Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Linda, to enter Bahamian WATERS (let alone get off the ship at a Bahamian port), you need a Bahamian import permit for animals. Go to APHIS to get an application for a permit. I recommend strongly that you get your APHIS-accredited vet to FAX the application to the Bahamas. Often the Bahamian officials "lose" mailed paperwork, but they seem to respond positively to faxes from veterinarians—maybe they think it's more "official." When I went to the Bahamas on HAL with Trooper last March, an uniformed cop stopped me at security and took me to a table, where he asked for the dog's documentation. He riffled through it until he came to the Bahamian import permit, and put his finger on the official Bahamian stamp and said, "This is what I was looking for." The ship's port paper officer later told us that we would not have been allowed aboard without that permit and stamp.

Linda, to enter Bahamian WATERS (let alone get off the ship at a Bahamian port), you need a Bahamian import permit for animals. Go to APHIS to get an application for a permit. I recommend strongly that you get your APHIS-accredited vet to FAX the application to the Bahamas. Often the Bahamian officials "lose" mailed paperwork, but they seem to respond positively to faxes from veterinarians—maybe they think it's more "official." When I went to the Bahamas on HAL with Trooper last March, an uniformed cop stopped me at security and took me to a table, where he asked for the dog's documentation. He riffled through it until he came to the Bahamian import permit, and put his finger on the official Bahamian stamp and said, "This is what I was looking for." The ship's port paper officer later told us that we would not have been allowed aboard without that permit and stamp.

The permit is different than the APHIS?

Yes, a Bahamian import permit and an APHIS Form 7001 are two different and separate things. The former is a document issued by the Bahamas allowing you to bring your dog into the Bahamas, and the latter is a document issued by USDA APHIS attesting to the health of your dog and listing immunizations it has had.

It's been a while since I've posted here. Hope I'm doing this right! Good to see familiar names on the couple pages I've looked back upon.

We had an issue in Nassau. The transportation arranged through the cruise line to Atlantis would not let us on with the dog. We had to go back on the ship to fight it out. Somehow it was our fault that we didn't let the transportation company know. The cruise line had all our paperwork so I don't know what the issue truly was. We ended up taking a taxi back and forth but needed to leave extra time to get back to the ship just in case a taxi driver had an issue with the dog and we had to get another taxi. Luckily we didn't.

We did a dolphin encounter in Freeport. The dog had to wait back away from the dolphins but we tag teamed so it worked out well.

Have you ever gone off the ship in Nassau? Any transportation problems with your dogs? I'm doing a Fundraising cruise for a service dog organization and I know some of them would like to go a few places. I do know a vendor for some service dog friendly excursions, but those don't interest some of the people. Have you been turned down by taxis?

Doing another group with service dogs going to Freeport. There just about EVERYTHING needs transportation somewhere as the port is basically all industrial.

The permit is different than the APHIS?

Yes, the permit is different than the health form. Leave plenty of time to get the permit. As Henry said, you have to have the permit regardless of whether or not you are getting off the ship in the Bahamas.

The fastest way to obtain it seems to be by fax. I initially was unable to get a fax to go through (constant busy signal), but was finally able to fax the application for the permit by downloading a fax app on my iPhone. I received the permit back via fax about three days later.

The Bahamas does not charge the permit/fax fee for service dogs. On my cover sheet, I noted that my dog was a service dog and included my ID card and graduation certificate from CCI as proof.

Dianne

BOL, BOL, with our indoor voice!

Oh! Nancy! Poor little Jezzy.....I know exactly what you're saying about the loud booms and how our dogs are so affected. It just breaks my heart to see them so upset. Thank goodness we have a year before it happens again. There really isn't anything else that upsets Horton like the 4th of July sounds.

And, as far as the folks who have comments or stares to make about where you park....just keep going and ignore them! Life is difficult enough to deal with, we don't need their input into our lives!

Most cruise lines will now allow you to have the potty box placed on your veranda if you insist. Check your veranda when you first arrive onboard and check for the box. If it's not there go directly to Guest Services and tell them what you need. They'll want a copy of your dogs paperwork, make sure you have a copy for them and keep one for yourself [you would have already given the folks at registration one.]

I keep all Horton's paperwork in a separate manila envelope and am ready to hand a copy to anyone who asks.

HAPPY HOT WEEKEND EVERYONE! STAY COOL!!!!

Watch for hot asphalt and concrete when walking your dogs! :*

Where is everyone? 5 days and no posts? Hopefully on vacation or just busy. We have been working very hard to get our house ready to put on the market. It is so stressful. Everything and I mean everything off the counters. Well, I am sorry but we actually still LIVE here. A showing was scheduled, so we all piled in the truck, including Ms. Jezzy Lou. Drove around town, was gone 45 minutes. Came back, no sign of anyone being here. Call Real Estate company and she says "Oh, wait I think we got a message that they cancelled." !!!!!! Comes back on the phone and says "So sorry we didn't let you know, yes they cancelled." :mad: Not really a big deal, but, really? It took 45 minutes out of our time that we could have been doing something else more productive. And now that I am typing this, I feel like a cry baby. If that's the worse that happened to us today, we should feel fortunate. Just annoyed.

Hope everyone is staying nice and cool. Us in Arizona not so much! ;p

Where is everyone? 5 days and no posts? Hopefully on vacation or just busy. We have been working very hard to get our house ready to put on the market. It is so stressful. Everything and I mean everything off the counters. Well, I am sorry but we actually still LIVE here. A showing was scheduled, so we all piled in the truck, including Ms. Jezzy Lou. Drove around town, was gone 45 minutes. Came back, no sign of anyone being here. Call Real Estate company and she says "Oh, wait I think we got a message that they cancelled." !!!!!! Comes back on the phone and says "So sorry we didn't let you know, yes they cancelled." :mad: Not really a big deal, but, really? It took 45 minutes out of our time that we could have been doing something else more productive. And now that I am typing this, I feel like a cry baby. If that's the worse that happened to us today, we should feel fortunate. Just annoyed.

Sorry to hear about Jezzy Lou and the thunder. Rangeley use to go hide in the bathroom too. It was awful.

Where are you moving to? Hopefully somewhere cooler. It was brutal for about a week, now getting 80s. Still hot for me. Going back up to 90s soon [emoji852]️

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I was so happy the other day, I saw a doggy daddy carrying his fur baby so her feet weren't on the hot pavement. I told him thank you for thinking of her. I just think people should be told, good or bad when they take care of their furkids.

You are so right!

I agree with you. How rude to just leave you hanging without a heads-up. Sometimes real estate folks are so pressured to make a living they forget about the right thing to do!

Happy Weekend Everyone!

I've been very busy with retirement "stuff", again, retirement is not for "sissies".

The weather is so disgusting; hot and humid, not my favorite....thank goodness for central air.

Remember: When calling the various cruise lines and requesting something, such as; putting the box on your veranda, they have the capability of emailing the Passenger Services Desk onboard and making all needs and requests by future guests possible.

Cindy,

We are staying in town. Travis only has 3 more years of High School, hate pulling him out now. We are seriously considering a small little house in a cooler area so that we can be "Sun Birds" and get out of this heat in the summers. Crazy, the kids go back to school 8-6-18, ALREADY. Have been busy with Travis Eagle Scout project. Slowly getting it done. What a major undertaking. Not his project so much as the paperwork and getting all the ducks lined in a row. Boy Scouts are a stickler for the paperwork being wordly just right. And rightfully so. It has been an eye opener and Travis has grown so much in the responsibility department and trying to do things that other wise he would have just said "I can't do it". Did you read that in a whiny little tone? LOL.

Cindy,

We are staying in town. Travis only has 3 more years of High School, hate pulling him out now. We are seriously considering a small little house in a cooler area so that we can be "Sun Birds" and get out of this heat in the summers. Crazy, the kids go back to school 8-6-18, ALREADY. Have been busy with Travis Eagle Scout project. Slowly getting it done. What a major undertaking. Not his project so much as the paperwork and getting all the ducks lined in a row. Boy Scouts are a stickler for the paperwork being wordly just right. And rightfully so. It has been an eye opener and Travis has grown so much in the responsibility department and trying to do things that other wise he would have just said "I can't do it". Did you read that in a whiny little tone? LOL.

Omg Travis is in high school? Wow where did the time go.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Cindy,

We watched this boy grow up. Good job Nancy.

It won't be long and I'll have to start getting Horton's paperwork going for his Hawaii cruise in December. It was so convenient to have all the necessary office supplies when I was working. Now I have to run to the PO Box and use their scanner/fax machine and whatever else it's going to take to get the necessary paperwork to the officials.

Of course first Horton has to have his Vet visit and, if I remember correctly, it all has to be done within two weeks of boarding the ship.

Hawaii's laws for dogs entering their state are ridiculously demanding. Although, we will be entering less than a year after our last cruise there will be less paperwork needed because some of their licenses stay in effect for one year.

Personally, I think that Princess handles all the paperwork, restrictions and demands better than Carnival. Although, Carnival's crew and staff have been very attentive and kind to me and my dogs.

The paperwork, rights and regulations for bringing a Service Dog into a public environment can be very stressful for some businesses.

The folks behind the Passenger Services Desks and the crew that walk around the ship can be faced with a lot of complicated issues and how they handle me and my dog can either make or break my cruise.

Roz, Cindy and any others that have been around awhile, you don't realize how much you were around "watching" and "helping" me with Travis. We are very proud of him. He is very much in tune with his History and keeps up with current events. He loves to debate, anything, just like his Papa. Get the two of them going and I have to leave the room! The kids are going on a Canoe trip, down the Colorado River tomorrow. He has come so far with his fear of water. Still there, but he is learning to compensate and trusts his Youth Leaders so much that he is willing to try anything with them. Next week, they are going to San Diego for the week and will be going out on the boat into the ocean/harbor. He said he doesn't want to do that, but I bet he ends up doing it once he gets there. His Scout leaders and church Youth group leaders are responsible for his coming out of his shell and being a responsible young man. Still have to remind him at home to do his chores, but can't ask for everything!

Thank you guys for being there when I needed you. Oh, and boy oh boy is he an animal lover. He so wants Leann Emily to be his kitty, which he doesn't know, but she is. He can pick her up and do about anything with her, except put her in her crate and she just lets him do it. She just isn't the cuddly type, so he wants his own kitty! :o Leann Emily would not stand for that. The good part, when he gets older and we can finally get away on a cruise, I think we will have a built in furkid sitter!

I'm exhausted!

We are doing some construction. Building rental property toward our retirement income. I've had rental property for nearly 23 years, but I've never spent this much time on it, and never done this much new construction.

Anyway, my 22 yr old son and I spent the weekend laying flooring. I couldn't find anyone willing to install what I want to use for a price I was willing to pay. Well, one guy, but he isn't available until September. I need it installed yesterday! So, 700 sq ft in, and 4900 to go. Geez. OMG I hurt so much!

Scooter supervised all weekend He'd go from laying on the floor to laying on his cot and back. Outside every so often. Next door to grammy's house for a drink and for me to use the restroom.

Guess what I'm doing every night after work for the next couple of weeks? You guessed it! Flooring!

Uggg. I'd take a couple of days off work and do it, but I don't have the days. I have them all booked up for cruising.

Oh well, one of these day's I'll be glad of it.

Hope you all are good!