know anything about these local transportation options, I suggest that you go to http://www.bermuda-attractions.com. That website is very good and provides detailed info not only on this topic but on all things Bermuda.

Having said that, I will get to my recommendations.

Of the 3 options, pass work out to be $12~15 per day (depending whether you buy a 1 or 3-day pass). It's the easiest, because you don't have to think or plan, but it will probably turn out to be the most expensive, because you will not ride enough to justify the cost. If you want to save money, or if you are like me (being an engineer, I take it as my personal mission to figure out the most efficient and cost-effective method to do anything), I have some tips for you.

Token is only slightly cheaper than paying cash on board ($4 per token for one way travel, $2.50 for child fare), but if you only plan to do one round trip per day (to one destination and back), token is probably the best.

Paper ticket booklet is the cheapest option. It works out to be $2 per ticket per ride for adult and $0.50 per ticket per ride for kid. But they don’t sell them at the dock, so you will have to travel to Hamilton to buy them, hence it will require some planning.

For the 3 days we were in port, we did the following itinerary:

Wed: visited Tom Moore’s Jungle (aka Blue Hole park), Hamilton city self guided tour, and Hamilton cruise night.

In the morning, we got off the ship and bought token for each person for just one way travel (4 adults x $4, 2 kids x $2.50 -- $21.) Took #8 bus to Hamilton – avoided beach-going crowd who were all taking #7 bus or the express bus. We had the entire bus to ourselves for the first half of the trip -- you could pretend it's your own private sightseeing bus. :)

We got free transfers from the driver when arrived at Hamilton. (Transfers work the same way as they do in US: you get a piece of paper showing the time you get off the first bus. You can get on a second bus for free as long as it's going in the same general direction and within a reasonable time period. We were on #8 going from Dockyard to Hamilton, therefore we could use the transfer to continue on a bus from Hamilton toward St. George, but we wouldn't be able to use that transfer on a bus going back from Hamilton to Dockyard.) All buses ended and originated at the same station in Hamilton, so it’s really easy to get off one and wait 10 minutes for the other bus. We transferred to #1 bus to Tom Moore’s Jungle. While waiting for #1 bus, I bought paper tickets (2 books of adult tickets for $30 each and 1 book of child tickets for $7.50, each containing 15 tickets -- $67.50.)

Rode bus to Tom Moore’s Jungle and hiked the trail and visited a couple of caves and swimming holes. The park was amazing, but the weather was very hot and humid. I would have liked to spend more time in the park, but my kids were running out of steam. We only spent a little more than 1 hour there.

Took a bus (I forgot the number, either #10 or #11) back to Hamilton. From this point on, we used the paper tickets for all the bus and ferry rides.

Did a self guided walking tour, visited city hall and the 2 art galleries there. Walked to Hamilton public library and used their free WiFi in the courtyard to catch up on emails. Walked around the garden next to the library. Again, I could have done more walking, but my kids were tired.

We took the ferry back to the ship from Hamilton. After dinner, we took the ferry back out to Hamilton for Cruise Night.

So, regarding the bus tickets -- for the first day when we did the most traveling (6 rides per person), we spent $12 per adult ($4 token to Hamilton, free transfer from Hamilton to Blue Hole, $2 bus from Blue Hole to Hamilton, $2 ferry from Hamilton to Dock, $4 ferry round trip to Hamilton at night); $5 per child ($2.50 token, free transfer, $0.50 bus, $0.50 ferry to Dock, $1 ferry round trip.) 1-day pass would have cost $15 and $7.50 respectively -- we spent less this way.

The next couple of days we just rode the bus to the beaches and back. Again, if we were using tokens or day passes, it would have been a lot more expensive. Using paper tickets, it cost $4 per adult per day ($2 per ride for 2 rides) and $1 per kid per day.

Basically we spent a total of $88.50 on bus/ferry tickets for 3 days for 6 people and still had a few paper tickets left for our next visit to Bermuda.

I'm confused - I thought you couldn't use the paper tickets for the ferry...

As per Bermuda-attractions.com :

"Bermuda ferry fares

Passes and tokens are accepted in ferries. Transfers not applicable in ferries.

Update January 2014: Ferries are not supposed to honor tickets as mentioned in the Bermuda Government Site on transport fares. However I notice some changes in the current ferry schedule which mentions use of tickets for ferries - booklet of 15 tickets of $20 for Pink Route (i.e. Hamilton Paget Warwick route) and booklet of 15 tickets of $30 for remaining routes (Blue, Green and Orange). So you should now be able to use tickets in Ferries as long as you are using ones from the correct booklet. For example you can not use tickets from booklet of $20 for the Blue Route ferry (Dockyard - Hamilton), you should tender a ticket from $30 booklet instead."

I'm confused - I thought you couldn't use the paper tickets for the ferry...

As per Bermuda-attractions.com :

"Bermuda ferry fares

Passes and tokens are accepted in ferries. Transfers not applicable in ferries.

Update January 2014: Ferries are not supposed to honor tickets as mentioned in the Bermuda Government Site on transport fares. However I notice some changes in the current ferry schedule which mentions use of tickets for ferries - booklet of 15 tickets of $20 for Pink Route (i.e. Hamilton Paget Warwick route) and booklet of 15 tickets of $30 for remaining routes (Blue, Green and Orange). So you should now be able to use tickets in Ferries as long as you are using ones from the correct booklet. For example you can not use tickets from booklet of $20 for the Blue Route ferry (Dockyard - Hamilton), you should tender a ticket from $30 booklet instead."

Tickets are valid on the ferries and have been for years....I know...I've used them. I've kept my Bermuda bus and ferry schedules for the past several years...the oldest bus schedule I have in my possession is from 2009 and it says "Tickets for 3 and 14 zones are sold in booklets of 15, and are honoured on buses and ferries." Off hand I have no idea if this was first allowed in 2009, or if it started before that.

The website bermuda-attractions.com is not an official source of information ( and unfortunately there was or is some government web page that has had incorrect information on this topic for years).

The website bermuda-attractions.com is not an official source of information ( and unfortunately there was or is some government web page that has had incorrect information on this topic for years).

It might not be an "official" source of info, I think it's been more helpful than not ...

What source is 100% reliable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It might not be an "official" source of info, I think it's been more helpful than not ...

My reports of our personal experiences in using the bus and ferry system in Bermuda over a period of more than 25 years are reliable, and I can assure you that 2014 is not the first year that the tickets were valid for ferry travel, despite what some website says.

Perhaps you'd also like to know why I now try to avoid posting here...after years of being quite happy to spend my time trying to help other Cruise Critic members...or perhaps the reason has now become obvious.

NJHoreseman.

I, too, have a transportation schedule from 2009, may have an earlier one but would have to search around. Anyway, under adult fares, the 2009 says that tickets for 3 and 14 zones are honoured on buses and ferries. I even posted a picture of it when this discussion came up a number of years ago.

My reports of our personal experiences in using the bus and ferry system in Bermuda over a period of more than 25 years are reliable, and I can assure you that 2014 is not the first year that the tickets were valid for ferry travel, despite what some website says.

Perhaps you'd also like to know why I now try to avoid posting here...after years of being quite happy to spend my time trying to help other Cruise Critic members...or perhaps the reason has now become obvious.

njhorseman,

I am really sorry I expressed myself in a way that made you believe I was referring to you when I said "what source is 100% reliable". I was not implying that what you stated what wrong...

I was referring to web sites, the non-official ones that try hard to do a good job and even the official ones who do make errors sometimes...like the discussion we had about the printing omission for the holiday ferry schedule on seaexpress.bm ( the official site ) earlier last week...

Keep posting, we all need experienced cruiser to make us all more knowledgeable.