Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi, All. We’re sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale this afternoon on a 10-day New England/Canada cruise on HAL’s Veendam. Raylene’s 8th Cruise.

Nice to have minimal paperwork since all ports this time are US or Canada. Just the 7001 Health Certificate and her rabies certificate.

We’re trying one of their “Lanai” staterooms this time that have a big sliding door leading directly onto the lower promenade deck. Convenient for long walks around the deck.

Bon-Voyage Chris your stateroom sounds wonderful. Have fun and come back and tell us all about it.

I love it when the paperwork is simple!

Karyn RN, two pee spots would be cool! Was the balcony on your Carnival ship separated fully from its neighbors, or were there side panels with 4 or 5 inches of space between them and the floor, as on HAL ships? I wonder about the neighbors' reaction to moisture sluicing under those panels. Meanwhile, Trooper has now been on three cruises (Alaska, Caribbean, Panama Canal) and is used to hiking to the potty box.

Carnival has become the "winner", as far as I'm concerned when it comes to the potty box construction and placing it where we like best!

Carnival does a great job of making our dogs feel welcome and comfortable!

Well we are bringing our own sod. Our neighbor has some that they are not using. I figured roll it up and put it in a plastic bag. Ive got a granny cart that i can put it in. They can take it at the dock and put it in the box. Im hoping it works out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Brilliant! As long as you can handle it being put up on the TSA scanner yourself, that's about the worst of it. The granny cart is so helpful!

Barb - on the Infinity in 2016 and the Solstice in 2017. We had a huge Concierge aft balcony on the Infinity, but on the Solstice we had a standard Veranda. Celebrity is very reluctant to move the box, but I was able to convince them it was a necessity for me.

Dianne

That's exactly how Celebrity was with me. Very reluctant in the beginning but slowly they became more helpful and accommodating. I would cruise them again, easily.

We are also off to our cruise of the Hawaiian islands. We have seven days around the islands and then five days across the Pacific to Vancouver. I faxed everything to the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture last week and they have pre-cleared her arrival. We are flying to Honolulu so all we have left to do is have her inspected in the airport.

Dianne

Dianne, have a wonderful cruise and a good flight. Have a foo-foo drink for me!

When there are other service dogs on the cruises you take, do you try to get together with the other partners and exchange stories? Are all the dogs really aloof from one another, as the standards say they are supposed to be?

There’s one other dog on board, also a black Lab, a guide dog for a visually-impaired woman, which made an attempt to zip in Raylene’s direction the first day at lunch until the handler’s sighted friend gave a couple of stern “Leave It!” commands and reeled him back in.

HAL always gives each dog its own personal mulch box with room number label. Their box disappeared from the forward covered promenade the second day. They are in a Neptune Suite so probably successfully convinced the staff to move the box to the huge balcony. (We’re fine with the location since it’s on our same deck, and can be reached via passenger corridors without having to get wet if it’s raining.) Bob saw them and said hello the other day, but we haven’t seen them around the ship much. I hope we’ll get a chance to meet.

Have a great cruise!! Cant wait to hear how the ship is for accessibility. Is is a hc lanai? John and i actually looked at those cruises but we were chicken to try such an old ship.

I love the Veendam - it feels like a true ocean liner - but it is definitely smaller and older, and we all know the newer ships have much more accessible features. Like big accessible rooms and a lot of the auto-opening doors to the outside decks.

Our Lanai is not a handicap accessible one, but

I don’t have mobility issues so don’t need one. The glass sliding door out to the promenade is heavy to pull open, and not wide enough for a w-chair (plus there’s a ledge.)

For people without mobility issues, these are fun staterooms. HAL reserves two deck chairs right outside the sliding door for you, and my dog loves sitting out there with us watching the world go by. Even inside the room, we can watch people walking the promenade (but they can’t see in.) it was very cozy today with the foghorn going and chilly temperatures.

There’s one other dog on board, also a black Lab, a guide dog for a visually-impaired woman, which made an attempt to zip in Raylene’s direction the first day at lunch until the handler’s sighted friend gave a couple of stern “Leave It!” commands and reeled him back in.

HAL always gives each dog its own personal mulch box with room number label. Their box disappeared from the forward covered promenade the second day. They are in a Neptune Suite so probably successfully convinced the staff to move the box to the huge balcony. (We’re fine with the location since it’s on our same deck, and can be reached via passenger corridors without having to get wet if it’s raining.) Bob saw them and said hello the other day, but we haven’t seen them around the ship much. I hope we’ll get a chance to meet.

When we were onboard the Pacific Princess for 19 days through the Panama Canal, we had a box on our patio and one at the end of the hall in a stairwell.

There was another dog onboard with an Iraq Vet. He also had his own box at the end of our hallway in the stairwell. He was in an inside cabin. The crew had placed a sign over each box identifying which one belonged to which dog. The only drawback to the stairwell placements is that the doors are extremely heavy and could not be used by someone alone in a wheelchair.

I hope you're having a good cruise.

I love the Veendam - it feels like a true ocean liner - but it is definitely smaller and older, and we all know the newer ships have much more accessible features. Like big accessible rooms and a lot of the auto-opening doors to the outside decks.

Our Lanai is not a handicap accessible one, but

I don’t have mobility issues so don’t need one. The glass sliding door out to the promenade is heavy to pull open, and not wide enough for a w-chair (plus there’s a ledge.)

For people without mobility issues, these are fun staterooms. HAL reserves two deck chairs right outside the sliding door for you, and my dog loves sitting out there with us watching the world go by. Even inside the room, we can watch people walking the promenade (but they can’t see in.) it was very cozy today with the foghorn going and chilly temperatures.

These staterooms sound so interesting and inviting. I like HAL, always a nice quiet experience.

I hope you are having a great time Chris. We also (for the first time) have another service dog on board with us - also a black lab for a visually-impaired woman. We have not seen them yet though.

Dianne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not flying Roz. Cruise goes right out of Boston!!

My favorite way to cruise.....just drive to the port. There are so many advantages to cruising this way. I know it can be limiting in terms of our destinations but the cruise lines are trying to please the sector in our society who don't or can't fly.

It's 90 degrees here in L.A. today. Feels like summer has arrived. I had the fireplace going just a few days ago. Boy, talk about weather extremes!

Horton is shedding like crazy [he goes through a complete undercoat shedding in April and September], he sheds all year long but not like this. Some Labs are double and even triple coated......they look like sheep when they start the process. The groomer said she has some folks who actually shave their Labs during the process but when their coats grow back in they never look the same, especially the Black Labs, they lose their shiny, silky look!

How do you folks with Labs and Retrievers deal with the shedding?

I'm thinking seriously of going through a different organization when Horton retires, some orgs. train Poodles and Poodle/Lab crosses. CCI doesn't train any breed but the Lab or the Lab/Golden cross. The king of shedders!

I know these dogs need to be groomed in a different way.......that's okay, I'm just so tired of keeping up with the floating hair every where in my home. The hair is in my kitchen cupboards, in the shower.....EVERYWHERE!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! :hearteyes:

Hi, good afternoon! I've been reading some of the things in this thread, and it's so much wonderful information! My mother and I are bringing her service dog Peach on Royal Caribbean this June for the first time... And I'm terrified.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't like confrontation, but I know that it's sometimes necessary with a service dog. She doesn't have a visible disability, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the barrage of "how'd you bring your pet on board?" questions I was reading earlier in this forum.

Sorry, rambling... My actual question here may have been answered already, but I couldn't find it while clicking through some of the almost thousand pages of responses. (Wow! Thank you so much for helping so many people with questions, Roz!)

Our service dog, Peach, has a bit of a hip problem, and she is 14 pounds of Bichon Frise. I have a stroller for her because while she doesn't walk very well, she still preforms her assigned duty to a T.

I'm really concerned about how people might react to her being in the stroller... While this is for her safety, and the safety of others, I'm worried we'll be confronted more times than not.

Have you seen any smaller service animals in strollers or other carrying devices for their safety? And if so, what was the general reaction from the public?

We've reserved a private table in the dining room, so I'm not too worried about that.

I guess I'm just over stressing myself... But any tips on how to sail with a smaller dog would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, good afternoon! I've been reading some of the things in this thread, and it's so much wonderful information! My mother and I are bringing her service dog Peach on Royal Caribbean this June for the first time... And I'm terrified.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't like confrontation, but I know that it's sometimes necessary with a service dog. She doesn't have a visible disability, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the barrage of "how'd you bring your pet on board?" questions I was reading earlier in this forum.

Sorry, rambling... My actual question here may have been answered already, but I couldn't find it while clicking through some of the almost thousand pages of responses. (Wow! Thank you so much for helping so many people with questions, Roz!)

Our service dog, Peach, has a bit of a hip problem, and she is 14 pounds of Bichon Frise. I have a stroller for her because while she doesn't walk very well, she still preforms her assigned duty to a T.

I'm really concerned about how people might react to her being in the stroller... While this is for her safety, and the safety of others, I'm worried we'll be confronted more times than not.

Have you seen any smaller service animals in strollers or other carrying devices for their safety? And if so, what was the general reaction from the public?

We've reserved a private table in the dining room, so I'm not too worried about that.

I guess I'm just over stressing myself... But any tips on how to sail with a smaller dog would be greatly appreciated!

First, welcome, you are so welcome about starting this thread. I have met some of the nicest and most sincere, loving folks in my life. I cherish this thread and all who have joined in! We've helped each other beyond belief.

Bringing our Service Dogs onboard a cruise is over the top daunting. Most of our dogs are of the Lab/Golden Retriever breed......they're big and they're bold. They lay in public places, either out in the open or under a table. Fellow passengers are so intrigued by them; they want to know everything about them. If the handler is not blind or in a wheel chair then the other folks think you've got your pet onboard and they have a myriad of questions for you. You literally have to allow 1/2 hour for any venue you're going to just to allow for the questions and the requests to pat your dog.

Now, let's talk about the "little" Service Dog; the one that has to be carried through the crowds and in the elevators, and can be carried in various ways: I've seen strollers, doggy carriages of all kinds and even the over the shoulder swaddle-type carrier [usually used for an infant.] This dog will bring out either the best or the WORST in other people. If your dog reacts to others by whining, barking, nipping or licking.....the public will NOT believe it's an actual or legitimate Service Dog. Of course this goes for the larger dogs as well. But, the "little" dog will be scrutinized more frequently by others.

You MUST be sure that your dog has good public manners, when amongst others. It's okay to find an empty lounge and let your dog just be a dog. Let him play and be patted by others.

I saw a lady with a Pekinese be put off the ship in San Diego, with her luggage because her dog had bitten the finger of a passenger who reached out to pat it without asking. We all know that a true Service Dog, no matter what the size, can be touched anytime, without reacting in any way!

Some folks have Emotional Support Dogs who are amazing company for "them" but are not truly socialized to be in a public setting......like a crowded elevator or a dining room, where they MUST act appropriately. They get a Vet to help them fill out the paperwork to present to the cruise line and they're cleared to cruise but in no way, shape or form are ready to deal with the noise, crowds, rough seas, loud music and anything else that might come their way onboard a floating hotel.

I love cruising and have been doing it since the mid 1980's. With a Service Dog since 2005. My first SD had finished her 15th cruise before she retired and Horton will be on his 11th in December. My dogs are truly my partners in everything I do in life. They make my life more fulfilled and definitely more fun! They are better behaved than any child you'll see in out and about in the public.

Peach should NEVER be fed at the dining table. If peach must be near her handler in order to work, such as being on her lap or next to her in her seat, then she should be respectful as to not walk across the table or be sat on the table. If you attend the shows make sure the staff knows where you would like to sit and they will "reserve" seats for you so that you don't have to wheel or carry her over folks who may not want to sit next to your dog.

If you're thoughtful of others and their concerns about being around a dog, or their avoiding your dog due to allergies, you will make friends and have a more pleasant cruising experience. That said; sometimes you just can't avoid some people who won't like being near your dog, no matter what you say or do to be nice to them. Don't worry too much about these people. I used try to please everyone with my 90lb dog and trying to keep him away from the folks who hate furry beings.......it's impossible, don't make yourself crazy or take any of it personally!

Being prepared with your paperwork from the Vet, the pre-setting up of the potty box and having all your dogs needs met before you cruise, is the secret to a successful and fun filled vacation. Please ask us any questions you may have.

There's so many of you cruising with your dogs........Have a wonderful time!! Please don't forget to come back and share your stories with us.

A Very special love to our Grand Old Gentleman "Wexy"........I think he's now 11 years old and he's cruising like a youngster.....Keep it up! We can't wait to see those Bermuda shots of you! You're setting the bar mighty high for the rest of us Mr. Wexler. :hearteyes:

First, welcome, you are so welcome about starting this thread. I have met some of the nicest and most sincere, loving folks in my life. I cherish this thread and all who have joined in! We've helped each other beyond belief.

Bringing our Service Dogs onboard a cruise is over the top daunting. Most of our dogs are of the Lab/Golden Retriever breed......they're big and they're bold. They lay in public places, either out in the open or under a table. Fellow passengers are so intrigued by them; they want to know everything about them. If the handler is not blind or in a wheel chair then the other folks think you've got your pet onboard and they have a myriad of questions for you. You literally have to allow 1/2 hour for any venue you're going to just to allow for the questions and the requests to pat your dog.

Now, let's talk about the "little" Service Dog; the one that has to be carried through the crowds and in the elevators, and can be carried in various ways: I've seen strollers, doggy carriages of all kinds and even the over the shoulder swaddle-type carrier [usually used for an infant.] This dog will bring out either the best or the WORST in other people. If your dog reacts to others by whining, barking, nipping or licking.....the public will NOT believe it's an actual or legitimate Service Dog. Of course this goes for the larger dogs as well. But, the "little" dog will be scrutinized more frequently by others.

You MUST be sure that your dog has good public manners, when amongst others. It's okay to find an empty lounge and let your dog just be a dog. Let him play and be patted by others.

I saw a lady with a Pekinese be put off the ship in San Diego, with her luggage because her dog had bitten the finger of a passenger who reached out to pat it without asking. We all know that a true Service Dog, no matter what the size, can be touched anytime, without reacting in any way!

Some folks have Emotional Support Dogs who are amazing company for "them" but are not truly socialized to be in a public setting......like a crowded elevator or a dining room, where they MUST act appropriately. They get a Vet to help them fill out the paperwork to present to the cruise line and they're cleared to cruise but in no way, shape or form are ready to deal with the noise, crowds, rough seas, loud music and anything else that might come their way onboard a floating hotel.

I love cruising and have been doing it since the mid 1980's. With a Service Dog since 2005. My first SD had finished her 15th cruise before she retired and Horton will be on his 11th in December. My dogs are truly my partners in everything I do in life. They make my life more fulfilled and definitely more fun! They are better behaved than any child you'll see in out and about in the public.

Peach should NEVER be fed at the dining table. If peach must be near her handler in order to work, such as being on her lap or next to her in her seat, then she should be respectful as to not walk across the table or be sat on the table. If you attend the shows make sure the staff knows where you would like to sit and they will "reserve" seats for you so that you don't have to wheel or carry her over folks who may not want to sit next to your dog.

If you're thoughtful of others and their concerns about being around a dog, or their avoiding your dog due to allergies, you will make friends and have a more pleasant cruising experience. That said; sometimes you just can't avoid some people who won't like being near your dog, no matter what you say or do to be nice to them. Don't worry too much about these people. I used try to please everyone with my 90lb dog and trying to keep him away from the folks who hate furry beings.......it's impossible, don't make yourself crazy or take any of it personally!

Being prepared with your paperwork from the Vet, the pre-setting up of the potty box and having all your dogs needs met before you cruise, is the secret to a successful and fun filled vacation. Please ask us any questions you may have.

I really appreciate the encouragement! Peach is the sweetest little lady ever, and loves to be petted. She knows not to beg at tables or make a lot of, if any, noise. (the occasional grumble when she gets into a different position, of course, being the exception).

We are in the process of getting all the paperwork together, so I'm not worried about any of the legal questions the cruise may have... I guess I'll just have to prepare for the questions from guests! She has her service vest, and Bichon's are hypoallergenic. So hopefully that will quell any of the allergy concerns we may encounter.

I truly appreciate your response to my worries! I'm feeling a lot better knowing we won't have been the only people to have had a smaller dog on board.

I really appreciate the encouragement! Peach is the sweetest little lady ever, and loves to be petted. She knows not to beg at tables or make a lot of, if any, noise. (the occasional grumble when she gets into a different position, of course, being the exception).

We are in the process of getting all the paperwork together, so I'm not worried about any of the legal questions the cruise may have... I guess I'll just have to prepare for the questions from guests! She has her service vest, and Bichon's are hypoallergenic. So hopefully that will quell any of the allergy concerns we may encounter.

I truly appreciate your response to my worries! I'm feeling a lot better knowing we won't have been the only people to have had a smaller dog on board.

You sound like you're getting all your ducks-in-a-row and that you'll be prepared to have a positive experience. I wish you a wonderful and successful first cruise with Miss. Peach!

Please come back and tell us all about your first experience.

There's so many of you cruising with your dogs........Have a wonderful time!! Please don't forget to come back and share your stories with us.

A Very special love to our Grand Old Gentleman "Wexy"........I think he's now 11 years old and he's cruising like a youngster.....Keep it up! We can't wait to see those Bermuda shots of you! You're setting the bar mighty high for the rest of us Mr. Wexler. [emoji813]eyes:

Here sums up Wexlers cruise. IMG_20180507_191004.thumb.jpg.f6d2c6c1bf8668ac26a0ab145d097102.jpg

Vet appointment was this morning. We leave next Thursday for Seattle. I now have the 7001 form and an additional copy of the rabies certificate signed in blue ink.

The vet was funny. She said, "if you are just doing Canada, you don't need the 7001." I replied that I knew that, but the cruise ship expects the 7001 document and better safe than sorry. It just means I don't need to drive it to the capital for a counter signature.

I have the suitcases out and we will be packing this weekend!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vet appointment was this morning. We leave next Thursday for Seattle. I now have the 7001 form and an additional copy of the rabies certificate signed in blue ink.

The vet was funny. She said, "if you are just doing Canada, you don't need the 7001." I replied that I knew that, but the cruise ship expects the 7001 document and better safe than sorry. It just means I don't need to drive it to the capital for a counter signature.

I have the suitcases out and we will be packing this weekend!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Didnt realize you didnt even need the 7001 for Canada. Have a great cruise!