Ordering bottled liquor prior to embarkation ?

joybaby

Does HAL still allow you to purchase bottled liquor delivered to your cabin prior to day of sailing?

Do they allow you to take 2 750 ml of wine in carry on?

Thanks in advance.

Joybaby

Does HAL still allow you to purchase bottled liquor delivered to your cabin prior to day of sailing?

Do they allow you to take 2 750 ml of wine in carry on?

Thanks in advance.

Joybaby

Yes to both.

Here is the list of choices that I obtained from the HAL website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

Looking at the list of what is available I am surprised there is no Brandy selection available. I would rather not pay twice as much (or more) for Cognac than regular Brandy. Just a plain E & J or Paul Mason would be fine and in-line price wise with the other regular liquors. We like a Brandy nightcap in the cabin after preparing for bed so don't want room service. Watch a little TV, unwind from the day.

No Brandy for bottle purchase? :(

Looking at the list of what is available I am surprised there is no Brandy selection available. I would rather not pay twice as much (or more) for Cognac than regular Brandy. Just a plain E & J or Paul Mason would be fine and in-line price wise with the other regular liquors. We like a Brandy nightcap in the cabin after preparing for bed so don't want room service. Watch a little TV, unwind from the day.

You can call Room Service and see if they will sell you a bottle of what you want. Some ships will be glad to sell you a bottle that is not on the HAL's site list.

In my experience, you can usually buy most things on the bar list once you get on the ship. There are some exceptions, particularly if what you want is a low stock item, but you should be okay otherwise. We've ordered Cognac without a hitch. What do you have in mind?

The RogerJett bar menu does not even list any Brandy. The section for Brandy, Armagnac, and Cognac is one Armagnac and the rest all Cognac. What I'm looking for is not to spend over $100 for Cognac when Brandy should be available in the $40-something range like the other liquors.

If I order a bottle (if they have it) on the ship after leaving WA state there would be no sales or WA state liquor tax? Since moving back to WA I've been shocked to have $19 bottle of bourbon ring up as $30.

The RogerJett bar menu does not even list any Brandy. The section for Brandy, Armagnac, and Cognac is one Armagnac and the rest all Cognac. What I'm looking for is not to spend over $100 for Cognac when Brandy should be available in the $40-something range like the other liquors.

If I order a bottle (if they have it) on the ship after leaving WA state there would be no sales or WA state liquor tax? Since moving back to WA I've been shocked to have $19 bottle of bourbon ring up as $30.

Once you are in International Waters there is no tax charged. We typically order for embarkation day with "delivery at sea" when we are leaving from a port where there is tax and no tax is charged ;)

Can anyone enlighten me on what bourbons they offer and the approximate cost? We will be doing a 7 day Alaska cruise this September....thanks

Yes, there are 2 bourbons on the HAL website.

Can anyone enlighten me on what bourbons they offer and the approximate cost? We will be doing a 7 day Alaska cruise this September....thanks

If you're booked just login and you can see what's orderable.

I recall Segrams 7 and VO as options, and we got the VO for something like $35 for the liter bottle. Brought our own 12 pack of cokes aboard and kept them in the in-room fridge. (our steward cheerfully cleared out all the minibar items at our request)

Yes, there are 2 bourbons on the HAL website.

sorry - Jack Daniels is $61 & change and Jim Beam is $38 & change.

Minor subtlety but Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey not Bourbon. Some people can tell the difference but after the 1st one probably not so much. ;)

Oh sorry, just reporting what HAL had when I checked. They called it bourbon. Apologies - I am not a bourbon drinker nor connoisseur ;):p

Minor subtlety but Jack Daniels is Tennessee Whiskey not Bourbon. Some people can tell the difference but after the 1st one probably not so much. ;)

Legally it can't be called bourbon, but - from a recipe point of view - it is bourbon. Just as much as Illinois, Virginia and Maryland "bourbons".