Oporto

spf

Town is small but nice enough to wander around. There are boat trips you can catch. A number of port wine producers offer tours and they are worth visiting. One we went to was free if you went on the HOHO bus. There are a number of HOHO bus tours so do your research.

There’s a tower that you can climb that gives a great view, but it is quite claustrophobic, but fun! Son and I enjoyed this while my mum waited down below. Think it took around an hour.

We made the mistake of heading uphill into the town, which in itself is pretty but we were tired and hot which made us a bit fed up (if that is even possible on a cruise holiday) I think that after two previous intensive port days in Vigo and Lisbon we just needed to take it easy, especially my 72 year old mum. Maybe we should have researched a little bit more.

People we talked to afterwards went downhill towards the old town and the river where they had a little walk around and a ride on the water. They seemed to enjoy this very much.

Have a great day whatever you do!

Any advice for wheelchair users here, is it worth taking the shuttle into Porto and how steep are the streets down to the riverside from the shuttle stop? Or is it worthwhile staying in the port and walking along the promenade by the praia de Matosinhos?

Go onto Google Maps and look for Cruise Terminal for the Port of Leixoes. A red balloon should show up just outside the port doors. Follow along the road to the red part of the road, on the curve or Senhor do Padrao. If you zoom in the blue tent is where the bus drops you off at the gates.

You can now look around what is outside of the port. If you walk straight up the street when you come out of the gates, there looks to be a shopping mall, though how many shops are there I don't know. It also looks like there is another one a bit further over. You might have to zoom in a bit on the map to see more place appear with names.

There looks to be a lot of restaurants around the area. They might not be something that you would want. There is a beer garden on the beach just to the right of the gates and the promenade is long (or at least looks it from the photos).

I have tried a few times to add some photos that I took off the map but they are too big and I couldn't make them smaller.

Try Googling the shopping malls to see what they are, as they don't look to be many shops there. You can though zoom right into the street to see what is there.

I found some photos of the train station that was mentioned it looks very nice. I haven't found it on the map, so it might not be walking or pushing distance.

People we talked to afterwards went downhill towards the old town and the river where they had a little walk around and a ride on the water. They seemed to enjoy this very much.

Have a great day whatever you do!

We went downhill towards the river. Then if I remember correctly, there is some kind of lift that takes you up to the bridge. View from the bridge is really great. Then as you cross it, you enter into centre of town. It's been a couple of year but that is how I remember it.

• 5 weeks later...