Sapphire Princess Premium Ocean cabins

minikiss

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping some one can give me recent experiences of any of the Premium ocean view cabins, the ones right at the front of the ship.

From what I've found out they have the balcony but no furniture and the door is locked while at sea.

I'm considering booking one for the 7 day Fjords sailing in August.

I have no objection if it's locked while we get to Norway but i'm wondering if we'd be able to stand out there while we sail through the fjords themselves. It would be nice if we could. I'm thinking it could be calmer than in open waters.

Anyone have any thoughts.

I know it's likely to be a bit up and down but in December we were on the Ventura when it listed badly due to 100knts winds. I've told myself a bit a bobby is no where as bad as that experience.

thanks for any replies Jules

Hi Jules - Had one of the Premier Oceanview [C100] on sister ship Diamond Princess a few years ago & really enjoyed this larger cabin with the expansive views ahead. The beds are athwartships like the balcony cabins.

Have booked 50 days on Sapphire in B101 from October this year.

As an English Old Salt with over 45 years at sea - 15 as master - these cabins are similar the the masters cabin on most merchant ships - without the balcony of course. The difficulty is getting the door unlocked in the morning in time for arrival.

With the normal early arrival it will most likely not be possible but in the Norwegian fjords arrival could be later & the door could be unlocked after you go to breakfast if you request it from your steward. Even so they are totally exposed.

Rolling - not rocking please - is controlled by the stabilizers, but the up & down motion - PITCHING - will be more extreme right for'd. but this is fairly rare on cruise ships. If you ask the Chief Engineer nicely he may let you use his hammock slung over the centre of gravity in the engine room if it gets bad. Otherwise take some seasick tablets with you just in case.

If you would like some photos e/m me - j m n h s 9 5 at the google mob.

John

• 3 months later...

I am also trying to find current information on whether these cabins still have doors to the balconies (or floor to ceiling windows) or whether the ships have been refurbished to replace the balcony doors with picture windows as shown in the pictures on princess.com. I am looking at C105 on the Sapphire Princess for a 2019 cruise. Does anyone have any current information on these cabins?

I don't have recent experience but I doubt the doors have changed to windows. They don't want to advertise that there are doors as they can't always be used. These were built and first advertised as balconies but there is a reason the balconies can't be used at all times (beyond wind, I believe you can't have the lights on at night?).

We had stateroom C103 on the Sapphire last week. We accepted a downgrade offer, from a regular C deck balcony to this deluxe ocean view, and were pleasantly surprised.

The room was larger than a standard balcony stateroom and the doors opened on to a large covered balcony. The doors were not locked at all on our 7 night cruise to France and Spain. Although we were advised by our room steward, and by signs on the door that the lights on the balcony could be controlled by the bridge for navigational purposes and that our curtains should be closed at night. We did sit in the balcony whilst at sea, using the chairs from the room.

The balcony is steel fronted and the crew deck is in front of you, so I wouldn’t recommend it for views.

As I said we accepted it as a downgrade offer, so I don’t know how these rooms compare price wise to a regular balcony? If the price was right, I would not hesitate in booking this room again, we were not bothered by motion or the sound of the anchor (which was loud). No passing passengers made it a very quiet room. I would not book it instead of a regular balcony if costs were similar, I missed the view of the sea from the room.

• 3 months later...

I know this is a fairly old thread but we are booked in a gty for a Premium Ocean View (05 Category) on Sapphire Princess and I'm really hoping someone has pictures of these cabins. I'm told they are nice but pictures would really be appreciated.

Thrak - I have photos of C100 from cruise on Diamond Princess.

e-m j m n h s 9 5 g mail usual.

Am also joining Sapphire Princess on 9th of Oct. for 50 days B2B to Singapore & have booked B101.

Cabin is larger than standard oceanview & laid out similar to balcony with beds athwartships in those forward premium oceanviews. Full length sliding door to balcony with no furniture that can only be used in port.

John

Thrak - I have photos of C100 from cruise on Diamond Princess.

e-m j m n h s 9 5 g mail usual.

Am also joining Sapphire Princess on 9th of Oct. for 50 days B2B to Singapore & have booked B101.

Cabin is larger than standard oceanview & laid out similar to balcony with beds athwartships in those forward premium oceanviews. Full length sliding door to balcony with no furniture that can only be used in port.

John

Thanks. Will email and ask for the pics.

Edit: Hmmm... Bounced back. Is that dash between the first two letters supposed to be there? Is it maybe supposed to be an underscore?

Edited by Thrak

Many thanks! We will be in Alta, Norway from 10 AM one morning until 11 PM the next night so we should be able to have the balcony door unlocked during that time to watch the Northern Lights. We will likely spend time up on the public decks for that as well but it will probably be cold and it will be good to be able to watch from our own balcony even it doesn't have furniture.