Beach in Isla Verde neighborhood

mlbcruiser

I believe that is “Carolina Beach.” Not sure if the shape it’s in, but when we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde a few years ago, we walked to a beach that was about 2 blocks from the hotel and it was Carolina. I’m not sure if there’s another beach you’re thinking of, but you can read Trip Advisor to see if there’s recent reviews of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just returned from there and the beach is in pristine condition. You can see signs of hurricane damage on buildings in the neighbourhood (e.g., boarded over windows) but nothing that would inconvenience a visitor. Shops are open, debris is cleaned up, water, electricity and even cable/internet were working in the building I was in - and it appeared to be the same all around.

Is it an easy cab ride from the cruise port (in OSJ) to Isla Verde? Do we tell the driver to stop at a certain hotel in order to get to the part of the beach with chairs available? Thanks for any information!

Nice photo!

Perhaps someone else can answer the question about a good access location for this beach. We found it just by walking down the street when I had taken some clothing to a laundromat nearby. (We were staying at a B&B in the area.)

There is a good side street thet reaches the beach just beside the Intercontinental Hotel. There is also a public beach with parking just to the east of the Courtyard Marriott. I was on the beach at various times between Jan 20 and yesterday - Jan 23, and it's in good shape, though many palm trees are a little thin on top.

The official Beach Patrol who ride up and down on ATV vehicles are a bunch of corrupt bullies who march into the Courtyard Marriott about four or five times daily and get free food and drink from the Banana Juice Bar - pushing their way ahead of paying guests and treating the servers with disrespect and outright arrogance. I complained at the desk several times and was told nothing could be done because they were "government". My TripAdvisor review will have more to say on the matter.

The signature Hilton El San Juan is totally closed as well as the Ritz-Carlton and the Embassy Suites. The Verdanza is only being used by FEMA. Yesterday morning early I was the only person on the Isla Verde Beach at about 9 am - I'm talking quarter mile in both directions. Saturday and Sunday were busy with all the Puerto Rican families on the beach. Monday was semi-busy probably because of the government shutdown.

The taxi cabs are plentiful and the T5 bus along Ashford Drive and Isla Verde still busy. I used the bus twice to get to OSJ - it's .35 cents exact change and bounces along the route about every 20 minutes.

We actually stayed at the Intercontinental about four years ago and it was a very nice hotel with a friendly staff. Yet we also really liked the section of Isla Verde beach that was boardered by homes and a few small inns that was away from the hotels. That was the area of beach we found by accident while waiting for our laundry to dry at a nearby laundromat near our inn several years before. Thanks for the recent update.

There is a good side street thet reaches the beach just beside the Intercontinental Hotel. There is also a public beach with parking just to the east of the Courtyard Marriott. I was on the beach at various times between Jan 20 and yesterday - Jan 23, and it's in good shape, though many palm trees are a little thin on top.

The official Beach Patrol who ride up and down on ATV vehicles are a bunch of corrupt bullies who march into the Courtyard Marriott about four or five times daily and get free food and drink from the Banana Juice Bar - pushing their way ahead of paying guests and treating the servers with disrespect and outright arrogance. I complained at the desk several times and was told nothing could be done because they were "government". My TripAdvisor review will have more to say on the matter.

The signature Hilton El San Juan is totally closed as well as the Ritz-Carlton and the Embassy Suites. The Verdanza is only being used by FEMA. Yesterday morning early I was the only person on the Isla Verde Beach at about 9 am - I'm talking quarter mile in both directions. Saturday and Sunday were busy with all the Puerto Rican families on the beach. Monday was semi-busy probably because of the government shutdown.

The taxi cabs are plentiful and the T5 bus along Ashford Drive and Isla Verde still busy. I used the bus twice to get to OSJ - it's .35 cents exact change and bounces along the route about every 20 minutes.

Fred & Lily, We are staying at Courtyeard Marriott 2 nights pre cruise. Do you have a review somewhere on the property and surrounding area, Rest's, bars, stores, etc? TIA

I've left reviews in TripAdvisor under the name Fred. The Courtyard Marriott is a lovely hotel / beach resort. It's only drawback is the rather long walk going west past the Ritz-Carlton and various condos to get to the interesting restaurants which start approximately opposite the Hampton Suites. The neighborhood is safe and I had no problem walking alone at 4 am to the Denny's for a snack. It is a bit pricey but we've used it pre-cruise and post-cruise several times. I actually prefer the Emabssy Suites but it's closed right now also the other Marriott (Stellaris) on Condado is a bit livelier but Courtyard Marriott on Isla Verde is generally excellent.

3cc43c675870a541c48c90dac556a7a4.jpg

Christmas Eve photo

Beach is busy and still gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is this at? I know Isle Verde pretty well, but not sure where this is. We are going to be in San Juan on Oasis in April for a short day and want to head to the beach in Isle Verde to relax. We have to be able to rent lounger/umbrella. Can you provide any information? Thanks

If anyone is on a ship that docks in the morning and leaves mid afternoon, do yourself a favor if you're going to the Isla Verde area and look up the Bistro Cafe Isla Verde. Go there, get breakfast, and thank me later. :) Then go to the beach.

Fred & Lily,, Are there stores, restaurants walking distance of Isla Verde Courtyard Marriott? TYI

Fred & Lily,, Are there stores, restaurants walking distance of Isla Verde Courtyard Marriott? TYI

The Courtyard is kind of at the "end" of the Isla Verde area, but it's only about a 10 minute walk to the west to get to a lot of businesses and restaurants. Google Maps works quite well for exploring the area to see what's around before you go.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Courtyard+by+Marriott+Isla+Verde+Beach+Resort/@18.4430403,-66.0118572,620m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m21!1m15!4m14!1m6!1m2!1s0x8c0365d0603143ab:0x2f759f49627ee0e!2sCourtyard+by+Marriott+Isla+Verde+Beach+Resort,+7012+Carr.+Boca+De+Cangrejos,+Carolina,+00979,+Puerto+Rico!2m2!1d-66.009442!2d18.443617!1m6!1m2!1s0x8c0365dbdcb36f27:0x294ae2dbf714bf8c!2sDenny's!2m2!1d-66.0148233!2d18.4422452!3m4!1s0x8c0365d0603143ab:0x2f759f49627ee0e!8m2!3d18.443617!4d-66.009442

Where is this at? I know Isle Verde pretty well, but not sure where this is. We are going to be in San Juan on Oasis in April for a short day and want to head to the beach in Isle Verde to relax. We have to be able to rent lounger/umbrella. Can you provide any information? Thanks

I didn't post the picture but I sure love it! It looks like it could possibly be in the area of Isla Verde Beach in front of/near the Intercontinental San Juan, possibly the San Juan Water and Beach Club hotel, which is just to the west of the Intercontinental. I notice the "ESJ" Building on the right in the picture and if facing the water, the "ESJ" is just to the right (east) of the Intercontinental.

Apologies in advance, but I'm not able to help you with your question about where to rent loungers/umbrella, sorry. :( The two times we've been there we've stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott - Isla Verde one night before our two cruises from San Juan, so we used the loungers/umbrellas they provide for hotel guests. I don't know if they or any of the other hotels offer a "day pass", but something to possibly check into.

Edited by pghsteelerfan
Editing becuase of that spacing issue (triple instead of double) between paragraphs again...