Grand Princess questions

twentyknots

We're considering the Grand Princess next year for a 10 day SF to Alaska in early June. This would be our first Princess cruise. We've sailed on Holland and Celebrity many times and want to try Princess and the 10 day itinerary appeals to us more than just a 7 day from Seattle. Our last cruise on Holland's Oosterdam spoiled us with our first suite. It was cabin 5190 aft wrap around and it was spectacular. The veranda was mostly covered which appeals to us for privacy and inclement weather. Not only the cabin and its location but the suite perks of a concierge in the Neptune lounge and the Neptune grill for breakfast. We want nothing less than that for our Princess cruise.

Here are my questions:

1. For those of you familiar with the Vista class ships on Holland and its aft wrap around Neptune suites, what cabin and deck would be comparable on the Grand?

2. From what I can tell from deck plans it looks like D736/737 or B750/751 might be comparable. Youtubes of the cabins are difficult to find for the Grand sometimes so I wonder if youtubes of other Princess ships can used as a substitute. I wonder too if some decks are considered more desirable than others.

3. What suite perks are offered on the Grand?

We're considering the Grand Princess next year for a 10 day SF to Alaska in early June. This would be our first Princess cruise. We've sailed on Holland and Celebrity many times and want to try Princess and the 10 day itinerary appeals to us more than just a 7 day from Seattle. Our last cruise on Holland's Oosterdam spoiled us with our first suite. It was cabin 5190 aft wrap around and it was spectacular. The veranda was mostly covered which appeals to us for privacy and inclement weather. Not only the cabin and its location but the suite perks of a concierge in the Neptune lounge and the Neptune grill for breakfast. We want nothing less than that for our Princess cruise.

Here are my questions:

1. For those of you familiar with the Vista class ships on Holland and its aft wrap around Neptune suites, what cabin and deck would be comparable on the Grand?

2. From what I can tell from deck plans it looks like D736/737 or B750/751 might be comparable. Youtubes of the cabins are difficult to find for the Grand sometimes so I wonder if youtubes of other Princess ships can used as a substitute. I wonder too if some decks are considered more desirable than others.

3. What suite perks are offered on the Grand?

You are probably correct regarding your selection of cabins. On the Grand Princess the largest full suites are forward on the Lido deck.

Here is a flyer with full suite amenities. There is no concierge on the Grand Princess and no special suite lounge.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Of all the amenities shown I would consider these the most important

Laundry service

Club Class dining for dinner every night and lunch on sea days

Daily mimosa breakfast @ Sabatini's (cooked to order)

Mini Bar set up, can be exchanged on one for one bases, or for two coffee packages or a bottle of wine.

Room Service from the full DR menu.

Note the following regarding Princess:

If you are active or discharged military you can register for OBC. Look up Princess Cruises Military Benefit for the details.

If you have Carnival Corp. stock you can apply for OBC. This is the same as on HAL. Look up Carnival Corp. Stockholder Benefit.

If you have a tender port full suite passengers get priority ship to shore tender service. Shore to ship is not priority.

Realize that the Grand Princess is an older ship, and will show signs of age. Princess does provide a nice on board experience and will be much more active in the evenings than HAL.

sknight covered the suite perks that matter pretty well. Both are excellent choices so it will come down to what matters more to you.

We have been in D736 and D737 on the Crown and loved it. The balcony is covered and the support "Beam" can be used to dodge the sun even further if needed.

I feel the Grand class Vista suites are more private than the Neptune suites. We travel with our 2 daughters. We can pull the divider in the Vista and they can stay up and watch TV or read and it doesn't keep us awake.

Some feel an aft Vista suite has too much wake noise, more ship motion and a longer walk to most things. We don't find these things to be an issue but again, all depends on what you are looking for.

I would say try an aft Vista suite and make the comparisons for yourself. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been in both B750 and B751 Very nice rooms, balcony is nice. We like the aft suites. As per perks, my wife thinks the best is the laundry service and breakfast at Sabatini's , or Crown Grill which ever room they are using. The wait staff gets to know you and are very friendly with you. Also the room stewards are supposed to be the best on the ship. They used to have free internet, which went bye-bye. As to the club dining, we will be on the Grand in August and will see. All the other cruises we have been on have NOT had the club dining/mini suites, so have no idea on how good that perk is. The mini bar set up is nice, you can exchange items for what you like.

D736 (and D737) are great suites. The balcony is very large with 2 lounges and a full size table with 4 chairs. It is covered and very private. Both of these rooms have only one room next to them (to the inboard side). To the outboard side (the white space on the deck plan) is a stairway used to get to muster and not used regularly so no noise. Being on the stern does make the rooms a little bit of a walk but no big deal. The end of the hallway is very quiet as no one is ever walking past the room. The room is large and comfortable and the beam, on the balcony that gets so much attention, is a non-issue. You will not be sorry if you book either of these rooms.

We are elite on Princess and Celebrity, 2 star on HAL as well, not in suites but mini suites... so can't address your suite questions... feel others have done so. What I can tell you even though the Grand is an older ship, 19 years... we have cruised on on this ship when it was brand new, in l998.. and more recently to Mexico, about 5 times in the past 10 years for sure, going again next year on a 7 day California coastal. We love the service on this ship.. we usually eat at the Crown Grill many times, on a cruise... nice steak house. Princess is also very good at responding to off menu requests if you have any, much better than either Celebrity or HAL. Hope you have a great cruise.

Is this your first cruise to Alaska? While 10 days is nice be sure and check details. The Grand tends to have to tender in either Ketchikan or Juneau and this can significantly affect your day in port. Also try for a Glacier Bay sailing over Tracy Arm, where at best you get only a distant view of the Glacier. While Haines is a nice little town there is far more to see and do in Skagway.

This is a nice cruise, I've done it several times including just a month ago. Mid June is my favortie time in Alaska

• 3 weeks later...