Will it fit through the scanner

briehon

Just a word of caution as this happened to me June 9th at the Port of Jacksonville. My Suitcases were smaller than the 16" tall and 24" wide that is listed on Carnival's website and when I got to security they made my check it. After a few minutes of trying to explain that it was under the dimensions listed on Carnival's website, the nice security office informed me "It's not a Carnival rule, It's a Port Authority Rule". So I ended up having to check both of my suitcases. :(

That's weird, we have been carrying on all of our luggage for a few years now. Some bags are bigger than that and some are smaller.

Maybe you had a new worker? Didn't they see all the other people carrying bags?

That's weird, we have been carrying on all of our luggage for a few years now. Some bags are bigger than that and some are smaller.

Maybe you had a new worker? Didn't they see all the other people carrying bags?

In a number of ports, I've been told by port workers that we had to check bags. I just refused and kept going. Eventually we made it to the scanner and put the bags through with no problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

FYI - just got home. People took all sizes, shapes and amounts of luggage and no one questioned them. (we were sailing out of Galveston on the Valor). Also, I did not understand previously that the porters take your bags at the curb, then THEY take them inside.

Thanks for the advice, all. I guess you were right - Carnival's rules are just suggestions.

Remember, when they say 16x24, it's not 24 inches tall standing up. It's when the suitcase is lying down (like if you're getting ready to open it). Length doesn't matter. Our suitcase is too large for airline carry on, but perfect for cruise carry on.

Remember, when they say 16x24, it's not 24 inches tall standing up. It's when the suitcase is lying down (like if you're getting ready to open it). Length doesn't matter. Our suitcase is too large for airline carry on, but perfect for cruise carry on.
You're right about length (from the wheels to the top handle), that doesn't matter. But it shouldn't be more than 16" high when lying flat. And 24" wide (from side to side).

I see that we only allowed one checked and one carry-on, each of which can be no larger than 16x24. That seems small for a 5-day cruise, especially if you bring any formal wear (we won't, but if we did our shoes would take up a whole bag).

Am I understanding the luggage rules correctly? Just one small suitcase per person? (plus carry-on which will have sodas, etc)

From Carnival FAQs: "Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor)."

You're right about length (from the wheels to the top handle), that doesn't matter. But it shouldn't be more than 16" high when lying flat. And 24" wide (from side to side).

Right - I meant to say that as well, but apparently got distracted before I finished typing & hit enter too soon, not realizing I hadn't finished. So, thanks for clarifying that.

Wow. We just booked faster to the fun for our first Carnival Cruise. We'll have two 29 inch long roller bags that fit width and height wise so we may just bring them on. My thought was they would discourage this but if we can go right to our rooms, we may do this. Nice to have the option to be unpacked before dinner as our last NCL cruise several of our bags didnt get to the room until later in the evening.

Wow. We just booked faster to the fun for our first Carnival Cruise. We'll have two 29 inch long roller bags that fit width and height wise so we may just bring them on. My thought was they would discourage this but if we can go right to our rooms, we may do this. Nice to have the option to be unpacked before dinner as our last NCL cruise several of our bags didnt get to the room until later in the evening.

That is why we started carrying our luggage on - so we could have the cabin organized early & enjoy the rest of our vacation.

When my daughter and I went on the Triumph, we carried on fully packed Vera Bradley large duffle bags with no issues. Actually, it was by accident because our bus dropped us off in front of the luggage check-in and we missed it. But in the end, we loved having the room unpacked early.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

We also love being able to unpack right away and have it done. It might be discouraged (we were asked several times if we were sure we didn't want to check), but we were allowed. I do suggest limiting your other bags - getting luggage to your room isn't an issue, but it might be a little crowded in the waiting area.

I will add that many times we end up carrying our luggage up the stairs, as elevators are hard to come by on embarkation day. Some are being used exclusively for staff to transport luggage to the various cabins. The rest are just full of people, so you may not be able to fit in with your suitcase, too. So keep that in mind when choosing your luggage & whether you want to carry it on or not. Fortunately, we are still able to go up 6 or 7 flights of stairs with our luggage. After that trek, we need a frosty adult beverage!