"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

Why does the cell phone not work as an alarm clock?

Your cell phone may or may not change time zones when the ship does. Also, many phones, when they lose their GPS signal for a few hours will revert to GMT, so you could be getting your alarm 5-6 hours early.

The way to get around that, is change your settings on your phone to NOT automatically change time zones.

I turn mine to the "manual" setting at the start of the cruise, and then I change the time on the days we cross a time zone. When we return from the cruise, I reset it to the automatic time zone setting again.

The way to get around that, is change your settings on your phone to NOT automatically change time zones.

I turn mine to the "manual" setting at the start of the cruise, and then I change the time on the days we cross a time zone. When we return from the cruise, I reset it to the automatic time zone setting again.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just spent the last week reading all 117 pages. Even though I haven't been on a cruise yet, I have a suggestion of what to pack that believe it or not, has NOT been mentioned once in this whole thread.

Flushable, scented bum wipes, like Charmin or similar.

You just never know when you get a bad case of the runs, especially after a day of eating strange food at a port. Nothing worse than having to wipe several times with rough toilet paper. I know these have saved my bottom a few times.

Our first cruise is still 9 months away but the planning and researching has been half of the fun. Great thread, let's keep it moving.

Some folks like to carry a scented spray or odor eliminator, especially for the bathroom (which has no vent, BTW). Remember, NO candles or anything you have to strike a match for. What I do is save those magazine inserts for perfume samples. You know the ones... a strip that opens up and gives you a whiff of that particular scent. Don't open them, just rip the strips (intact) from the magazine page, throw a few into your toiletries bag, and then when needed, just open one up and leave it lying on the sink. Works wonders. Smells good too. :)

Just spent the last week reading all 117 pages. Even though I haven't been on a cruise yet, I have a suggestion of what to pack that believe it or not, has NOT been mentioned once in this whole thread.

You just never know when you get a bad case of the runs, especially after a day of eating strange food at a port. Nothing worse than having to wipe several times with rough toilet paper. I know these have saved my bottom a few times.

Our first cruise is still 9 months away but the planning and researching has been half of the fun. Great thread, let's keep it moving.

I may be wrong but isn't there a sign in the toilet about only putting regular paper toilet in the bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thankfully we leave in less than two weeks for our much anticipated Ultimate Caribbean Cruise aboard the Celebrity Equinox. It has been a long winter and cold going into Spring.

This will be our fourth cruise. Some things we do are:

Pack 2 carry one and 2 regular suit cases. We always fly in 2 days before - could not risk any delays. 1 carry on is for Fort Lauderdale and 1 for the first day of the cruise.

I like to be neat and clean and ask for extra hangers if needed. For the bathroom, I bring suction cups to hang my shower pouf etc. Also, I bring collapsible bins to organize toiletries, feminine products, etc. We also bring a Yankee Candle spray and fragrance beads.

For our cabin, I have a roll up white board to write notes on. Strong metal hooks for our bathing suites, etc...

We will be gone for 2 weeks and I packed enough for 8 days. Celebrity does not have self serve laundry, it is worth it to pay extra for us.

We have the ultimate drink package which includes gratuitities but we bring $1 bills to tip.

Do get room service, you will feel spoiled.

It is worth it to take ship sponsored excursions because they guarantee first off and first on the ship and will wait for you if you are late.

Have fun. Relax. Don't worry about money.

Lastly, anything I buy will go in my carry on on the way home. Bought a table runner in Mexico that never made it back.

I may be wrong but isn't there a sign in the toilet about only putting regular paper toilet in the bowl?

If you do bring "flushable" wipes with you, please do not send these down the toilet, place them in the wastebasket in the bathroom. So-called "flushable" wipes, even in municipal sewer systems have been known to cause blockages, they are worse in private septic systems, and will cause untold headaches for the engineers and great annoyance to your fellow passengers when their toilets don't work because your wipes caused a vacuum blockage. The difference between toilet paper and toilet wipes (or baby or facial wipes for that matter) is that toilet paper is made from "pressed" paper fibers, which will dissolve when wet, while wipes are made from "woven" fibers which are designed to stay intact while wet. These woven fiber products, when used in a vacuum toilet system on a cruise ship, will cause blockages resulting in blocks of cabins being without flushing toilets for hours to days while the blockage is cleared.

Do all you want to to pamper your backside, but do not put toilet wipes down the toilet. This is why your suggestion has not been mentioned in 117 pages.

Yes, there is. Don't flush anything except the provided TP. This is not the same plumbing system you use at home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, there is. Don't flush anything except the provided TP. This is not the same plumbing system you use at home.

Having just said that toilet wipes should not be flushed down the toilet, I will bust the urban legend about the "provided" toilet paper. There is nothing special about the toilet paper the cruise line supplies, other than it is cheap, and they got a good deal on bulk quantities. There is nothing at all wrong with bringing your own TP if you so desire. I have worked with vacuum toilet systems for over 30 years, and have never had to clear a clog caused by a "wrong" or "different" toilet paper.

Having just said that toilet wipes should not be flushed down the toilet, I will bust the urban legend about the "provided" toilet paper. There is nothing special about the toilet paper the cruise line supplies, other than it is cheap, and they got a good deal on bulk quantities. There is nothing at all wrong with bringing your own TP if you so desire. I have worked with vacuum toilet systems for over 30 years, and have never had to clear a clog caused by a "wrong" or "different" toilet paper.

People bring TP? Yeesh, and I thought I over-packed. Lol

We were on a ship that missed it's shipment of TP and they bought regular "two ply" at every port until they got the next shipment. It made for a nice cruise;)

Some people bring their own pillows.

I actually do bring my own pillow. I sleep much better, since it literally smells like home. It also works as a pad between me and the airplane wall, a cushion when I inevitably have to sit on the floor at FLL, etc.

We were on a ship that missed it's shipment of TP and they bought regular "two ply" at every port until they got the next shipment. It made for a nice cruise;)

Yeah, in Hawaii, we had to make the Walmart run to buy them out of TP a few times. You know who is first to go on TP rationing!

Lol, can't say I'm sorry I missed that one.

I seem to end up posting on all the toilet threads.

Some folks like to carry a scented spray or odor eliminator, especially for the bathroom (which has no vent, BTW).

Google ** poo-pourri **. Spray it into the toilet before you go and it eliminates the odor. It is very effective.(y)

Some folks like to carry a scented spray or odor eliminator, especially for the bathroom (which has no vent, BTW). Remember, NO candles or anything you have to strike a match for. What I do is save those magazine inserts for perfume samples. You know the ones... a strip that opens up and gives you a whiff of that particular scent. Don't open them, just rip the strips (intact) from the magazine page, throw a few into your toiletries bag, and then when needed, just open one up and leave it lying on the sink. Works wonders. Smells good too. :)

I carry a spray bottle of POO POURRI (sometimes called, "Shhhh...it happens!") wherever I go and I always bring it on cruises! You spray it in the toilet before you go and then there is no bad odor! I also bring a cheap dollar store room freshener.

I have a few LED candles I bring to create a soothing atmosphere and a motion sensor light for those middle of the night trips to the head!

Edited by suzyed

Yeah, in Hawaii, we had to make the Walmart run to buy them out of TP a few times. You know who is first to go on TP rationing!

I seem to end up posting on all the toilet threads.

We were on a multi B2B starting in San Diego and ultimately ending in the Baltics. When they finally had purchased enough TP, we hid some in our cabin and didn't have to go back to using their cheap stuff for the rest of the cruise. I wonder if the crew also hoarded some.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just debating whether I should bring my own "My Pillow" on our next cruise......hmmm?

I see the adds all the time. Are they really that good? I like my feather pillow and the room steward is usually able to find me a small feather pillow for a small bribe (er I mean tip[emoji6]).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Even at home, those "flushable" wipes should not be flushed. Just because they can be doesn't mean they should be. :)

Some people bring their own pillows.

We will definitely be bringing our own pillows. We make buckwheat hull pillows (it's our small business) and two weeks of sleeping on a foam pillow will make a relaxing vacation painful. They're big and heavy, but we're not flying to the port.