NCL has new policy about children in own cabin

sueb

Just back from the Epic and didn't want to share this until I was sure we wouldn't have a problem. A couple of months back our TA shared with us that NCL had changed their policy about children being in cabin near their parents on the Epic. We had her double and triple check with the NCL group dept. head and we were assured this was the new pollicy although it has not been updated on their site. So bottom line is we had "children" ages 17 and 18 in the cabin next to parents. This was not a connecting cabin. We were told they could also be in an inside directly across from us.

Bottom line is, we booked this way and had a note on our reservation to that effect. We did not have a problem at check in and the check in personel did know about this new policy. The contract we signed did not specify this and I wish they would update their website to that effect.I was a bit concerned we might have a problem at check in I was given the name and number of the groups dept. if we had been questioned. All is fine and I'm glad they a more reasonable policy due to the small size of the cabins and very limited connecting cabins. Hope this info helps someone!

Edited by sueb
spelling

Glad we can put my teens across the hall from us on our upcoming Jewel cruise. We my 17 year old son in an inside room, and my wife and other son in the mini-suite. We planned on getting some extra keys so we could move between the cabins, but the plan was for my boys to share the inside. Guess we won't be bending any rules now.

Edited by sdmike

I am maybe a bit confused about the "new policy". Folks come here often and say they "book" an adult in each room, but once onboard, the kids take one room, and parents the other.

So, what are you saying has changed?

Maybe that you can just book in that way in the first place?

If so, a very small change and one that does not impact anything. But, I am not sure what you are saying changed.

Well IMO if they changed it, this is one policy I think NCL should have left alone and actually enforced or revamped just the age part of the policy. I’m not talking the OP’s 17 & 18 yr old since as far as I’m concerned an 18 yr old is an adult and I thought rather dumb that they need a chaperone or supervision by being in a connecting cabin. Besides by the time they are that age they probably don’t get in until well after midnight and probably fall right into bed.

Yes many people did it anyway and especially those from CC that knew others had put their children in different rooms and then switched. But since the majority of cruisers are not on CC, I could only hope they didn’t realize they could do this.

Here’s my reason for my thoughts. Our last cruise we had the joy of having a family in the next cabin (Mom, Dad and 2 children). These children were school age but not teens. Daily they would decide to use the bed as a trampoline or boxing ring or something to that effect and bounce off of the connecting wall. After a while Mom and/or Dad would settle it down. If these 2 had been in their cabin across the hall I can only imagine how long this would have kept up and mom and/or dad being no wiser since they would not have heard it.

I am maybe a bit confused about the "new policy". Folks come here often and say they "book" an adult in each room, but once onboard, the kids take one room, and parents the other.

So, what are you saying has changed?

Maybe that you can just book in that way in the first place?

If so, a very small change and one that does not impact anything. But, I am not sure what you are saying changed.

Hi, Sorry for the lack of clarity...It was late when I posted last night. The new policy allows minors to be booked in an adjoining cabin or a cabin accross the hall from the get go.I'm not sure at what age they are allowing this, but our feeling was not too allow this for 'older kids' of 18 was rediculous. This was important to us because we would have had 4 full grown 18 and 17 year olds in one cabin. That would have been miserable. We did switch cabins a bit once on board , but the bottom line is we were able to get away without stuffing too many people in one very undersized cabin!

Well IMO if they changed it, this is one policy I think NCL should have left alone and actually enforced or revamped just the age part of the policy. I’m not talking the OP’s 17 & 18 yr old since as far as I’m concerned an 18 yr old is an adult and I thought rather dumb that they need a chaperone or supervision by being in a connecting cabin. Besides by the time they are that age they probably don’t get in until well after midnight and probably fall right into bed.

Yes many people did it anyway and especially those from CC that knew others had put their children in different rooms and then switched. But since the majority of cruisers are not on CC, I could only hope they didn’t realize they could do this.

Here’s my reason for my thoughts. Our last cruise we had the joy of having a family in the next cabin (Mom, Dad and 2 children). These children were school age but not teens. Daily they would decide to use the bed as a trampoline or boxing ring or something to that effect and bounce off of the connecting wall. After a while Mom and/or Dad would settle it down. If these 2 had been in their cabin across the hall I can only imagine how long this would have kept up and mom and/or dad being no wiser since they would not have heard it.

I think this was the same group of kids we had above us on this trip!!!

Just back from the Epic and didn't want to share this until I was sure we wouldn't have a problem. A couple of months back our TA shared with us that NCL had changed their policy about children being in cabin near their parents on the Epic. We had her double and triple check with the NCL group dept. head and we were assured this was the new pollicy although it has not been updated on their site. So bottom line is we had "children" ages 17 and 18 in the cabin next to parents. This was not a connecting cabin. We were told they could also be in an inside directly across from us.

Bottom line is, we booked this way and had a note on our reservation to that effect. We did not have a problem at check in and the check in personel did know about this new policy. The contract we signed did not specify this and I wish they would update their website to that effect.I was a bit concerned we might have a problem at check in I was given the name and number of the groups dept. if we had been questioned. All is fine and I'm glad they a more reasonable policy due to the small size of the cabins and very limited connecting cabins. Hope this info helps someone!

RCCL has the same policy.

Still not understanding what the problem was. You were able to book the kids in a separate room next to or across the hall from you. If you weren't able to do this before, you merely would book one adult aged 21 or older in the room and get additional room keys once onboard. So you saved a step of not getting the extra keys.

Did you end up booking more than one extra cabin? Not sure what you meant that you still switched around once onboard and the bottom line "is we were able to get away without stuffing too many people in one very undersized cabin!"

Not sure why you were so worried about this...You ended up booking the kids separately but you still switched around after you got to the ship.

RCCL has the same policy.

Still not understanding what the problem was. You were able to book the kids in a separate room next to or across the hall from you. If you weren't able to do this before, you merely would book one adult aged 21 or older in the room and get additional room keys once onboard. So you saved a step of not getting the extra keys.

Did you end up booking more than one extra cabin? Not sure what you meant that you still switched around once onboard and the bottom line "is we were able to get away without stuffing too many people in one very undersized cabin!"

Not sure why you were so worried about this...You ended up booking the kids separately but you still switched around after you got to the ship.

I believe what the OP was saying that the way the policy is written on the web site

"Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation."

I think the OP did not want to have to bend or break NCL's policy to do as you suggest above. Now apparently NCL's policy has changed and will allow you to book separate non-connecting cabins for your children that are under 21. Like you I'm not really sure what the switching around on board is all about.

I'm finding this apparent policy change to be a little odd, since if I had a "grown up" 8 or 9 year old I could book them in a totally differnt part of the ship as I was??? Sorry but I'd have to see the NCL written policy to understand how they plan to allow this.

Maybe they've just lowered the stated age to 18 instead of 21, which would make sense to me, since I think of 18 as an adult anyway (But then again in Canada 18 is an adult).

If the policy has changed, NCL has not notified travel agents. Our website still says that there needs to be someone over 21 in a room with minors and we will continue to book this way unless NCL tells us any differently.

I also contacted our BDM and she knows nothing of this "change".

Just back from the Epic with DH and 2 boys 12&15). We had two side-by-side inside cabins, not adjoining. I was told we needed to book an adult in each room per the rules. It wasn't a big deal, although we did need to go to guest services to get extra keys made.

Just to clarify, We had kids ages 15,16, 17, 18x2 and 20x2 with 5 adults. Because of the gender of one of the younger passengers and the fact we had one person sailing solo it was a bit of a challenge to book and keep the cost down for the younger one paying his own way. I've booked many a cruise and, on this line, booking was a challenge because of how they have layed out their cabins.

We are experienced cruises with RCCL and Princess (17 in all). We have booked before with adults in a kids room then switched (on princess), but it was a challenge on this ship due to our needs and the cabin set ups/ availability. This cruise line had very limiting rules. This new policy was offered to my TA by the Groups Dept at NCL, she did not ask. We were having problems with cabin assignments and they offered! When we originally booked this was not the policy, buy had additional passengers sign on with us and we had to accomidate them.

All I'm trying to do is inform those that are interested that there is a policy that has been changed, but obviously hasn't been updated on their website. I booked with a TA (well known) as part of a group booking and all the conversations were with NCL's group dept. It was explained to me that they have loosened to rules to align more closely with other lines booking rules. If your TA does not know about the changes in the policy, then have them call and ask. I'm not sure they are pushing the policy change, but have done so. I was leary also, but had all my documention in order. Just hoping this will help another family in like situation. That is it! Happy Cruising!

All I'm trying to do is inform those that are interested that there is a policy that has been changed, but obviously hasn't been updated on their website. I booked with a TA (well known) as part of a group booking and all the conversations were with NCL's group dept. It was explained to me that they have loosened to rules to align more closely with other lines booking rules. If your TA does not know about the changes in the policy, then have them call and ask. I'm not sure they are pushing the policy change, but have done so. I was leary also, but had all my documention in order. Just hoping this will help another family in like situation. That is it! Happy Cruising!

Thanks for the info!! This is great news!!

For those who don't think it's a big deal, it probably isn't but it is annoying to go to Guest Services once you board to get the extra keys. In our experience, the lines were sooooo long and unorganized -- not a great way to start your cruise. We are a family of four. My kids are now 18 and 17. Two of us had to have two keys (one for each room) and that can be a pain. In the grand scheme of things, it is not a big deal, but it is a nuisance!

Thank you Sueb, that is new and necessary info (we have a 17 yo and a 19 yo in our cruising party). I have exchanged officially and unofficially, and yes, it is new and it worth noting.

As has also been noted, it is a pain to stand in the purser's to switch keys officially, and personally, switching unofficially won't work because I don't look 19. <G>

el henry

Just to clarify, We had kids ages 15,16, 17, 18x2 and 20x2 with 5 adults. Because of the gender of one of the younger passengers and the fact we had one person sailing solo it was a bit of a challenge to book and keep the cost down for the younger one paying his own way. I've booked many a cruise and, on this line, booking was a challenge because of how they have layed out their cabins.

We are experienced cruises with RCCL and Princess (17 in all). We have booked before with adults in a kids room then switched (on princess), but it was a challenge on this ship due to our needs and the cabin set ups/ availability. This cruise line had very limiting rules. This new policy was offered to my TA by the Groups Dept at NCL, she did not ask. We were having problems with cabin assignments and they offered! When we originally booked this was not the policy, buy had additional passengers sign on with us and we had to accomidate them.

We sail in a few days and booked two rooms across from each other with an adult in each room and a teenager in each room because of the policy.

This is our first cruise. Can someone explain why you need to get extra keys? Don't they give each person in a room a key for that room? I am not understanding the need to go to guest services for extra keys?

Thanks in advance.

We sail in a few days and booked two rooms across from each other with an adult in each room and a teenager in each room because of the policy.

This is our first cruise. Can someone explain why you need to get extra keys? Don't they give each person in a room a key for that room? I am not understanding the need to go to guest services for extra keys?

Thanks in advance.

Your cruise card/ID is also your room key. If you plan on sleeping in a room you're not assigned to you need an extra key. For example, assuming you want to sleep in the other room with your spouse, you'll need a separate key for that room. If you plan to sleep where you're assigned, no key is needed.

We're also going to give keys to our balcony cabin to our family members sleeping in an inside room. This will allow them access to a balcony.

• 5 years later...
Any updates on this? Can a person under 21 be in their own room?

Not a great thread to bump, because it contains outdated information. If you have 2 adults over the age of 21, and kids under 21 (even if they are legal adults), the over 21’s need to be booked with the under 21’s, even if in connecting cabins. I needed to book with dd20,DH needed to book with ds19, which meant for the UBP, the kids had the soda package. It would’ve been better if DH and I could’ve booked the same cabin and both had the UBP, and the young adults had the internet.

Not a great thread to bump, because it contains outdated information. If you have 2 adults over the age of 21, and kids under 21 (even if they are legal adults), the over 21’s need to be booked with the under 21’s, even if in connecting cabins. I needed to book with dd20,DH needed to book with ds19, which meant for the UBP, the kids had the soda package. It would’ve been better if DH and I could’ve booked the same cabin and both had the UBP, and the young adults had the internet.

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.