Making phone calls on a Transatlantic Crossing

Jacqueline

I am trying to sort out the best way to keep in touch. We will be on a 16 day round trip. My cell phone carrier does not have any information.

What does Cunard charge? What do those with experience recommend ?

It's very expensive - more than any cellphone rate I've seen. Like ten dollars per minute.

If you don't mind - who is your cellphone carrier? Is it a prepaid or postpaid account?

For routine keeping in touch, text messages are probably best if you haven't cruised on Cunard enough to get a free bucket of internet minutes (Gold level - beginning with the third cruise). On most carriers with which I'm familiar, receiving texts comes out of your regular text plan's allotment so probably they're free, and sending text is around 50 cents.

Edited by Underwatr

Sorry, I meant to say, ATT is my carrier. My daughter has Verizon . Our menfolk like us to check in. This is my first trip on Cunard since 1985!

I will need to get a wifi package, as well.

I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Jacqueline, you might find this helpful:

"Q. How do I contact friends or family on board?" Long answer here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/contact_family

"Q. Can I use my mobile phone whilst on board?" Answer https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/mobile_onboard

"Q. How much does it cost to call ashore from the ship?

You can direct-dial ashore worldwide from your stateroom.

Phone calls are charged $4.95 per minute due to being a connection through the ship's satellite phone and will be charged to your on board account only (subject to change).

Should you have difficulties, staff in the Business Centre will be happy to assist you."

-S.

Thank you, Salacia! I seems like mobile phone will work going through the ships carrier. I wasn't able to get this confirmed by my carrier, AT&T. If anyone has any specific info that would be great. I do have a GSM phone.

I know that it is possible, if a good signal exists, to use WIFI for Skype or FaceTime, but I have been lead to understand that this is not a reasonable expectation to have onboard, as quite a bit of bandwidth is required. Usually when I travel, this is my preferred mode of callimg home , second to using a local SIM card.

If you buy a wi-Fi package and have iPad or iPhones, you may find FaceTime a good way to keep in touch. We find that Skype often freezes and can be frustrating. All part of slow maritime communications I am afraid!

I am trying to sort out the best way to keep in touch. We will be on a 16 day round trip. My cell phone carrier does not have any information.

What does Cunard charge? What do those with experience recommend ?

I usually purchase a separate Sim Card with a "loaded" amount of credit (I actually get an International SIM so I get both a UK and US number) In this way you know how much you have spent and have better control of the costs.

I think you may have problems with Skype on the ship's internet - the band width is usually insufficient.

Yes, David. I am not looking to use wifi to call. I should have been more specific when asking my question. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't block skype. I know airplanes with wifi block apps that are bandwidth hogs.

Edited by Jacqueline

I thought Carnival Corp were rolling out an improved, faster internet service across their brands this year. Does anyone know if Cunard are scheduled for this and what it may mean in terms of speed, bandwidth, cost, etc?

Jacqueline, you might find this helpful:

"Q. How do I contact friends or family on board?" Long answer here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/contact_family

"Q. Can I use my mobile phone whilst on board?" Answer https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/mobile_onboard

"Q. How much does it cost to call ashore from the ship?

You can direct-dial ashore worldwide from your stateroom.

Phone calls are charged $4.95 per minute due to being a connection through the ship's satellite phone and will be charged to your on board account only (subject to change).

Should you have difficulties, staff in the Business Centre will be happy to assist you."

-S.

Salacia

As usual, you give well substanced advice. You are on the "Mark" here.

One should call their carrier and purchase a cruise ship phone package . This may be best. :)

Isn't it people using Skype that causes everyone else's Internet use to slow down?

David.

no, that's not true. When one buys a wifi package , depending

On power, it should not interfer with other usage. There may be other factors ,

Like location, weather , or the system itself

But don't blame the people who pay for wifi and want to use it , and save extensive phone bills. The phone company savings plan is through WIFI!

Internet on a cruise ship was once explained to me as a water pipe of a certain size( depending on how much the line had spent). The pipe had a limited capacity and once the capacity was reached the flow slowed down. That's the reality. Of course Cunard could buy another pipe!!

I don't know what the effect would be if,say fifty passengers tried to use Skype at the same time but imagine it would not be a comfortable experience all round.

David.

AT&T does not offer any phone packages on Cunard, nor did they have any other helpful information on data roaming at sea... Such as cost per minute.

I knew about using wifi for calls as well, and use it often when I travel. I have heard that the speed isn't very good /signal strong,on the QM2 according to recent threads, so I am not counting on that being an option. Also, cabin location can be a factor with wifi and often the signal is best In a public place. I don't want to be speaking loudly into my phone, interfering with others' tranquility. Nor do I want to be having personal conversations within earshot of innocent bystanders !

My experience is that FaceTime / Skype need a good signal to work properly. Some applications DO use more data / bandwidth than others. That is why the airlines block apps that stream, for example.

I realize now, I should have posed my initial question more succinctly.. But I have gotten useful information and I appreciate the helpful comments and links to the cunard website.

AT&T does not offer any phone packages on Cunard, nor did they have any other helpful information on data roaming at sea... Such as cost per minute.
This AT&T page confirms that they don't have a roaming package for Cunard, but also it says that your rate for voice calls without a roaming package will be $2.50 per minute.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

But be very careful about data when roaming. $10 per megabyte gets very expensive very quickly. Know how to turn data roaming off.

Edited by Underwatr

You are so clever @underwatr! I missed that entirely and when I spoke to them on the phone, they couldn't tell me!

I can track my minutes..... Much thanks!

(I always have data roaming off on my phone and only turn it on in an emergency).

I used my Verizon phone last year on a TA crossing. It was $3.95/min. It worked great. There is a slight delay. You have to get used to waiting a bit or you'll both start talking over each other. As a joke we started staying "over" like we were on CB radios.