Buying alcohol at Southampton

fantasy51

My sister and brother-in-law will be taking their first Cunard cruises this June. They will stay in Southampton for a couple of days before their first cruise, then a little out of the main Southampton area for two days before their second cruise.

I have told them they can take alcohol on board. The question is, where is a good place to buy it that is close to the port? My suggestion was to drop off their luggage (taken there by transfer) and then look for somewhere close to buy alcohol (if they have not been near a supermarket in their days in Southampton).

Is there a bottle shop within walking distance of the port?

Diane

My sister and brother-in-law will be taking their first Cunard cruises this June. They will stay in Southampton for a couple of days before their first cruise, then a little out of the main Southampton area for two days before their second cruise.

I have told them they can take alcohol on board. The question is, where is a good place to buy it that is close to the port? My suggestion was to drop off their luggage (taken there by transfer) and then look for somewhere close to buy alcohol (if they have not been near a supermarket in their days in Southampton).

Diane

They can purchase a couple of bottles on the first cruise,and take them back on for their second cruise.😇

Diane

There are no Liquor shops in or fairly near the cruise terminals. There is a shopping mall Westquay: http://www.west-quay.co.uk - but its really a long walk, I would say at a fair pace about 30-40 minutes allowing for entering the largish mall - that's each way. Taking a taxi will make the 'cheap supermarket booze' far from cheap = it has to be asked "is it really worth it"? Bon voyage.

Thanks David and David for shopping suggestions. It sounds as though they need to look for a supermarket during their two days in Southampton, and definitely buy their full allowance duty free between Australia and the UK. That might be enough to get them to their first port.

Thanks Hamrag and Mal.

There are no Liquor shops in or fairly near the cruise terminals. There is a shopping mall Westquay: www.west-quay.co.uk - but its really a long walk, I would say at a fair pace about 30-40 minutes allowing for entering the largish mall - that's each way. Taking a taxi will make the 'cheap supermarket booze' far from cheap = it has to be asked "is it really worth it"? Bon voyage.

A couple of years ago we took a taxi from the Ocean Terminal to the Premier Inn, which is across the street from the Westquay. It cost about £5. At the moment there is no restriction on how many bottles passengers may bring on board, despite what it says on Cunard's on-line information. It has been reported that Holland America is now in charge of Cunard and P&O, so who knows what will happen in the future.

Two shops spring to mind the first being M&S and secondly Asda these are the largest stores in Southampton. Both sell wine and spirits but there are also smaller express size shops dotted around the city. So really it depends how mobile they are and how far they’re willing to walk.

I was going to suggest magestic wine as well. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Majestic+Wine+Southampton/@50.9067244,-1.413749,17z/data=!4m13!1m5!2m4!1swest+quay+UK!5m2!5m1!1s2018-04-02!3m6!1s0x487476bbb39231c1:0x10662c162075e10!5m1!1s2018-04-02!8m2!3d50.9064267!4d-1.4128529

Perhaps they could have a spare small wheeled bag to carry the items to the port. From that shop my memory is that the walk to the port is slightly downhill and if they are staying at one of the hotels near the port they could break the walk into two (from shop to hotel and from hotel to port) or have it delivered to the hotel

From that shop my memory is that the walk to the port is slightly downhill and if they are staying at one of the hotels near the port they could break the walk into two (from shop to hotel and from hotel to port) or have it delivered to the hotel

For £5 to the port an Uber was easier for me.