Cabotage rules and "missing" the ship?

When our ship calls at Malaga we would like to spend one night off the ship and then catch up with our cruise the following day in nearby Almeria, which is the next port on our itinerary. I'm wondering if deliberately "missing the ship" for the one night would violate any cabotage rules. This is an NCL ship beginning in Rome and ending in Barcelona. All the ports are in EU/Shengen nations if that matters. Anyone know?

There are cabotage rules in the EU, but they don't seem to be so oppressive as those in the US, and this is something folk do in Europe & elsewhere quite a lot.:)

In the distant past when we've played catch-up we've informed the ship (at guest relations so that security at the gangway don't think we've missed the sailing, our cabin steward so he/she isn't concerned about us, and dinner table-mates as a matter of courtesy).

Nowadays it just might be better to ask for permission from the cruise line in advance.

Before committing yourselves, do be aware of the risk that the ship might not make port.

If it fails to make port at Malaga (very unlikely) you will have wasted any money committed to hotel, car rental or whatever.

If it fails to make port at Almeria then it's gonna be more complicated & expensive :eek:

I don't know Almeria, but do check how reliable the port is. And have a Plan B to catch up at the following port in case the worst happens.

JB :)

Thanks so much JB. Your posts are always so knowledgeable! I will clear it with the cruise line beforehand but very glad to hear it's likely not the issue it can be here in the US where we might risk being fined. The port after Almeria is Valencia so it is rather an "ideal risk" in that respect. If the ship didn't make port in Almeria we could still easily catch up by train in Valencia. I've always had a yen to see the Alhambra in the moonlight and stay at the Parador there. It's a bucket list thing.

You don't say when your cruise is, but you do know that both entrance tickets to the Alhambra and a room in the Parador both need to be booked well in advance. The Parador at the Alhambra is the one most booked in the whole of Spain.

The best means of transport would be a hire car and there will be an extra charge to p/u in one city and drop off in another.

For a visit to appreciate the Alhambra you need a good half day and best to get there early in the morning.

If you can't get booked in the Parador, the Hotel Alhambra Palace is a good alternative and has a lovely terrace overlooking the old town. I've stayed at both, so can recommend.

I've not heard of cruise ships not being able to dock in Almeria.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are looking for a slightly quirky hotel then consider Hotel America, which is in the Alhambra Grounds and would be about one quarter the price of the Parador!

We have never stayed there, but have had lunch numerous times and always said that we would stay if we had a chance.

It just oozed atmosphere.

Thanks for both of the excellent hotel recommendations. I do already have a (refundable!) reservation at the Parador and I think Alhambra tickets are not sold until 3 months in advance so its a bit too early yet for those. I'll have to decide between car and bus since it appears the car rentals in both towns are at the train/bus stations. If I have to go to the bus station(s) anyway to pick up the car then it might be simpler to just take the bus since we won't need a car in Granada and would have to pay to park one. Thanks very much for everybody's helpful information. I can't imagine how people planned their travels before the internet!

Thanks for both of the excellent hotel recommendations. I do already have a (refundable!) reservation at the Parador and I think Alhambra tickets are not sold until 3 months in advance so its a bit too early yet for those. I'll have to decide between car and bus since it appears the car rentals in both towns are at the train/bus stations. If I have to go to the bus station(s) anyway to pick up the car then it might be simpler to just take the bus since we won't need a car in Granada and would have to pay to park one. Thanks very much for everybody's helpful information. I can't imagine how people planned their travels before the internet!

The bus station in Granada is on the outskirts of the city so you would need to take another bus or - much easier - a taxi up to your hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Update from the OP: I emailed Passenger Services at with this request and was informed by phone (in a quite unpleasant tone!) that this is against NCL's policy. When I asked to speak to someone who could further explain the rationale behind the policy (is it the port? the cruise line, a legal issue?) the girl became downright rude. Told me that it was just their policy, take it or leave it (I believe we'll be leaving it!) and that NCL is "not running a ferry service!" Wow - not a good way to talk to long-time customers about to (not!) spend thousands of dollars. Frankly, I was shocked by the attitude.

I would certainly pursue this to a higher level with NCL. Your plan is not in the least unreasonable. In fact I’m surprised they do not offer it themselves as a tour which they could then add additional fees on top of.

You make a very good point. I was surprised that I seemed to be the only one on our roll call that was contemplating this since it's a pretty obvious plan with consecutive ports each 2 hours away from the main attraction in the area. Could easily be a big money maker for the cruise line. Bet "their policy" would change very rapidly, lol. I was reluctant to alter our plans on the say-so of one (probably) low level employee. That is why I asked to speak to someone higher up who could explain the reason for the refusal to me. I hope they record those calls and someone reviews them! Haven't decided whether of not to escalate it since we've pretty much decided to just go by land instead of taking this cruise. I just thought I'd let folks know what the outcome was. In retrospect I should have kept it simple and just missed the ship.

I would certainly pursue this to a higher level with NCL. Your plan is not in the least unreasonable. In fact I’m surprised they do not offer it themselves as a tour which they could then add additional fees on top of.

My thoughts exactly.

A great shame.

JB :)

I was just having this conversation with DH yesterday as we watched several ships arrive in Gib port.

I have to say there are some very sensible ports that you could plan an overnight - the OPs plan to Granada is a good one, and I think an overnight in Rome travelling on to Florence/Livorno the next day is a temptation for me. However, for all the years I have been browsing these boards, I just don't see it discussed. It makes me think that the ships don't want you to do it. Overnights happen when the ship overnights e.g. going to Moscow when the ship overnights in St Petersburg.

If you miss the ship that is another matter - but then I would have thought that you would have to get back to the port anyway to speak to the port agent so it would not make your overnight in the Alhambra hotel a possibility.

I think the OP s plans for a land tour make sense. Hire a car and a visit to Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla, Cadiz, Malaga and a little wave to me in Gibraltar on the way - makes a brilliant two week trip.