Picture-A-Week-2016 - Week 51

pierces

We don't usually get much snow in the NW but this week we did. I tried to get the laser lights reflecting on the snow as it was falling. I must admit, I didn't stay outside very long to try!

DSC08783_zpsc6ilgdza.jpg

As they don't plow or even sand the side streets here we spent a lot of time at home since Weds afternoon!

Vic

Great backstory from Santa's Village Employee: "With all the new toys out there, Santa tried upgrading to his new Dump Truck. Turned out it was just too much for the eight tiny reindeer...and the first house he landed on."

p1107630592-5.jpg

Dave

I had to throw in one more, just because it was a cool scene and very rare for my area. Some of you are lucky enough to live in places where bald eagles are commonly sighted - not down here in South Florida. They are few and far between - just one or two might come down this way and good luck figuring out where they are...so in all my years of bird photography, I've gotten 3 photos of a bald eagle, all taken from distances of up to a mile away, where they look like dust specs on my photo.

Saturday, I was out shooting the birds and wildlife, and heard one of our common fishing birds calling out bloody murder in the sky - an osprey sounded like he was in a total panic. So I looked up to find out what was going on, and noticed a much larger raptor-like bird hot on his tail and chasing him. I rattled off a few shots, and realized as I was snapping them that the pursuing bird was a bald eagle. Only once I got home and checked out the photos blown up a bit more did I see why the eagle was chasing the osprey - the osprey was clutching a half-eaten fish and the eagle apparently wanted to steal it:

original.jpg

This was a cool and rare thing for me, and finally I was able to see and photograph an eagle that could actually be identified in the photo as more than a dust speck. Here's a closer look at the eagle:

original.jpg

Both shots taken with my Sony A6300 and FE70-300mm lens, and cropped quite a bit. Still, it's the closest I've ever gotten to an eagle down here in Florida.

Thanks Dave - you know, that quote really matches the scene well - given the much larger and heavier eagle following behind the smaller and more nimble osprey, yet managing to keep up with him. It does make you think of the big F14 Tomcat tailing those smaller A4 Skyhawks!

Thanks Dave - you know, that quote really matches the scene well - given the much larger and heavier eagle following behind the smaller and more nimble osprey, yet managing to keep up with him. It does make you think of the big F14 Tomcat tailing those smaller A4 Skyhawks!

That was the scene I saw in my head when I saw your picture! :)

p2148742416.jpg

Dave

Great shots of the rays.

Allan

Thank you. I used a cheap Nikon S33 which takes adequate pictures but the view screen is terrible underwater in daylight. Half the time I was just pointing the camera in the direction of the rays and hoped for the best.

A number of my pictures turned out like this one. :D

23w5hc5.jpg

Edited by Oakman58

Please forgive me... I am going to try to add narrative to a couple of photos.

This was the icon for the a major sporting event.

363fd2a42a8798301b7615a0bd62dc54.jpg

This is part of a model of the vast city of Shanghai.

69682f00ac717caf059f664cd884b39c.jpg

This is a funny little dog. We loved this puppy so much, we got one just like him when we returned home from China!

d3d8c42fac220ed9f752931e5ab68b33.jpg

Edited by TracieABD

This was a cool and rare thing for me, and finally I was able to see and photograph an eagle that could actually be identified in the photo as more than a dust speck. Here's a closer look at the eagle:

original.jpg

Both shots taken with my Sony A6300 and FE70-300mm lens, and cropped quite a bit. Still, it's the closest I've ever gotten to an eagle down here in Florida.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, JUSTIN!

Great shot - and Dave, great comment!