Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hello everyone ..... I'm still here, and I have caught up with everyone's news - finally!

Well it's just been one of those times when life just comes at you full blast and before you know it summer is over (well if you can call it that here!) and now we are on a countdown to Christmas!QUOTE]

So glad to hear that your puppies are doing well Fairbourne. Heidi is adorable.

Dianne

I'm fighting a dang upper respiratory infection right now and am so glad I got it in plenty of time before our travels. I got my flu shot last week and although they say it's a "dead" virus, I manage to get some sort of reaction anyway!!!! Or, it's just coincidental!

Love the pic of Heidi, I want to see how the rest of the babies are doing.[/b][/color]

Summer colds are the worst! I am sure that you must have had the same heat wave in Southern California that we had here in the Bay Area - it sure does not seem like fall.

Dianne

A few photos from our two week Alaska cruise...This is the relief station on the Maasdam which was in a non-public area aft on Deck five (one deck below the Lower Promenade where our cabin was.) I am guessing they had just one slab of grass sod delivered to set up three stations for the three dogs.

But the two small (about 18 or 20") squares of grass on cardboard did not contain the liquids or hold up well at all. Halfway through the cruise, I asked them to replace them and eventually there were three nice plywood boxes filled with mulch obtained in Kodiak, Alaska (plus the old grass squares). I give Holland America points for being responsive to my request.

P1100991_zpsbsq1ytso.jpg

A few photos from our two week Alaska cruise...This is the relief station on the Maasdam which was in a non-public area aft on Deck five (one deck below the Lower Promenade where our cabin was.) I am guessing they had just one slab of grass sod delivered to set up three stations for the three dogs.

But the two small (about 18 or 20") squares of grass on cardboard did not contain the liquids or hold up well at all. Halfway through the cruise, I asked them to replace them and eventually there were three nice plywood boxes filled with mulch obtained in Kodiak, Alaska (plus the old grass squares). I give Holland America points for being responsive to my request.

P1100991_zpsbsq1ytso.jpg

OMG!!! What were they NOT thinking!!!! We should all start posting pictures of what these ships call a "Potty Box!" And, the "stuff" that they use for fillers.......I could write a complete comedy routine on this alone!!!!

Here's our ship's photographer photo (a freebie from our travel agency) taken going ashore one day. Raylene looks like, "get me away from this guy in the bear costume."

Alaska20ship20pic019_zpsa8lnvsmv.jpg

Raylene, you feel exactly the same way Brenda felt about any stuffed animal......Horton, on the other hand, can't get enough of them and will sniff them out until I have to beg him to stop!!!!

Thank you for sharing your great pictures with us!

Thanks, Roz! And sincere thanks for starting this thread long ago, which helped me realize I could go on on a cruise and helped so much with the logistics. Five down, more ahead!

I'm so grateful for all that I've learned from everyone on this amazing thread. We are the best of what friendship and family means.

Thank you moderators for taking care of us!!!!

Hi Roz - hope you're feeling a bit, well actually I hope you're feeling a LOT better by now! It's that time of year here when nasty flu bugs go around with the change of weather. It'll almost be time to get my thermal underwear out! TMI! LOL!!!

Heidi is very cute but she's a million miles an hour and just doesn't stop! You need eyes in the back of your head too. She's with her "Aunty" right now and was found standing with her back legs on auntie's bed with her front legs stretched across to the chest of drawers trying to grab hold of the TV remote control! Of course you can imagine just what happened next when told in no uncertain terms to get down immediately! Poor pup fell in between the bed and chest of drawers! No harm done but what she thought she was doing who knows! Poor Aunty is quite frazzled! :eek:

Chris - loved the photos - Alaska is simply stunning. Maybe you and Roz should put together a "Potty Box Do's and Dont's" for the cruise lines. Then they would have no excuse!

Have a great weekend everyone - we have lots of pre-winter things to do in the garden - no doubt with some great four-legged supervision!

Hi Roz - hope you're feeling a bit, well actually I hope you're feeling a LOT better by now! It's that time of year here when nasty flu bugs go around with the change of weather. It'll almost be time to get my thermal underwear out! TMI! LOL!!!

Heidi is very cute but she's a million miles an hour and just doesn't stop! You need eyes in the back of your head too. She's with her "Aunty" right now and was found standing with her back legs on auntie's bed with her front legs stretched across to the chest of drawers trying to grab hold of the TV remote control! Of course you can imagine just what happened next when told in no uncertain terms to get down immediately! Poor pup fell in between the bed and chest of drawers! No harm done but what she thought she was doing who knows! Poor Aunty is quite frazzled! :eek:

Chris - loved the photos - Alaska is simply stunning. Maybe you and Roz should put together a "Potty Box Do's and Dont's" for the cruise lines. Then they would have no excuse!

Have a great weekend everyone - we have lots of pre-winter things to do in the garden - no doubt with some great four-legged supervision!

I just love your "puppy antic's" stories. I can just see all of it happening and it makes me smile.

I'm feeling a bit better but the darn cough is lingering on. As long as it's all gone by November 16th when I leave for Panama, I'll be happy.

I'm a bit poorer this moment. I went to the Vet to purchase Horton's supply of Heartguard and Nexguard and even with a coupon I had to put out $349.00. Of course it was a years supply and when you think of it that way, it's less than a dollar a day to keep the heartworm, fleas and ticks away from my baby!!!! That's a ridiculous amount of money for what he's worth!!!!

I made his appointment for all his immunizations that are due. The Vet said he should be immunized no more than 11 days before leaving San Pedro. Since my Vet is USDA Approved he will have all the necessary forms and paperwork to give me.

Have a great weekend.

We had gorgeous weather about half of the cruise. But the glaciers (this was Endicott Arm approaching Dawes Glacier) were so dramatic and spectacular on gray cloudy days, too.

DSC_0241_zpsz0ygao33.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pictures Chris. The glaciers are spectacular. That relief area was pretty funny.

Henri had her trip to the vet on Friday and we got all her paperwork filled out for the Panama Canal. Monday we go to the USDA office in San Francisco to get the form for Mexico endorsed. Wish me luck! I am sure that it will all go fine, but being a first timer I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Dianne

Thanks for sharing your pictures Chris. The glaciers are spectacular. That relief area was pretty funny.

Henri had her trip to the vet on Friday and we got all her paperwork filled out for the Panama Canal. Monday we go to the USDA office in San Francisco to get the form for Mexico endorsed. Wish me luck! I am sure that it will all go fine, but being a first timer I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Dianne

Good luck, Dianne! I think it will be better and easier doing it in person. I've always mailed the forms for endorsement and have had hassles - stuck in pending files, ignored, sent back without endorsement, or inoculations questioned from afar. Better now that I have a helpful vet. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the nice words about our Alaska photos.

You, too, Keith!

Hello Dianne, my husband and I are traveling with a service dog also. Our first trip with her. We are only going to Mexico what paper work did you need for Mexico?

Look at post #17745 - Chris posted the information for you if you are traveling from Canada.

If you are traveling from the US, you will need a Aphis form 7001 filled out by a USDA certified vet. You can find all the info you need to travel from the US to a foreign country at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/take-pet-to-foreign-country.

We had a successful trip to the USDA today and Henri is good to go! It was a relief to get all the paperwork in order. I have all the copies made and in a binder along with the health forms and required vaccination certificates. Now I just have to finish packing!

Thank you to Roz, Chris and everyone else for the helpful advice.

Dianne

We had a successful trip to the USDA today and Henri is good to go! It was a relief to get all the paperwork in order. I have all the copies made and in a binder along with the health forms and required vaccination certificates. Now I just have to finish packing!

Thank you to Roz, Chris and everyone else for the helpful advice.

Dianne

That's GREAT! I know it feels so good to wrap up that stress. Now you can shift into having a wonderful vacation!