Luggage Direct

Former Goalie

This is just our personal experience, others may have had a better outcome using Luggage Direct service.

We disembarked MS Eurodam yesterday, absolutely wonderful cruise, the staff ever so accommodating.

The night before disembarkation, we packed our bags, filled out and attached to our bags all the tags needed for Luggage Direct, and also attached the pre-populated tags for airline transfer back to our home airport, Baltimore. Placed said bags outside the stateroom door at 10 PM.

As part of the Luggage Direct service, we were given two bar coded boarding passes for our MIA-BWI flight. These would get us through TSA and onto our plane.

Cost for Luggage Direct is $19.95 pp.

I wasn't particularly thrilled to learn we would be one of the earliest groups called for disembarkation, that's the way it works with Luggage Direct. I hoped to have a leisurely exit from the ship, our flight not leaving MIA until after 2 PM.

We faithfully queue up for TSA checkpoint, arrived to have our boarding passes scanned, and were informed that they wouldn't scan. The bar codes were faulty. We had to queue backwards through the line, go to a ticket counter to get new, functional boarding passes. Then we had to queue up (again) in the TSA line. We made it through this time OK, but getting through security took a lot longer than it should have.

Flight was OK, made it back to Baltimore, waited at the baggage carousel for our bags. Our bags were not on our flight. We had to file a lost baggage claim - which isn't all that seamless with Luggage Direct, as you aren't given any baggage claim checks with tracking numbers on the ship.

Our bags were delivered to our home early the next morning, which was great.

I called HAL, and we will be provided a refund of $39.90, as this service certainly wasn't delivered as promised.

Bottom line, we will choose not to use this service again. And a heads up for others who are considering using this service.

Let me get this straight, you put your bags outside your cabin door, and you didn't have to lift, pull or touch them again until they were delivered to your home? And you are getting back all the money you paid for this service?

Where do I sign up for that??? :D

Sorry there was extra effort involved, and worry, too. But very happy it worked out well for you---and in a timely fashion.

If they would promise me it would work out that exact same way, I would use Luggage Direct every time.

I sure think the OP did not get what s/he paid for! Having to queue up twice at the TSA checkpoint is not my idea of fun or convenience, not to mention the other issues. Glad you are getting your money back.

Let me get this straight, you put your bags outside your cabin door, and you didn't have to lift, pull or touch them again until they were delivered to your home? And you are getting back all the money you paid for this service?

Where do I sign up for that??? :D

Sorry there was extra effort involved, and worry, too. But very happy it worked out well for you---and in a timely fashion.

If they would promise me it would work out that exact same way, I would use Luggage Direct every time.

We were supposed to be able to go through airport security with the boarding passes we were given on the ship, that didn't happen. Our bags were supposed to accompany us in the hold of our plane, and be on the baggage carousel at our destination airport. That didn't happen, either. It did not work out well (or, as advertised), nor in a timely fashion. Receiving our bags nine hours after we were supposed to is not timely.

Yes, HAL made good by not charging us. I would have been disappointed if they had done otherwise, whether it was HAL's fault, Luggage Direct's fault, or the airline's fault.

I've also had a very poor experience with Luggage Direct (a suitcase wasn't sent to the airport and was picked up by the porter used by the last disembarking passengers - off with them it went). Even though we did eventually get the suitcase back, it was a major PITA and a very poor way to end a cruise. We don't foresee ever using Luggage Direct again. For us getting the fee returned sure didn't make the stress worthwhile. :mad:

We had the same issue in January at FLL, with the boarding passes that were printed by HAL, in connection with the Luggage Direct Program. We were allowed through security even though the agent could not scan them as he seemed to be familiar with the problem. However, we didn't realize then what the problem was as he didn't tell us - he just allowed us through and so we thought it had to do with the device he was using.

As we were boarding our Southwest flight, the Boarding Passes would not scan there either and we were redirected to their gate agent to have them reprinted. It was annoying to have that happen after waiting for hours to board our flight, having left the ship so early, as required if you are using Luggage Direct. Had we realize what the problem was, we'd have had plenty of time to simply have them reprinted.

I mentioned this issue in a post after we returned home, but I'm sure it was easy to miss if you were not specifically searching for Luggage Direct information on this CC Board/Forum.

I would still use Luggage Direct in the future, but would turn the boarding passes in at the airport and have them reprinted before approaching security. I don't know why the boarding passes won't scan and it is a pain to find out as you are boarding your flight, or after you've waited in a long security line as the OP experienced.

If our luggage was not on the carousel when we arrived at our home airport, I'm not so sure I'd still want to use the Program again either - even if our bags were delivered to our home the next day. So far, we are 3 for 3 with our luggage showing up as it should.

We have used Luggage Direct since we found out about them many cruises ago. Never had an issue. Maybe we were just lucky. We will use them coming home on our Maasdam cruise next week. Of course if our bags were lost we would not be too happy. But that's why we buy insurance.

Dan

We were supposed to be able to go through airport security with the boarding passes we were given on the ship, that didn't happen. Our bags were supposed to accompany us in the hold of our plane, and be on the baggage carousel at our destination airport. That didn't happen, either. It did not work out well (or, as advertised), nor in a timely fashion. Receiving our bags nine hours after we were supposed to is not timely.

Yes, HAL made good by not charging us. I would have been disappointed if they had done otherwise, whether it was HAL's fault, Luggage Direct's fault, or the airline's fault.

When I've used Luggage Direct I have always ended up getting an airline issued boarding pass at the airport. Can't remember how that happened.

More than once I've not had my luggage arrive home with me on the same plane. It has been delivered to me either late the next morning, or as late as the next afternoon.

So long as my bags aren't lost, and are delivered home within a day or two, I think it's great. I love that I don't have to drag them, or get them in the house myself.

I wouldn't see this as any different. I wouldn't be as pleased if my luggage was lost on the way to the cruise, but coming home? Works for me!

Obviously, not for you, for which I already expressed my sympathies.

When I've used Luggage Direct I have always ended up getting an airline issued boarding pass at the airport. Can't remember how that happened.

More than once I've not had my luggage arrive home with me on the same plane. It has been delivered to me either late the next morning, or as late as the next afternoon.

So long as my bags aren't lost, and are delivered home within a day or two, I think it's great. I love that I don't have to drag them, or get them in the house myself.

I wouldn't see this as any different. I wouldn't be as pleased if my luggage was lost on the way to the cruise, but coming home? Works for me!

Obviously, not for you, for which I already expressed my sympathies.

I am not looking for sympathy. I am attempting to relate my experience, maybe that would factor into the decisions of others in the future. I appreciate that HAL waived the fee, which they should have. I appreciate that yes, the luggage finally arrived at our home.

That takes nothing away from the fact that the luggage did not show up where it was promised, and not in a timely manner.

Following is a verbatim quote from the HAL web site, "About Luggage Direct."

"All you need to do is tag your bags and leave them outside your stateroom door. We'll take care of the rest. Your luggage will be waiting for you at baggage claim of your final destination airport. All for only $19.95 per person."

Not to mention a goodly amount of time spent in lines, as I mentioned, due to improper ticketing on the ship.

This was not the seamless time saver it was sold to be. Whether it was getting the luggage to the cruise ship, or from the cruise ship to the destination airport is irrelevant, it's all about fulfilling what was promised.

Edited by Former Goalie

I very much appreciate your post about Luggage Direct. I plan on using it next month out of FLL. But I will now go to outside check-in at SW and get a 'real' boarding pass. As far as my luggage not being on the same plane...I'm like Ruth C. I'd love to have it delivered to my house! (not making light of your unhappiness with the situation)

We have used Luggage Direct on at least a dozen cruises since the service was introduced at HAL and never have we encountered any problems or delays experienced by OP. Color us totally satisfied LD customers.

Edited by avian777

I very much appreciate your post about Luggage Direct. I plan on using it next month out of FLL. But I will now go to outside check-in at SW and get a 'real' boarding pass. As far as my luggage not being on the same plane...I'm like Ruth C. I'd love to have it delivered to my house! (not making light of your unhappiness with the situation)

You don't even need to see anyone to get another pass, just go to an automated kiosk, enter your confirmation number, print your new pass. No standing in line. No wait. No hassle.

We have used Luggage Direct on at least a dozen cruises since the service was introduced at HAL and never have we encountered any problems or delays experienced by OP. Color us totally satisfied LD customers.

We used it once before, this time for a departure from FLL, disembarking the ship in Port Everglades. Worked fine then.

I guess we just drew the short straw, of course there will always be some times the system fails.

I still won't use it again. I don't like having to be one of the first groups off the ship. Otherwise, we could have disembarked any time up until 10 AM.

I also think the service should provide claim tags with tracking numbers for the luggage. None were provided disembarking Eurodam.

I have just used Luggage Direct with HAL and EZ Check previously with Princess more than once. OP, the boarding passes never work at TSA, but it's easy enough to visit the kiosk.

Yesterday, Luggage Direct was working fine for us (it seemed) and then our flight was cancelled. We only found that out when we went to print new boarding passes for TSA. Our luggage actually arrived at our home airport on the flight before ours (a rescheduled one) and we had to go to Baggage Claim Service to find it.

So, there were some 'added wrinkles' from the airline, but we left the ship without our luggage and were reunited with it after our flight, so it was still a convenient success.

A further note: DH and I spent a long time at FLL airport yesterday, quietly sitting, reading, talking, drinking coffee...Considering the horrors in Belgium earlier today, I am grateful that we were able to spend that time safely and securely, and that we are back at home today.

:D

Our boarding passes that HAL printed for us worked just fine on our first two experiences using Luggage Direct with HAL, and flying on Southwest home from FLL. I have no idea why they could not be scanned this last time, but will make sure that I print new ones at the airport in the future, before we approach security.

You don't even need to see anyone to get another pass, just go to an automated kiosk, enter your confirmation number, print your new pass. No standing in line. No wait. No hassle.

DUH!! Now why didn't I think of that!! Thanks sppunk!!:):)

Agreed...with Luggage Direct, on Southwest, we were given "boarding passes" by HAL that were not REAL Boarding Passes...just receipts (they looked like real ones). We needed to get the REAL BPs from the kiosk or agent before going through TSA. The HAL Boarding receipts did NOT indicate we were Pre-approved TSA either...so make sure you check that when you get your new BPs. Otherwise, use your own reservation number to retrieve your real BP.

Our bags were on the carousel fine when we got to our home airport...no problems.

We just got off the Eurodam on Sunday (14 day W-E Caribbean), and used Luggage Direct...the boarding passes worked extremely well, with no trouble in scanning. The tracking numbers for the tags were absolutely written on the top portion of the paper (above the boarding passes)...I would not have used the service if I couldn't have the bags tracked. The airline printed another boarding pass for us as we were getting on the plane....only because there was no stub for our seat assignment. We will use this service again, because it worked like a dream for us, and no dragging of bags! After a fantastic cruise, this service gives you a chance to skip, hop and jump your way home!

We just got off the Eurodam on Sunday (14 day W-E Caribbean)' date=' and used Luggage Direct...the boarding passes worked extremely well, with no trouble in scanning. The tracking numbers for the tags were absolutely written on the top portion of the paper (above the boarding passes)...I would not have used the service if I couldn't have the bags tracked. The airline printed another boarding pass for us as we were getting on the plane....only because there was no stub for our seat assignment. We will use this service again, because it worked like a dream for us, and no dragging of bags! After a fantastic cruise, this service gives you a chance to skip, hop and jump your way home![/quote']

I'm glad the service worked for you. As I said, we are the exception, not the rule.

We would not use this service again, had a much different experience than you.

Has anyone with Global Entry used Luggage Direct and received TSA PreCheck?

I do not have Global Entry but used luggage direct off the Zuiderdam yesterday and it was noted on my Southwest Boarding pass that I had it. I did not have it on way down.

We used it once before, this time for a departure from FLL, disembarking the ship in Port Everglades. Worked fine then.

I guess we just drew the short straw, of course there will always be some times the system fails.

I still won't use it again. I don't like having to be one of the first groups off the ship. Otherwise, we could have disembarked any time up until 10 AM.

I also think the service should provide claim tags with tracking numbers for the luggage. None were provided disembarking Eurodam.

Tracking numbers for the bags were printed on my boarding pass the ship gave me. They were not the usual stickers, but they could track if needed.

Has anyone with Global Entry used Luggage Direct and received TSA PreCheck?

We've used Luggage Direct for several cruises and we have Global Entry. We do always check-in online on Southwest via our iphones or computer to ensure that our TSA pre-check is on the boarding, and then print out a new boarding pass at the airport Kiosk.

(We've always gotten pre-check but it doesn't show on the boarding passes from Luggage Direct.)

We've used Luggage Direct for several cruises and we have Global Entry. We do always check-in online on Southwest via our iphones or computer to ensure that our TSA pre-check is on the boarding, and then print out a new boarding pass at the airport Kiosk.

(We've always gotten pre-check but it doesn't show on the boarding passes from Luggage Direct.)

Perfect, this is exactly what we'd do too. I'll just throw away whatever pass I'd get from Luggage Direct (minus the baggage tracking info of course). :)