Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

:)

He is currently 10 months old. Most of the time, people exclaim how well behaved he is and comment that their dog, who is (fill in the blank on age and breed) doesn't behave as well and they cannot imagine taking all over.

Then there are the people who say they wish they could take their dog with them everywhere. At which point, I compare it to taking a 2-year-old everywhere, including leaving 20 minutes early to arrive on time.

Keep in mind, I live in a rural community and dogs are welcome plenty of places they would not be in the city.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Well, if it is a service dog, it better be well behaved.

I used to take my pet cat to work on the last Friday of the month. However, I had to stop because all my co-workers would call in sick that day and we couldn't get any work done ...

image.jpg

Interesting bit of news about the state laws in my state: My pup in training is allowed to go into anywhere a fully trained SD can go with me as long as he is fully under control. If he becomes unruly, I'm expected to remove him.

So far, things are going well. The questions I get are more along the lines of his age, his breed, how hard is it to train him, etc.

Horton weighs over 80lbs and if he became unruly he could do a lot of damage. He's under control 100% of the time that we are in the public. When we are in our cabin or an empty lounge [when the ship is docked at a port and most passengers are on excursions] he is his goofy, playful self. I bring a ball and let him romp and play.

It's all about the behavior of our dogs in public. Most folks have absolutely no idea about the "puppy in training" vs. the "fully trained dog!" It's really up to the handler to present the best dog behavior that they can!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Our pups in training don't have the same "right of access" as the fully trained working guide dogs but with one exception we have been welcomed everywhere and as most folk say to me " well how are they (the pups) supposed to learn if they don't come in?"

I am constantly amazed at how kind people are - I remember one of our first visits with Bonnie into a local shopping mall and an elderly lady in a wheelchair was shopping with her daughter - they both gave me the look that I know now very well which translates into "I really, really want to say hello to that darling pup but I won't" and if I get that look I always say hello and smile. Anyway, got chatting to these two ladies and the result was an impromptu training session for Bonnie as she had never seen a wheelchair before. So in exchange for a puppy cuddle we did a couple of laps around the mall with Bonnie trotting alongside me next to the lady in the wheelchair. We had fun and the lady went off delighted with herself telling me that she never thought she would have helped train a guide dog!

We were talking about this the other day that our dogs and pups go into a different mind set when they are working/training - Bonnie is another total goofball at home! And that's the way it should be! :D.

We are due to go on our ferry training soon - I'll just have to pretend it's a cruise ship! Wonder what they do about a potty box! I will make sure to ask and take Chris' photo of the "good" potty box with me.

Our pups in training don't have the same "right of access" as the fully trained working guide dogs but with one exception we have been welcomed everywhere and as most folk say to me " well how are they (the pups) supposed to learn if they don't come in?"

I am constantly amazed at how kind people are - I remember one of our first visits with Bonnie into a local shopping mall and an elderly lady in a wheelchair was shopping with her daughter - they both gave me the look that I know now very well which translates into "I really, really want to say hello to that darling pup but I won't" and if I get that look I always say hello and smile. Anyway, got chatting to these two ladies and the result was an impromptu training session for Bonnie as she had never seen a wheelchair before. So in exchange for a puppy cuddle we did a couple of laps around the mall with Bonnie trotting alongside me next to the lady in the wheelchair. We had fun and the lady went off delighted with herself telling me that she never thought she would have helped train a guide dog!

We were talking about this the other day that our dogs and pups go into a different mind set when they are working/training - Bonnie is another total goofball at home! And that's the way it should be! :D.

We are due to go on our ferry training soon - I'll just have to pretend it's a cruise ship! Wonder what they do about a potty box! I will make sure to ask and take Chris' photo of the "good" potty box with me.

Love your stories of your sessions with your "Pups in Training."

I love how some folks look at Horton with such adoration and then there are some, [not many] who look with frowns!

I was in Target on Tuesday and a little girl kept teasing at Horton with barking noises and growling at him......Between you and me, I wanted to bop her on the head. Instead, and with great restraint, I asked her Mother to please restrain her child from distracting my Service Dog.

The mother was very nice and told her little girl that the dog was working and she should stop making the noises. She did for 10 seconds and resumed again, as I went walking past her. Horton just looked at her, as if to say......"you are so ignorant and you have NO manners!"

Well, if it is a service dog, it better be well behaved.

I used to take my pet cat to work on the last Friday of the month. However, I had to stop because all my co-workers would call in sick that day and we couldn't get any work done ...

image.jpg

What a handsome boy!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I want to wish everyone a wonderful, happy weekend. I'll be in Eugene, Oregon with my daughter and look forward to catching up with all of you upon my return. She says there's lots of rain so I should bring Horton's rain gear......I live in L.A., what do I know about rain? I've loaded up my car with lots of goodies and stuff that belonged to Morey that I want my children to have.

My daughter says no one in Oregon really carries an umbrella, they're used to it. She says, "Mom, just wear a good coat with a hood!" "And, be prepared to have frizzy hair the entire time!!!!" Horton doesn't like to step in puddles, we'll see!!!!

Take care everyone!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I want to wish everyone a wonderful, happy weekend. I'll be in Eugene, Oregon with my daughter and look forward to catching up with all of you upon my return. She says there's lots of rain so I should bring Horton's rain gear......I live in L.A., what do I know about rain? I've loaded up my car with lots of goodies and stuff that belonged to Morey that I want my children to have.

My daughter says no one in Oregon really carries an umbrella, they're used to it. She says, "Mom, just wear a good coat with a hood!" "And, be prepared to have frizzy hair the entire time!!!!" Horton doesn't like to step in puddles, we'll see!!!!

Take care everyone!

Have a great trip Roz...Happy Weekend Everyone!

Thanks Keith. Now I'm being told that they're expecting some really violent weather in Seattle and that it might move down the coast to Oregon. Not going to stop me......The only thing that I hate is taking Horton out in it to go potty is the worst part.......I prefer cruising vacations to these land things!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Have a great, safe trip Aunty Roz!

Just as well you don't live here - it's rained every day at some point each day for the last week, and today it rained ALL day. Frizzy hair, tell me about it!!!

Well, today we had a wee tea party to say good bye and good luck to our latest pup to head off to training school - Michelle. So we had 5 dogs in the house this afternoon, one each! LOL! Michelle is a sponsored pup - a local supermarket raised money in memory of a colleague which was a lovely thing to do. I first met Michelle when she was all of 8 weeks old and Aruba had left the week before to head to "school" but I turned up at puppy class (hoping I wouldn't cry when anyone asked me how I was - DKD you will know that feeling!) and Michelle's puppy walker took one look at me and said "you'll be in need of a puppy cuddle then" and thrust Michelle into my arms. There's nothing like a puppy snuggle when you're feeling a bit down! Michelle's puppy walkers are "retiring" now, Michelle is pup number 7. But I was good, I didn't cry today, I just gave her a big hug and lots of back scratches! She's got a funny little habit when you stroke her back, she loves it so much, she slides down and down and she ends up standing on her head, bum in the air! :eek:

Their last dog is now a working guide dog with a lady who adores her and can't imagine life now without her - you know DKD we teach them not to get on the furniture, beds etc., well this dog has her own sun lounger! :D. I guess she doesn't live close to here!

Happy weekend everyone!

Hello from Guatemala. We are having a great cruise! Henri is the star of the ship and has a large fan club. After a day of discussion we were able to get the relief box moved to our balcony. What a difference having it there makes. So much easier - I couldn't get to the original location myself / it took three people. One to hold the door and my husband to get the wheelchair over the threshold which was a great obstacle. Have a safe trip Roz - drive carefully. Love the puppy in training stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wish us luck! We are off for three days of SD training! The weather includes some rain here as well, so it should be interesting. Scooter is happy to play in the puddles. Me not as much.

Meanwhile, three days in a hotel in the middle of nowhere.

How interesting......I don't mean to be argumentative......My USDA Certified Vet told me to come in at least 11 days prior to boarding the ship. That that is the actual time needed for any and all immunities to build-up!!!!! And, he gives me a letter stating this "in writing" in case any port questions it! Now, I'm no Vet but I tend to trust and believe whatever my Vet says.

I don't know countries you're going to, so can't look them up for you, but you can look up their requirements and see. Most say no sooner than 30 days. There's a reason why you can't do a rabies titer until 30 days after the vaccine has been given. Of course, we all know these boosters are stupid and are hurting our dogs, but rabies is required by law, so we don't have a choice but to give it every three years and to follow the import requirements for the different countries (some require rabies to be given no later than one year). Here's hoping the Rabies Challenge Study ends up changing the laws, especially in those one-year countries! Too many vets still push over-vaccinating the other vaccines, though.

Hello from Guatemala. We are having a great cruise! Henri is the star of the ship and has a large fan club. After a day of discussion we were able to get the relief box moved to our balcony. What a difference having it there makes. So much easier - I couldn't get to the original location myself / it took three people. One to hold the door and my husband to get the wheelchair over the threshold which was a great obstacle. Have a safe trip Roz - drive carefully. Love the puppy in training stories!

Wow, that sounds like the original location was a horrible decision on the cruise line's part! They should have moved it immediately upon your complaint of not being able to use it! Ridiculous that it took that long for them to move it, but I am glad that they finally did. What line are you on?

Have fun!

Well we just got the OK to keep Sutter for an extra 3 months and turn him in in February. We have alot of fundraisers coming up and we didn't know how Orson would be doing. So we asked if we could keep Sutter for 3 more months. We are hoping that we will be in the team training class in February. Orson is still doing fine. He is slowing down a bit more and the tumor has gotten a little bigger. But he still wants to work.

DKD - you must be delighted you've got Sutter with you for a few more months. By the way our Bonnie is going, we will have her for a few more months too! This "is she", "isn't she" in season has been going on for ages now but Max was getting quite fruity with her the other day, so maybe something is finally happening! So I fear our ferry training exercise is looking doubtful for next week. One of the other pups will take our place.

I'm glad Orsen still wants to work and is doing well although I do understand at the same time it must be such a worry for you all. But it's great Sutter is going to be around as Orsen's doggy buddy for a wee while yet! :)

Algebralovr - how did you and Scooter get on with your training?

It's always quiet around here when you-know-who is away! ;) I hope she's having a great time with her family!

Good news about Sutter, Den. He'll be with you for the holidays!

Raylene and I have been asked to do a Dogs for the Deaf presentation in November to the Florida State Good Sam Club at their rally near Orlando. The Good Sam Clubs nationally provide lots of financial support to DFD by sponsoring dogs and projects. So I have to work on my speech.:eek:

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Training with Scooter is going well. Last weekend was three hard days of work with the trainer. Then 3.5 days of jib work, then we were off for the weekend again. Scooter handled it well.

Wd have a lot more to do, but he shows signs of listening and behaving well.

We were in Walmart on Saturday, in the self -checkout line, when an imposter pit-bull started reacting to him by barking and carrying on. I told Scooter to leave it and down and he did! Got an approving look from a couple of employees as the other one hurried away.

This afternoon, we stopped at my friend's house, who has his litter mate, and Scooter was his playful self with his brother. Not much control there, but they've been playing since the start.

Take care everyone!

Wexler hates puddles too!! What's up with these water dogs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Well we just got the OK to keep Sutter for an extra 3 months and turn him in in February. We have alot of fundraisers coming up and we didn't know how Orson would be doing. So we asked if we could keep Sutter for 3 more months. We are hoping that we will be in the team training class in February. Orson is still doing fine. He is slowing down a bit more and the tumor has gotten a little bigger. But he still wants to work.

Great news on Sutter! Think about Orson often. It's hard not to dwell on their physical problems.

We have been so busy! Got our apartment painted and they put in new floors instead of rugs. Wexler absolutely HATES them. We feel bad as he's slipping and sliding. We bought an area rug for living room and some small indoor/outdoor rugs for certain places, like around the bed so he can jump up without killing himself. New blinds today! Can't wait.

We have been so busy! Got our apartment painted and they put in new floors instead of rugs. Wexler absolutely HATES them. We feel bad as he's slipping and sliding. We bought an area rug for living room and some small indoor/outdoor rugs for certain places, like around the bed so he can jump up without killing himself. New blinds today! Can't wait.

Hope the floors are easier for John's chair. Raylene slips and slides on our flooring too, especially when she's excited leading me to a microwave noise in the kitchen, going at high speed, and then has to stop and Sit At Sound. Those front paws keep sliding out from under her.

We were in Walmart on Saturday, in the self -checkout line, when an imposter pit-bull started reacting to him by barking and carrying on. I told Scooter to leave it and down and he did! Got an approving look from a couple of employees as the other one hurried away.

Good Boy, Scooter! Doesn't it make you feel good when you get positive input from other people on the dog's behavior?

You are doing great, Barb. I remember when I first had Raylene, I'd be nervous about taking her places. But like anything else, the more you do it, the more routine it becomes. We had breakfast at First Watch (Florida-based restaurant chain) yesterday, and she was such an angel, just settling under the table never to be seen again. She's really come a long way from our early restaurant training days.

Today is the first early voting day in Florida! We were in line when the polls opened.

Have a great, safe trip Aunty Roz!

Just as well you don't live here - it's rained every day at some point each day for the last week, and today it rained ALL day. Frizzy hair, tell me about it!!!

Well, today we had a wee tea party to say good bye and good luck to our latest pup to head off to training school - Michelle. So we had 5 dogs in the house this afternoon, one each! LOL! Michelle is a sponsored pup - a local supermarket raised money in memory of a colleague which was a lovely thing to do. I first met Michelle when she was all of 8 weeks old and Aruba had left the week before to head to "school" but I turned up at puppy class (hoping I wouldn't cry when anyone asked me how I was - DKD you will know that feeling!) and Michelle's puppy walker took one look at me and said "you'll be in need of a puppy cuddle then" and thrust Michelle into my arms. There's nothing like a puppy snuggle when you're feeling a bit down! Michelle's puppy walkers are "retiring" now, Michelle is pup number 7. But I was good, I didn't cry today, I just gave her a big hug and lots of back scratches! She's got a funny little habit when you stroke her back, she loves it so much, she slides down and down and she ends up standing on her head, bum in the air! :eek:

Their last dog is now a working guide dog with a lady who adores her and can't imagine life now without her - you know DKD we teach them not to get on the furniture, beds etc., well this dog has her own sun lounger! :D. I guess she doesn't live close to here!

Happy weekend everyone!

I'm home, what a trip. It rained every single day. The trees were magnificent with color [so different than Southern Ca., where our trees may or may not change colors all the way!]

We stayed in a lovely hotel along the Willamette River which flowed heavily every single day.....unbelievable beauty.

Nobody carries an umbrella in Oregon, it's just one more thing to lug around. They're oblivious to the rain....

Fairbourne, you're getting very good at this Puppy Raising thing. I know it tears at your heart.....but, what you're doing is creating miracles for the rest of us.....THANK YOU!!!