Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi, everybody. It’s April again - time for the annual ACVO Stokes service animal screening eye exam. I registered today and now need to make an appointment for May. Hope the link works, but if not, here’s the website anyway:

https://www.acvoeyeexam.org/qualifications-expectations/

Just registered but unfortunately no clinic is near me, the closest is Alberta and I'm in BC :(

OK folks...meet Winchester. He is an 8 week old Lab Golden cross who we hope will be a service dog

one day!! We picked him up at the airport yesterday. He is fearless. Let the learning begin!!

rcj4td.jpg

rcj4td.jpg

Wow. Too cute.

Good luck with him. I hope he learns a lot and is a great service to someone who needs him.

Just registered but unfortunately no clinic is near me, the closest is Alberta and I'm in BC :(

That's a shame. It seems as though the ACVO participating vets change often. This year, there was only one choice in my area. But reading your message, makes me grateful it is only a short drive again.

OK folks...meet Winchester. He is an 8 week old Lab Golden cross who we hope will be a service dog

one day!! We picked him up at the airport yesterday. He is fearless. Let the learning begin!!

rcj4td.jpg

rcj4td.jpg

Adorable! Good luck, Winchester! You have a great life ahead of you.

rcj4td.jpg

rcj4td.jpg

Congratulations! Winchester is destined for great things! Many thanks to you and all of our other puppy raisers.

Dianne

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I are booked for our first cruise on Allure of the Seas in May. I'm a little nervous since this is also the first time going out of country with my service dog Banditt. Anyone have experience with Mexico, the Bahamas or Honduras? I'm almost 100% sure I've done everything but I'm a worrier.

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I are booked for our first cruise on Allure of the Seas in May. I'm a little nervous since this is also the first time going out of country with my service dog Banditt. Anyone have experience with Mexico, the Bahamas or Honduras? I'm almost 100% sure I've done everything but I'm a worrier.

Have you obtained a permit to take the dog to the Bahamas? You will need it even if you don’t plan to take the dog ashore, according to what several people here have been told.

If you have made an appointment with a vet accredited by USDA APHIS to have Health certificates issued before you travel, that’s the next step. Check the APHIS Pet Travel website for more details and contact the vet’s office about your itinerary if you haven’t already.

If your dog hasn’t been inoculated against Leptospirosis, the vet will need to do that. All the dog’s vaccination dates, microchip number, parasite treatments, etc must be entered on the form 7001 Health Certificate by the vet.

Take these papers and your dog’s rabies certificate in your hand luggage to the ship for check-in. Depending on the Mexican port, you may (or may not) be required to bring the dog to a lounge for inspection by port officials before the ship can be cleared for passengers to disembark. Your ship’s Documentation (or Port Paper) Officer on board will contact you regarding a time and place.

rcj4td.jpg

rcj4td.jpg

Are you kidding me! This little imp can have anything he wants in my world. Good luck with him he's so, so adorable. Winchester, you are a very lucky boy, you have a wonderful home with some truly loving humans. Work hard little guy, I promise it will pay off in the end!

Hi everyone,

Make sure you have 3 copies of all the paperwork from your Vet. It will make your life so much easier if you can just hand a complete copy to the folks at registration, another one to the folks at the Passenger Services Desk and another one to the Agricultural Inspectors [who will want to see Banditt at your first docked port.]

The Aphis 7001 Form is the most accepted in most ports. It's important that your dog be microchpped, on Heart Guard, NexGuard, be free of any skin problems and have clean ears, skin and fur.

It's important that the form be filled out in entirety and that NO ABBREVIATIONS be used. Everything should be spelled out clearly.

Make sure you contact the ships Special Needs Dept. and make sure that your dogs potty box is set-up before you enter the ship. And request they use a cedar mulch or something like it.

Be prepared to have ALL your dogs food packed, potty bags, emergency meds. and some toys/dog chews for your dogs comfort.

Plan your daily activities onboard the ship with some extra time for lots of questions and do allow for some patting. Your fellow passengers and crew are missing their furbabies and are so entranced by the Service Dog in general.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Happy Weekend Everyone! Horton and I are getting used to our retirement. Boy! It's sure a lot of work to not work. 30 years is a lot of time to give!

I like the sleeping in, so does Horty. He was meant to be a very lazy, take it easy kind of boy! I also like the not having to get in line on the freeway or keep up with the cars on the canyons so the slower cars don't try to bump in front of me. I also don't miss the eighteen wheelers who think they can pull in front and just miss killing me by a fraction of an inch. I don't miss the honking horns, screeching tires, speeding motorcyclists or the maniacs who think that swearing at you through their windows is acceptable behavior! $400 a month for gas will never be missed. Free at last, thank God, I'm free at last!!!! Now, if my son will just pay me back my retirement money.....I can really feel the freedom!

I keep waiting for someone to come over and ask me to meet one deadline or another. Or, be ready for a big meeting at the end of the day or the first thing in the morning. What-the-heck there's actually no one interrupting me while I'm on the phone, or on the computer [except for a big hairy beast that insists that I rub his tummy more now!]

The only part of this retirement thing is that I'm not enjoying it with Morey.......:(

Hi everyone,

Do you have the service dog agreement from Special Needs? The one you have to bring with you agreeing not to feed the dog in any public place, and that they don't provide food?

Did you request sod on the special needs document? Did they reply stating it had been requested? The document I sent in states that sod may be requested on all sailings from the US.