which side is portside and which is starboard?

so does that mean the ports will be on the left side of the ship (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Are you asking because you want to book a room on the side of the ship that the ports will be on so you have a better view? If so, there's no relationship between the "PORT side of the ship" and "the side of the ship the 'port-of-call' is on". Sometimes starboard is the best view and sometimes it is the port side. Most of the cruise you're just looking at water anyway.

And Port wine is RED, which is the color of the port-side lights. Starboard is green. :)

T

Right you are Tracy! Easy to remember: the shortest number of letters will equal: left/port/red. Longest is: right/starboard/green.

Rick

I always got this confused before my first cruise and before I had to take a boat safety course to get my license for our jet ski. Port (4 letters like Left has 4 letters, so that is left side of the ship, so starboard (way more letters is right side) of the ship (facing forward). That helped me remember.........don't think I remember much more than that from that course :eek: !

On Grandeur of the Seas, if you are in the forward part of the ship, 4th deck, by the elevators, look at the signs by the stairs. The one on the starboard side lists the rooms on that side and says "Port." The one on the port side lists the rooms on that side and says "Starboard."

Starboard refers to viking ships that had the "steerboard," or steering board on the right side of their vessels - hence steerboard -> starboard!

The most common place to find them is on or near the bridge wings of a vessel. They may be hard to see on the vessel that you are on. They are visable from head on to just a little astern of mid ships.

Remember, ships don't have headlights and tail lights like cars.. the colors on each side allow other people to know the orientation of a ship at night. If you see a ship with green on the left and red on the right, it is facing you. If it's the other way around, then it is going away. Or if you just see one or the other (broadside), then you know which side of the ship you are seeing.

Of course cruise ships are usually lit up like the sun all night long, so it doesn't really matter, but most ships don't have very much light on at night, so it's much more important for them.

Theron

Remember, ships don't have headlights and tail lights like cars.. the colors on each side allow other people to know the orientation of a ship at night. If you see a ship with green on the left and red on the right, it is facing you. If it's the other way around, then it is going away. Or if you just see one or the other (broadside), then you know which side of the ship you are seeing.

Of course cruise ships are usually lit up like the sun all night long, so it doesn't really matter, but most ships don't have very much light on at night, so it's much more important for them.

Theron

The things that you learn on cruise critic!!

Also, on most ships the color of the carpeting on the portside will be different from the starboard side. Notice the color by your cabin and look for it whenever you get off the elevator.

I never could figure this out either, so I asked someone who was in the coast guard when we wre looking to book our first cruise and this is how i can now remember, I got LEFT at the PORT.

Not something I want to happen though.

Archived