HAL cancels Mazatlan

fionan

Just received an email saying that on the 26th March sailing Oosterdam will overnight at Puerto Vallarta on the Tuesday and skip the Wednesday call at Mazatlan. The email came from Olivia, the charter organiser, but it said that Holland America is canceling Mazatlan for the rest of the season. So sad for the people in that town who depend on the cruise ships for their livelihood.

Thanks very much for letting us know. I'm not surprised unfortunately with the goings on and other ships cancelling. It's sad to see the violence and drug lords destroy tourism.

Thanks very much for letting us know. I'm not surprised unfortunately with the goings on and other ships cancelling. It's sad to see the violence and drug lords destroy tourism.

True, but based on that they might as well cancel stops in North America too. Vancouver and LA for example.

True, but based on that they might as well cancel stops in North America too. Vancouver and LA for example.

Startwin - well, I haven't seen any bodies hanging from the bridges in Vancouver...or people's head's being cut off....Yes, there is crime but come on - doesn't even compare to what is being reported in Mexico (IMHO).

Canuck

Yes, I very much agree that it is very sad for Mazatlan, I really like Mazatlan :(

But I like the idea of of the over night in Puerta Vallarta over the two days in Cabo. Personally there are so many more things to do in PV than the over priced area of Cabo. JMHO :o

Yes, I very much agree that it is very sad for Mazatlan, I really like Mazatlan :(

But I like the idea of of the over night in Puerta Vallarta over the two days in Cabo. Personally there are so many more things to do in PV than the over priced area of Cabo. JMHO :o

Took the words right out of my mouth (or should I say keyboard?)! ;) We had a great time overnighting in PV last December and would love to do that again. After visiting Cabo once, I don't have much interest in returning (even though we will on our next cruise)

LAFFNVEGAS - I agree with you. I would be jumping for joy right now with an overnite in PV (my favourite place in the world!!) but we are on the Sea of Cortez so don't know if they will substitute something else like La Paz instead. Hopefully they will tell us so we know ahead of time to make plans.

Canuck

We have a Mexican Riviera -Sea of Cortez cruise coming up on another cruise line leaving in just a few more weeks and so far we have not heard they are cancelling Mazatlan, which was one of the reasons we took this cruise because we liked it so well and wanted to go back. Wonder what they will be doing should they change -- hope they add another stop in the Sea of Cortez instead if they do finally drop Mazatlan.

The March 26 sailing of the Oosterdam seems to be a full charter and is not on the HAL website.

Seems rather odd that nobody from the March 12 or March 19 sailings have come forward with similar information. They should have heard before.

We are on the April 23 sailing, last one of the season, for a 10-day Sea of Cortez and then 4 days on to Vancouver. We would love an overnight in Puerto Vallarta. I hope we hear soon!

I sail on the Oosterdam tomorrow. I received no e-mails regarding the itinerary change. I logged into my HAL account and my itinerary still shows my cruise calling on Mazatlan on Wed 16 Mar 8:30 - 5:00. I guess I won't find out until I get to the ship. :confused:

Wishing all of you with stops in Mazatlan in the next few weeks good luck and safe travels. It is very odd indeed that HAL would deem it unsafe for the March 26 cruise but safe for the March 12 and March 19 sailings. They are really doing all of us a disservice by not making their intentions clear.

The Oosterdam was there just this last Wednesday (3-9) and spinner2(?) posted about all the people that were there on the docks welcoming them, providing maps and tips about the city.

According to the other threads poster, the day wasn't bad at all - no violence. Wondering if the cruise that has cancelled the stop is doing so because it is a full charter.

Will just have to play the waiting game. We sail 4 weeks from tomorrow and REALLY hope we do get to go to Mazatlan.:)

Cut and pasted right from email:

We look forward to welcoming you on our fantastic Mexican Riviera Cruise in just over two weeks!

We are writing to let you know about a change in our itinerary. Holland America advised us that they made the decision today to remove Mazatlán from their itineraries for the remainder of the season.

The revision to the itinerary was made in response to recent incidents in Mazatlán. As always, your safety and comfort is our first priority. Instead we will overnight in Puerto Vallarta.

Holland America is working swiftly to organize excursion opportunities for our second day in Puerto Vallarta and will begin processing full refunds for your booked excursions in Mazatlán. Holland America aims to have the new excursion offerings available as soon as Monday, March 14.

Hope this helps...

Startwin - well, I haven't seen any bodies hanging from the bridges in Vancouver...or people's head's being cut off....Yes, there is crime but come on - doesn't even compare to what is being reported in Mexico (IMHO).

Canuck

Well I've been to Mazatlan lots and never saw any bodies hanging from bridges there either, or any headless corpses! I've always felt safe there. I was responding to Kazu's post, and the "goings on" in many cities in North America would also be cause to cancel port stops there. Vancouver certainly has its share of drug wars and gang shootings, as does L.A. and there are areas in Vancouver close to the cruiseport where unsuspecting tourists should not venture into.

Well I've been to Mazatlan lots and never saw any bodies hanging from bridges there either, or any headless corpses! I've always felt safe there. I was responding to Kazu's post, and the "goings on" in many cities in North America would also be cause to cancel port stops there. Vancouver certainly has its share of drug wars and gang shootings, as does L.A. and there are areas in Vancouver close to the cruiseport where unsuspecting tourists should not venture into.

And Calgary is no better. Lots of crime here and I'm not afraid to admit it. I was in Mazatlan in Feb.2011 and I wasn't the least bit scared. Like you say no shootings or bodies hanging from bridges or headless corpses. I've felt WAY more scared in places in the Caribbean.

The March 26 sailing of the Oosterdam seems to be a full charter and is not on the HAL website.

Seems rather odd that nobody from the March 12 or March 19 sailings have come forward with similar information. They should have heard before.

We are on the April 23 sailing, last one of the season, for a 10-day Sea of Cortez and then 4 days on to Vancouver. We would love an overnight in Puerto Vallarta. I hope we hear soon!

I am on the March 19th Sailing and have not heard anything from HAL or my TA. I hadn't planned on getting off the ship in Mazatlan.

Like all the other posts, it is so sad that tourism is being destroyed in Mexico.

Interesting....

Over night in Puerto Vallarta - Imagine how much HAL will save in fuel expense.

When we were in Mazatlán in February I had the chance to talk to an American who lives in Mazatlan in the Winter and USA in the Summer. She felt the Port Charges and expiring contracts may have a lot to do with not porting in Mazatlan.

Just another thought or two...

We were on the Sea of Cortez the last weeks of March 2010 and walked from the ship to the town center and spent some time there. We had no feeling of problems, but perhaps things happened in other areas of the City and that is a consideration. Friends are going to a condo in Maz the first week of

April and don't seem concerned.

Glad to hear that the "O" will be in PV on 3/26--so will we and we stay at a condo resort just a few blocks from the pier, so will have a chance to see this ship. We also love PV and are looking forward to our trip there. Ciao! hmh:)

It seems that HAL and other cruiselines seem to have the rottenest ports possible. Why can't they go to nice places instead of poverty stricken places? They even build ports like Grand Turk instead of Providenciales and Costa Maya. Why don't they build ports in better places? Probably $$$$$.

Interesting....

Over night in Puerto Vallarta - Imagine how much HAL will save in fuel expense.

When we were in Mazatlán in February I had the chance to talk to an American who lives in Mazatlan in the Winter and USA in the Summer. She felt the Port Charges and expiring contracts may have a lot to do with not porting in Mazatlan.

Just another thought or two...

I've heard the very same thing about the port charges.

All of the emails noting the changes in the Oosterdam - March 26th - cruise were all sent to persons who are schedule to sail on the CHARTER cruise that was organized by the Olivia group. No information about sending it to any other booked passengers. Would suggest holding off on making any changes until the information regarding changes is verified by HAL.

Archived