Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chris was that potty box on Holland America?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

By the way, here's the box we had on Zuiderdam in April, forward on the lower promenade deck and we had the same on another HAL cruise. It actually had Raylene's name and room number on that little white label you can barely see in the photo. That box was perfect and worked out great, so I was surprised by the Maasdam's little squares on cardboard. But they did correct the situation, which made me happy.

fd375cf0-0c28-48d0-9078-26f5e76310ca_zps96rzsjls.jpg

By the way, here's the box we had on Zuiderdam in April, forward on the lower promenade deck and we had the same on another HAL cruise. It actually had Raylene's name and room number on that little white label you can barely see in the photo. That box was perfect and worked out great, so I was surprised by the Maasdam's little squares on cardboard. But they did correct the situation, which made me happy.

fd375cf0-0c28-48d0-9078-26f5e76310ca_zps96rzsjls.jpg

That's more like it. That's what they always provided for us.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Here's a fun thing that happened this weekend. Someone contacted me on Facebook and, long story short, I got to see photos of Raylene's litter mate from Guide Dogs for the Blind in California, another female black Lab.

She's a working Guide Dog and looks exactly like Raylene! It was almost eerie, but they are twins, after all.

Ha ha, yes it's amazing what a lab will do for a treat! Poppy isn't there, she got fed up, just as I got them all sat down, one would move, and then they'd sit and then another would move - a bit like herding cats!

You would be very welcome! :D

Ah "The Donald" - he built a golf course near us (on a beautiful protected beach) and I have to admit what "he's" done is lovely but it came with the promise of a big luxury hotel, luxury houses, tons of new jobs, blah blah blah .... Guess what, golf course done, small country house hotel in the original estate mansion house, but no sign of the huge $$$ investment he promised! He fell out with Alex Salmond our then First Minister.

We saw him once - we had gone to have a look at the Trump Estate - curiosity got the better of us - and guess what as we were driving out of the estate, he came out of the hotel into his car - he gave us a wave! I can't remember if I shouted Hey Trumpy Trumpy or not! ;):) LOL!

We will all be watching to see what happens in November! I don't know whether I will laugh or cry if he wins! :eek:

fairbourne,

If either one wins, we all still loose. :( Just my opinion.

we should have a "no" box on the ballot...50.1% vote no and we get two new candidates...

In California there was an attempt to get a "None of the above" box on the ballot. However, it got less than 50% of the vote. All it would do is say, I don't like any of the candidates enough to vote for any of them. I was one of the people that voted against this.

Yet while driving into work today, I thought of the same thing you did. It is nice to wish for. However, if implemented it would mean that there might never be an elected president.

How the two parties could choose two of the worst choices since before Washington's time is beyond me.

fairbourne,

If either one wins, we all still loose. :( Just my opinion.

You are not the only one with this opinion. Usually people have to choose between the lesser of the two evils. This time the choice is between the lesser of the two very evils.

Here's a fun thing that happened this weekend. Someone contacted me on Facebook and, long story short, I got to see photos of Raylene's litter mate from Guide Dogs for the Blind in California, another female black Lab.

She's a working Guide Dog and looks exactly like Raylene! It was almost eerie, but they are twins, after all.

I know exactly how you must have felt. Seeing Brenda's father and meeting some of Horton's littermates was so rewarding and felt so good!

We have so little to do with their "past lives", before they went to Team Training and met them at the age of 2 or more........it's so neat to see their family members.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I don't see much difference between the two this year Roz!

Like you and so many others on this thread who have traveled the world by cruise ship.......it didn't matter where I went......I couldn't wait to come home to the good old USA!

For the first time in my life.....I'm questioning the way I feel!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

There really isn't much difference between the two.

A brief comment I heard on the radio this morning; this year we have the evil of two lessers.

In any case let's make this the last political post in this thread. The PTB*'s have a very quick trigger finger when it comes to deleting a thread that engages in political discussions.

*PTB = Powers that be.

Edited by Host Walt

A brief comment I heard on the radio this morning; this year we have the evil of two lessers.

In any case let's make this the last political post in this thread. The PTB*'s have a very quick trigger finger when it comes to deleting a thread that engages in political discussions.

*PTB = Powers that be.

Thanks Walt.

Edited by Host Walt

You said, "I have a SD In-Training." If this were NOT a dog friendly hotel they would NOT have to allow your dog-in-training, since dogs-in-training do NOT have the same rights that fully-trained SD's have. Unless, there has been a special arrangement made between the SD training org. and the folks with their pups in training.

Service dog in training laws vary from state to state, but if the state the hotel is in gives access to trainers with service dogs in training, the hotel would have to accept her with her dog and not charge a pet fee.

Remember, you NEVER have to "warn" or otherwise let the hotel know that you're bringing your SD. I let the airlines know because usually I'm requesting bulk-head seating for mine and my dogs comfort!

Exactly! I never tell a US hotel ahead of time, but do for airlines because I need the bulkhead. The exception is that currently, those who have psychiatric service dogs must call the airlines at least 48 hours before their flight to notify them about the dog (they also need a doctor letter less than a year old). The DOT will soon be changing the regulations, likely doing away with emotional support animals (which are pets, not trained service animals) and perhaps changing more like requiring doctor letters for all types of service dogs - we shall see!

Horton will be seeing him for; Rabies/DHLPP update 3 weeks before we leave.

Most countries don't allow dogs in if the rabies was done sooner than 30 days before entering, so the immunity has built up, so you would need to go get the vaccine done four to five weeks before you leave.

No rainforest, no jungles, no deep sea diving, no bus/train tours and no zip-lining or para sailing for Horton!

You are so mean! Horton told me he wants to go on the zip-line, so you better strap him in and let him goooooooo! :p

You mention the dog can not be a Therapy Dog or Dog in Training. Who determines this? I know this can be a hot topic so please understand my interest is to learn more. I'm aware of the ADA requirements and the two questions that can be asked. I would think this would make it difficult for a cruise ship to know if it's a Service Dog, Therapy Dog or Dog in Training.

The requirements of the ADA are what determines whether or not a dog is a service dog. The cruise lines can ask the two questions, just like other businesses. The cruise lines can also observe the dog's behavior upon arrival and during the cruise, as they can the passengers' behavior. A service dog has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of the individual with the disability and those tasks/work must directly relate to the disability. They must also be housebroken and behave in public. The person must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, such as seeing, walking, hearing, caring for self, etc.

On our recent TA cruise there were 5 dogs. I guess I didn't word my query correctly when I said expectations. What I mean was expectations/guidelines from the ship. For example - leaving a dog alone in the cabin, allowing a dog to sit on furniture in public lounges....like the Schooner Bar......and being able to carry a dog under your arm while getting food in the Windjammer. I saw the owner(s) of these dogs many times without their dog(s) in public places onboard. One dog was running loose in the Centrum and obviously got away from his/her owner.

The ADA does not allow service dogs to be left alone in hotel rooms (the dogs must always be under the handler's control), so the same would go for cruise cabins. The cruise lines generally have rules against it, too. Service dogs are not supposed to be sitting on furniture in public places and the ADA states businesses do not have to allow it as an accommodation. Service dogs are allowed to be carried, but should not be carried next to the buffet. Service dogs should walk on the floor next to the buffets and other serving and dining areas, though this is not a law. Service dogs must be leashed unless the person's disability prevents them from using a leash or while the dog is performing a task that it needs to be off-leash for, such as a distance retrieve or getting help when their person is having a seizure.

Hawaii is a perfect example. They want a Rabies Titer done within a few days of entering Hawaii [by plane], they know it can't be done within that time, if arriving by ship. Which is why having as much as you can from your Vet on paper, informing them of your dogs good health, is so important.

This is not true, especially since it takes weeks, sometimes a month when the testing facility is busy, to get back the results of a rabies titer test. Also, they used to require a six-month wait between the blood draw for the test and the dog entering Hawaii (still required for pets). Here are the current requirements for entering Hawaii with a service dog (note that this information does not apply to pets, which have different requirements):

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/guide-service-dogs-entering-hawaii/

Hi, everyone! I hope you're doing well and enjoying all those cruises! Maybe one day I will go on another, but who knows.

Okay, that cruise ship potty that was cardboard with turf on top is utterly ridiculous!!! Who in their right mind thought that would work?! Glad you finally got it resolved, but it should not have happened in the first place.

Roz, no monkeys, huh? You need to search YouTube for videos of the drunk monkeys on one of the Caribbean islands - hysterical stuff! I so wanted to go to the bar they hung out at, but unfortunately it closed down before that trip, so I never got to buy a drink for a monkey and see him fall off the table drunk! :p

Well, it was nice to have a six-month break from one of my disabilities being chronic (only happened two to four days per month during that time), but now it is back to chronic. Fun times. :( I really hope I am not coming down with the bug a family member is trying to get over, too. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

My girl is doing well. Not really anything new to report, so I guess that's good news! :)

Most countries don't allow dogs in if the rabies was done sooner than 30 days before entering, so the immunity has built up, so you would need to go get the vaccine done four to five weeks before you leave.

How interesting......I don't mean to be argumentative......My USDA Certified Vet told me to come in at least 11 days prior to boarding the ship. That that is the actual time needed for any and all immunities to build-up!!!!! And, he gives me a letter stating this "in writing" in case any port questions it! Now, I'm no Vet but I tend to trust and believe whatever my Vet says.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Interesting bit of news about the state laws in my state: My pup in training is allowed to go into anywhere a fully trained SD can go with me as long as he is fully under control. If he becomes unruly, I'm expected to remove him.

So far, things are going well. The questions I get are more along the lines of his age, his breed, how hard is it to train him, etc.

Do you give the age in dog years or people years?

:)

He is currently 10 months old. Most of the time, people exclaim how well behaved he is and comment that their dog, who is (fill in the blank on age and breed) doesn't behave as well and they cannot imagine taking all over.

Then there are the people who say they wish they could take their dog with them everywhere. At which point, I compare it to taking a 2-year-old everywhere, including leaving 20 minutes early to arrive on time.

Keep in mind, I live in a rural community and dogs are welcome plenty of places they would not be in the city.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk