Cuba Questions

cookback

Since Cuba is unique in many ways, can anyone provide me with do's and don'ts ?

For instance, is it safe for 4 women to walk around Havana during the day ?

Are there private excursions that are preferable to some of those offered by O on the 7 day cruise?

If you buy alcohol in Havana can you open it in your cabin and still bring it back into the U.S. ?

Are there specific excursions NOT to miss (even if they are not in the "free" package and cost more) ?

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated...Thanks

Hi,

There is a whole separate board for Cuba with lots of info about tours/excursions etc.

Here is a link but it may not be live so you may have to cut and paste:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

There are lots of posts from Oceania cruisers since that line has many Cuba itineraries.

I am not aware of being allowed to buy alcohol at any port to drink in your cabin but then I don't have any previous Oceania experience.

Hi,

There is a whole separate board for Cuba with lots of info about tours/excursions etc.

Here is a link but it may not be live so you may have to cut and paste:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1009

There are lots of posts from Oceania cruisers since that line has many Cuba itineraries.

I am not aware of being allowed to buy alcohol at any port to drink in your cabin but then I don't have any previous Oceania experience.

Oceania does not care if you bring alcohol on board as long as you keep it in your cabin. So it is really up to the Cuban customs as to your ability to bring alcohol back to the ship.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since Cuba is unique in many ways, can anyone provide me with do's and don'ts ?

For instance, is it safe for 4 women to walk around Havana during the day? My friend and I (2 women) walked all over Havana and Cienfuegos by ourselves and felt very safe. We had a blast and went to many places where there were only locals...no tourists. Even got our hair cut at a little beauty salon. The Cubans are very warm and friendly. They are curious about us (Americans) too and many speak English.

Are there private excursions that are preferable to some of those offered by O on the 7 day cruise? We took 2 private excursions and one O excursion....all were great. The one we took with Oceania was in the evening when we went to see the Buena Vista Social Club.....FANTASTIC!!! They were playing at the Melia Cohiba hotel, but someone posted lately that they are now at a different venue. We got food and drink included in the excursion.

If you buy alcohol in Havana can you open it in your cabin and still bring it back into the U.S.? Don't know...I don't drink alcohol.

Are there specific excursions NOT to miss (even if they are not in the "free" package and cost more)? The one I previously mentioned.

I agree with riffatsea....go to the Cuba board for tons of info. Look at the current threads and search the archived ones. Oceania isn't the only cruiseline going there....Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Azamara, and others. So, lots of people will be posting there.

Oceania does not care if you bring alcohol on board as long as you keep it in your cabin. So it is really up to the Cuban customs as to your ability to bring alcohol back to the ship.

I brought back an unopened bottle of rum (for my son-in-law) and the Cubans let me take it on the ship. The American customs guy didn't even ask if I bought anything in Cuba and there are no more declaration slips to fill out.

But I think the OP is asking if you can take a bottle onto the ship (yes, you can), drink some of it there, then take the not-quite-finished-but-opened bottle back into the US with you. OP, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know the answer to that, though, as my bottle was unopened.

Are there private excursions that are preferable to some of those offered by O on the 7 day cruise?

If you buy alcohol in Havana can you open it in your cabin and still bring it back into the U.S. ?

>Are there private excursions that are preferable to some of those offered by O on the 7 day cruise?

As you are to comply with USA regulations you might want to check if the private excursion qualify (assuming you are wanting to be compliant)

>If you buy alcohol in Havana can you open it in your cabin

Yes

>and still bring it back into the U.S. ?

Up to USA customs if they will allow an open bottle and your state re: alcohol transportation (again if you want to be compliant). I was not personally asked. As an alien I might have had to fill a form but dont recall. If I did I would have declared the rum and that is as far as it went

>Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

As others have posted read the Cuba board for "not O' specific questions and recent experiences. The posted on this board are great and personal experiences are best but you'll get a larger group to poll from on the port board

I brought back an unopened bottle of rum (for my son-in-law) and the Cubans let me take it on the ship. The American customs guy didn't even ask if I bought anything in Cuba and there are no more declaration slips to fill out.

But I think the OP is asking if you can take a bottle onto the ship (yes, you can), drink some of it there, then take the not-quite-finished-but-opened bottle back into the US with you. OP, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know the answer to that, though, as my bottle was unopened.

YYou are absolutely correct... That was my question... Seems like it's not nearly as strict as I originally was told... just don't want to end up in a jail somewhere...lol:D

We found Cuba to be very safe, my SIL walked around on her own & had no problem. We took a compliant tour with Havanajourneys, half walking, half in vintage car & it was wonderful. Cost for 2 or 3 people was $100. They'll take you wherever you'd like to go.