Excursions that you would never want to have missed

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Mexican Riviera
Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:39 PM.
AZ
189 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
We've had good excursions almost every time. We've traveled with children so family friendly ones were important to us. A few we've done-
Mazatlan -
*gingers horses, the beach- playa bruja with lunch at Mr Lionso (kids were 5)
Cabo -
*private boat excursion included seeing the landmarks, rock jumping and snorkeling (snorkeling just ok because water was pretty rough that day) swim at medano beach, feed fish (kids were 11 & 2)
*Las caletas - kids were 7 (snorkeling, kid zip line & monkeys)

Puerto Vallarta -
*Marriott casa magna
(Kids were 11 and 2)
* Vallarta adventures dolphin signature swim (kids were 5)
* zip line Vallarta Adventures (kids were 11)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Colorado
658 Posts
Joined May 2011
When I look into Las Caletas, it says cruise ship passengers can't book it. Is this a situation where the cruise industry has a deal with the resort so you have to book through the ship? Is there a way around that?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jody and Judy
*2017: RCI Serenade of the Seas, Baltic
2016: Century Paragon, Yangtze River
2016: White Manta, Thailand Scuba Liveaboard
2106: Carnival Glory, Eastern Caribbean
2015: Coral Princess, Panama Canal
2015: Holland Zaandam, South America
2014: Sun Princess, Sydney/New Zealand
2014: Royal Princess, New England & Canada
2014: Holland Amsterdam, Panama Canal
2014: Ruby Princess, B2B2B2B Caribbean
2013: Holland Prinsendam, Greece & Turkey
2013: Holland Zaandam, Alaska
2013: Diamond Princess, Alaska
2012: Carnival Breeze, B2B, Mediterranean
2011: Carnival Triumph, Caribbean
2011: Crown Princess, British Isles
San Diego, CA
5,804 Posts
Joined Sep 2001
Originally posted by jarand
When I look into Las Caletas, it says cruise ship passengers can't book it. Is this a situation where the cruise industry has a deal with the resort so you have to book through the ship? Is there a way around that?
Yes, the tour company (Vallarta Adventures) that operates this excursion, as well as others, has a contracted arrangement with the cruise lines. So you have to book this one through the ships, and there isn't a way around this that I'm aware of. Others may chime in here though..

Still, the excursion is worth every penny as far as we're concerned!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Otherwise known as 'Don Quique'..
Spokane, WA
1,118 Posts
Joined May 2005
For Mazatlán my favorite was a tour of the city by Pulmonia. My son's favorite was the horseback riding on stone island. Maria's Happy Horses if I recall correctly. See my review on Tripadvisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...fic_Coast.html

We hired Freddy just outside of the port where the blue line starts. We had a fair price and he took us every place we (I) wanted to see. Went out and saw some tide pools, stopped at an orphanage that he volunteers at and then he pointed us to a great restaurant (right across from the ferry and within walking of the port). He was actually a transplant from San Diego that married a local girl, so his English was perfect. We bought candy for the orphanage and he went in the grocery store with us to translate. I would not hesitate to book with his again. The nicest Pulmonia in Mazatlán.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Explorer of the Northwest and beyond"

Coming Soon:
9/30/17 Ruby Princess 1 Day Pacific Coastal

1/14/18 Carnival Splendor 13 Day Panama Canal
[email protected]
Seattle
100 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Las Caletas was worth every penny! It was stunningly gorgeous and Vallarta Adventures does an amazing job entertaining both to and from. We did Yelapas and Majahuitas on our next trip and it wasn't nearly as much fun.

In Cabo, it wasn't an excursion but we had the BEST meal at Solomon's Landing just off of the pier. A massive bowl of delicious, fresh ceviche and a cold beer. Heaven!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HA Koningsdam - Southern Caribbean - 11/17 | HA Amsterdam - Inside Passage - 7/16 | Grand Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers - 5/15 | Coral Princess - Partial Panama Canal - 1/15 | Crown Princess - Mexican Riviera - 4/14 | Celebrity Solstice - Inside Passage - 8/13 | HA Zaandam - Pacific Coastal - 10/10 | Golden Princess - Inside Passage - 9/09 | Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera - 12/07 | My cruise blog: www.cruisemood.com
68 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
We are headed on the Mexican Riviera cruise in March. First timers to that area. I was sold on Las Caletas until I read that it can get very crowded to the point that it takes a long time to use any of the water equipment because of the long lines. What are people's experiences and suggestions? I also read about the strange age restriction that nobody over 39 can go on the teen/adult "rides" (slide, etc). I will be 42 & hubby will be 44 with a 12 yr old. She will want us to go with her & we will want to join her. What's with this weird age limit? I didn't feel old until I learned I was too old for their equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums