Caribbean Princess photo review 2018 : Suite and sour

scubacruiserx2

That is more than what I did when in South Africa and went into the cage with 11 different great whites swimming all around. At least this didn't happen

Mic, that shark cage dive you did is a bucket list item for me. I don't know if I will manage to make it happen before I get too old to care, but no dangerous looking shark cage video or Shark Week show will be scare me off!

Mic, that shark cage dive you did is a bucket list item for me. I don't know if I will manage to make it happen before I get too old to care, but no dangerous looking shark cage video or Shark Week show will be scare me off!

We didn't have scuba or even snorkels when we did it just the cage nearly completely submerged. About 18 people on the boa with 6 people in the cage at a time. You get to be in the cage for around 10-15 minutes per go, for two turns. You have your head above water and then they yell down and you stay under as long as possible to see the sharks right by the cage. The first time most people manage around 10 seconds under due to the adrenalin, subsequent goes you manage to stay under for longer. The water is cool 12 degrees Celsius but they do provide wet suits. Some people do not want second goes so you can jump in their place, I went in 4 times. It was awesome, most sharks were around 3 or 4 metres but one mother was close to 5.5m and pregnant, she was huge.

Sharks do scare Pat and kept her from diving for many years . We prefer the docile Nurse sharks that we saw taking a break after a busy day .

CozumelNov235_zpse9177629.jpg

CozumelNov220-001_zps8330785b.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We didn't have scuba or even snorkels when we did it just the cage nearly completely submerged. About 18 people on the boa with 6 people in the cage at a time. You get to be in the cage for around 10-15 minutes per go, for two turns. You have your head above water and then they yell down and you stay under as long as possible to see the sharks right by the cage. The first time most people manage around 10 seconds under due to the adrenalin, subsequent goes you manage to stay under for longer. The water is cool 12 degrees Celsius but they do provide wet suits. Some people do not want second goes so you can jump in their place, I went in 4 times. It was awesome, most sharks were around 3 or 4 metres but one mother was close to 5.5m and pregnant, she was huge.

On this cruise they offered a similar dive which we had done in the past . It's with Whale Sharks - the world's largest fish . 2 snorkelers at a time with a guide and you wait your turn . No cage .

PICT0311-001_zpsh2bmf5ct.jpg

In the video clips the first one is filter feeding about 6 meters

The 2nd Whale Shark is about 10 meters with the tail 2 meters tall .

We also saw several manta rays in the 3-5 meter range . You can see the DM's fin in the video clip video clip.

On this cruise they offered a similar dive which we had done in the past . It's with Whale Sharks - the world's largest fish . 2 snorkelers at a time with a guide and you wait your turn . No cage .

PICT0311-001_zpsh2bmf5ct.jpg

In the video clips the first one is filter feeding about 6 meters

The 2nd Whale Shark is about 10 meters with the tail 2 meters tall .

We also saw several manta rays in the 3-5 meter range . You can see the DM's fin in the video clip video clip.

Another bucket list item for me! I'm sitting here eating my heart out right now! One of these days I'm going to get smart enough to book a trip that puts me in the right place at the right time to see whale sharks. I know they're wild animals and as such don't follow any planned human schedule, but there are times during the year when they can usually be found in certain places. I need to take that into account when planning my trips!

I would love to snorkel with a whale shark, just not too close.

They are pretty docile but their mass makes them very strong . Mike is big but when he got kicked by a 6 foot tall - he felt it ! Here's a nice video with some divers interacting .

That is so cool, here in Australia you are not allowed to scuba with Whale sharks but snorkelling is okay

It's the same here and in Mexico where we snorkeled with them unless you randomly came upon them while SCUBA diving as in the video which was shot in the Maldives. The most interesting critter that I have seen was in Palm Beach , Florida and is the Mola Mola . I didn't have a camera but here is a photo from National Geographic .

1563025e-1c35-471e-a0c0-4b23a471df46_zpsqdxpspzn.jpg

Another bucket list item for me! I'm sitting here eating my heart out right now! One of these days I'm going to get smart enough to book a trip that puts me in the right place at the right time to see whale sharks. I know they're wild animals and as such don't follow any planned human schedule, but there are times during the year when they can usually be found in certain places. I need to take that into account when planning my trips!

Princess offered a day trip to see the Whale Sharks when in port at Cozumel .

WHALE SHARK ENCOUNTER

CZM-765 | COZUMEL, MEXICO | SEE SPECIAL NOTES

Min. age (years): 8 | Medical restriction (See special notes)

Print Share

from $179.95*

ALREADY BOOKED YOUR CRUISE?

Visit Cruise Personalizer to reserve excursions

*Price displayed in US Dollars unless otherwise noted; excursions priced in other currencies may be available on select voyages only. Prices are based on the amount Princess typically charges for each excursion, but your price may vary by voyage date and departure time.

TOUR AT A GLANCE

You will visit:

• 6_15.gif Snorkeling & Diving
  • 8_15.gif Boating Adventure

You will see:

• Cozumel's marine life and nutrient-rich waters

Excursion Length:

Approx. 8 hours

TOUR OVERVIEW

What you will visit:

Whale Shark Encounter

Whale sharks are quite common in the Caribbean Sea off of Cancun due to the rich supply of plankton, krill and small fish. Don a mask, fins and snorkel and enter the waters for a rare opportunity to swim with these gentle giants. Whale sharks are the world's largest species of fish. They can reach lengths of nearly 40 feet and can weigh as much as 79,000 pounds. Don't let its massive size fool you; the whale shark is docile and will swim alongside you for spectacular, up-close views. Bring your underwater camera.

What you will see along the way:

Above the water's surface, you'll enjoy views from the private tender as you cruise to the mainland of Mexico, then gaze out the window on the motorcoach ride to Cancun. Once in the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea where the whale sharks have been congregating in the largest numbers anywhere on the planet, you'll witness not only their regal beauty but also the spectacular underwater world in which they dwell.

Lunch:

A light boxed lunch refreshes during your day. A sample menu includes a ham and cheese sandwich, fresh fruit, soft drinks and water. All special dietary requests and vegetarian options must be requested at least 48 hours in advance.

Close

CZM_765_1.jpgCZM_765_1.jpgimage_not_available.gifimage_not_available.gif

DETAILED ITINERARY

Show All Itinerary Details

Ferry ride to mainland

Disembark, meet guides and boarding vans

Transfer by van to V&V in Cancun

Disembark vans and board boats

Boat ride to Whale Sharks

Swim with Whale Shark

Boat ride back to port

Disembark boats and board vans

Transfer by van back to Playa del Carmen

Disembark vans and board tender to Cozumel

Ferry ride to Mainland

Tour timeline may vary to avoid overcrowding, etc.

SPECIAL NOTES

Minimum age to participate is 8 years old. Maximum weight allowed is 250 lbs. Whale Sharks are in their natural environment and the encounter cannot be guaranteed. Due to local regulations, if there are 5 or less Whale Sharks in the area, then no one is permitted to enter the water. Please wear a swimsuit under dry clothes, biodegradable only sunblock, hat and sunglasses. You must be able swim to participate.

Medical Restriction:

Pregnant women, guests with heart/respiratory conditions that could cause loss of consciousness, neck and or back injuries that would prevent swimming.

Number of Steps/Walking Distance:

See detailed itinerary for information about walking distanceWheelchair Accessibility:

See detailed itinerary for information about wheelchair accessibilityCamera/Video Restrictions:

See detailed itinerary for information about camera restrictions

The peak season is in Summer and that is when we went with Tyler a couple of years ago .

It's the same here and in Mexico where we snorkeled with them unless you randomly came upon them while SCUBA diving as in the video which was shot in the Maldives. The most interesting critter that I have seen was in Palm Beach , Florida and is the Mola Mola . I didn't have a camera but here is a photo from National Geographic .

What an interesting looking fish the "face" is almost human looking.....:eek::)

Sun fish, Moon fish, quite celestial.

Princess offered a day trip to see the Whale Sharks when in port at Cozumel .

WHALE SHARK ENCOUNTER

CZM-765 | COZUMEL, MEXICO | SEE SPECIAL NOTES

Min. age (years): 8 | Medical restriction (See special notes)

Print Share

from $179.95*

ALREADY BOOKED YOUR CRUISE?

Visit Cruise Personalizer to reserve excursions

*Price displayed in US Dollars unless otherwise noted; excursions priced in other currencies may be available on select voyages only. Prices are based on the amount Princess typically charges for each excursion, but your price may vary by voyage date and departure time.

TOUR AT A GLANCE

You will visit:

• 6_15.gif Snorkeling & Diving
  • 8_15.gif Boating Adventure

You will see:

• Cozumel's marine life and nutrient-rich waters

Excursion Length:

Approx. 8 hours

TOUR OVERVIEW

What you will visit:

Whale Shark Encounter

Whale sharks are quite common in the Caribbean Sea off of Cancun due to the rich supply of plankton, krill and small fish. Don a mask, fins and snorkel and enter the waters for a rare opportunity to swim with these gentle giants. Whale sharks are the world's largest species of fish. They can reach lengths of nearly 40 feet and can weigh as much as 79,000 pounds. Don't let its massive size fool you; the whale shark is docile and will swim alongside you for spectacular, up-close views. Bring your underwater camera.

What you will see along the way:

Above the water's surface, you'll enjoy views from the private tender as you cruise to the mainland of Mexico, then gaze out the window on the motorcoach ride to Cancun. Once in the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea where the whale sharks have been congregating in the largest numbers anywhere on the planet, you'll witness not only their regal beauty but also the spectacular underwater world in which they dwell.

Lunch:

A light boxed lunch refreshes during your day. A sample menu includes a ham and cheese sandwich, fresh fruit, soft drinks and water. All special dietary requests and vegetarian options must be requested at least 48 hours in advance.

Close

DETAILED ITINERARY

Show All Itinerary Details

Ferry ride to mainland

Disembark, meet guides and boarding vans

Transfer by van to V&V in Cancun

Disembark vans and board boats

Boat ride to Whale Sharks

Swim with Whale Shark

Boat ride back to port

Disembark boats and board vans

Transfer by van back to Playa del Carmen

Disembark vans and board tender to Cozumel

Ferry ride to Mainland

Tour timeline may vary to avoid overcrowding, etc.

SPECIAL NOTES

Minimum age to participate is 8 years old. Maximum weight allowed is 250 lbs. Whale Sharks are in their natural environment and the encounter cannot be guaranteed. Due to local regulations, if there are 5 or less Whale Sharks in the area, then no one is permitted to enter the water. Please wear a swimsuit under dry clothes, biodegradable only sunblock, hat and sunglasses. You must be able swim to participate.

Medical Restriction:

Pregnant women, guests with heart/respiratory conditions that could cause loss of consciousness, neck and or back injuries that would prevent swimming.

Number of Steps/Walking Distance:

See detailed itinerary for information about walking distanceWheelchair Accessibility:

See detailed itinerary for information about wheelchair accessibilityCamera/Video Restrictions:

See detailed itinerary for information about camera restrictions

The peak season is in Summer and that is when we went with Tyler a couple of years ago .

I have tried to book that excursion several times, only to have it cancelled or removed from the list of excursions being offered before I could get it booked. My research into why that happened always yielded the same answer - that the whale sharks were already gone for the season, or they had not arrived yet. :( I haven't been there at the right time - yet. We may have to plan a cruise during the summer. :D

I have tried to book that excursion several times, only to have it cancelled or removed from the list of excursions being offered before I could get it booked. My research into why that happened always yielded the same answer - that the whale sharks were already gone for the season, or they had not arrived yet. :( I haven't been there at the right time - yet. We may have to plan a cruise during the summer. :D

Sorry about that . We were staying in Cozumel in July- August with Tyler when we saw them which is peak time . If we did it again we would stay in Cancun a night instead of making the day long round trip from Cozumel . :cool:

Sorry about that . We were staying in Cozumel in July- August with Tyler when we saw them which is peak time . If we did it again we would stay in Cancun a night instead of making the day long round trip from Cozumel . :cool:

Yes, I think a stay in Cancun would be a really good idea when I decide to swim whit those whale sharks!

I did a little research today to see if there was any possible way I could book a whale shark swim privately when we are in Cozumel on Oasis this September. The whale shark season ends in mid September, so there is a really good chance the whale sharks would be gone by the time we get there, same as on our previous stops in Cozumel. Also we would have to take the 5:45 AM ferry from Coz to the mainland,. No chance we would be in port that early! Even if I could arrange an excursion, I'd be concerned that given the distance we would have to travel that we wouldn't make it back to the ship on time. Missing our ship is NEVER part of my plan! Definitely not the kind of thrill I'm seeking!

We have friends who go frequently to an all inclusive resort in Cancun. They have been trying to talk us into going with them at some point. The next time the subject comes up, I just may have to take them up on that offer. :DThe only problem is, even in my wildest dreams I can not see either of them ever wanting to swim with whale sharks! :eek: