Airport/Cruise port Transfers

Misty_Que

We are going on our first river cruise and looking for recommendations for transfers. Do you recommend taxi? Private or shared shuttle? Was hoping to find a cheaper option as it is quite expensive through the cruise line.

Will be needing the following as we are doing two cruises back to back:

• CDG Airport in Paris to the river cruise port
  • Paris river cruise port to the train station
  • Frankfurt river cruise port to the airport

Two questions that you need to answer first:

What line are you sailing? Viking docks in Le Pecq not in Paris proper. Most other lines dock near the Eiffel Tower.

Where are you heading from the Paris train station? Paris has many train stations. The direction of your travel will determine which station you need. (If you use loco2.com and put Paris (any station) as your departure point with your endpoint it will tell you what station you would be departing from.)

Also, note that docking areas are not comparable to ocean cruise ship ports.

Two questions that you need to answer first:

What line are you sailing? Viking docks in Le Pecq not in Paris proper. Most other lines dock near the Eiffel Tower.

Where are you heading from the Paris train station? Paris has many train stations. The direction of your travel will determine which station you need. (If you use loco2.com and put Paris (any station) as your departure point with your endpoint it will tell you what station you would be departing from.)

Also, note that docking areas are not comparable to ocean cruise ship ports.

Yes I should have been more clear. We are cruising on U by Uniworld so I assume they dock where Uniworld docks? After the Paris cruise we are taking the Thalys train to Amsterdam where we will catch the Rhine cruise again on U and ends in Frankfurt.

Yes I should have been more clear. We are cruising on U by Uniworld so I assume they dock where Uniworld docks? After the Paris cruise we are taking the Thalys train to Amsterdam where we will catch the Rhine cruise again on U and ends in Frankfurt.

From what I have heard, Uniworld docks near the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Someone else will likely confirm that. I too assume that U by Uniworld would dock in the same place.

The train to Amsterdam leaves from Gare du Nord.

You might want to take a look at rome2rio.com to see what your choices are for transportation. It gives you time for each option as well as prices, and might guide you to what you want to do.

Double check with U regarding transfers. Is it the private transfers are pricey, or that transfers are not included at all? The reason l ask is that Uniworld includes transfers from the airport to your ship on the day of embarkation. After that, at the end of your cruise they take you to the airport for your flight home. In some cities the train station is connected to the airport so you could be creative with your 'flight' home.

Have a wonderful vacation and please do a review here when you get back.

RB

Thanks. U by Uniworld does not include any transfers and they are quite pricey to reserve through them; which is why I am looking for alternative options. I will check out the website.

When I looked on a mapped it out, it looked as though it was a short 10 minute walk from the train station in Amsterdam to the river cruise port. Is this correct?

There are a number of docking locations in Amsterdam. Most are really just behind Central Station. There are other docking locations a bit further out.

By the way, book your train as soon as possible, there are only a limited number of cheap tickets and prices only go up over time.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

...We are cruising on U by Uniworld so I assume they dock where Uniworld docks? After the Paris cruise we are taking the Thalys train to Amsterdam where we will catch the Rhine cruise again on U and ends in Frankfurt.
UniWorld has docked (anything is subject to change) at Quai André Citroën in the 15th arrondissement. It is between the Javel and Gare du Pont du Gariliano RER C stations; 5-10 walk from either or from the Javel metro. If you can handle your luggage you can catch RER B line from CDG for 9.25 Euro (subject to change), change to RER C at Saint Michael - Notre Dame, get off at Javel and it is downhill (literally) from there. More CDG - downtown suggestions at http://www.gowithoh.com/en/guide-paris/airport-transport/

The Parisian Metro system is so diverse that you can easily travel to the dock yourself. You just need to work out where your ship will be docking. Your T/A or Uniworld should be able to let you know noting that as with all cruises, this is subject to change till he very day!

Google Maps or download one of the Paris Metro apps onto your phone.

Agree about the Paris Metro, RER, etc. We haven't used a cab in Paris since our first visit. The RER from the airport is easy to get and quite convenient, and cheaper than a cab. Of course, we travel light - with at most one rollaboard and one backpack each. If I were cruising out of Paris, I'd definitely use the RER to get from the airport to the ship, and the ship to the train.

Amsterdam - yes, if Uniworld docks in the same place where we did (2014, not U), you can practically see the ship from the train station. But as others have pointed out, there are outlying docks in other locations which are not walkable. Make sure you have the ship's number so you can find them.

Frankfurt - There are S-Bahn trains from Frankfurt Central Station (called Hauptbahnhof; Hbf) to the airport. We've used them before, and they are quick, convenient, and inexpensive. I can't tell you how far they are from the river boat dock though, because we didn't visit Frankfurt by river cruise. I have heard that river boats dock by the Iron Bridge; in that case, it's less than a mile to the Hauptbahnhof. There are U-Bahn lines and a tram line closer to that location that would cut your walking distance substantially. We started on a tram from the far edge of town, beyond the river docks, took that to the Hbf, and changed to the S-Bahn to the airport all on the same ticket.

AFAIK it's the same price ticket to the airport from wherever you start in the center city. The ticket machines were easy enough to use. In fact I am pretty sure that the ticket machine had a quick order option of "ticket from here to airport" or something like that, so it was fairly foolproof. ;p

Thanks. U by Uniworld does not include any transfers and they are quite pricey to reserve through them; which is why I am looking for alternative options. I will check out the website.

When I looked on a mapped it out, it looked as though it was a short 10 minute walk from the train station in Amsterdam to the river cruise port. Is this correct?

While many ships dock near the Amsterdam train station, we take the short cab ride instead of walking:

1. Walking casually and schlepping bags are two different experiences.

2. The entrance to the station is on the other side of the terminal, making it a longer walk than it looks.

3. The roads around the terminal are designed for vehicles, not walkers, so sidewalks are not in the best locations, if present at all.

4. The weather may not be cooperative at the time of disembarkation.

5. You've just completed a wonderful cruise. Why dilute it with a potentially unenjoyable walk to the terminal?

Cabs are relatively cheap vs. "cost" of the issues above.

Treat yourself well.

While many ships dock near the Amsterdam train station, we take the short cab ride instead of walking:

1. Walking casually and schlepping bags are two different experiences.

2. The entrance to the station is on the other side of the terminal, making it a longer walk than it looks.

3. The roads around the terminal are designed for vehicles, not walkers, so sidewalks are not in the best locations, if present at all.

4. The weather may not be cooperative at the time of disembarkation.

5. You've just completed a wonderful cruise. Why dilute it with a potentially unenjoyable walk to the terminal?

Cabs are relatively cheap vs. "cost" of the issues above.

Treat yourself well.

I disagree with #3. The sidewalks are wide and very pedestrian friendly. Just do not stray onto any pathway that is red or red brick or faded red. That is for bicycles and they rule, no oops, hands, or butts. There is an entrance to the train terminal on the waterside (back) of the building.

The real issue is where the ship will dock. Usually Uniworld has a prime spot, but only time will tell if U will have the same status.

RB

There are entrances on both sides of the station.

We are going on our first river cruise and looking for recommendations for transfers. Do you recommend taxi? Private or shared shuttle? Was hoping to find a cheaper option as it is quite expensive through the cruise line.

Will be needing the following as we are doing two cruises back to back:

• CDG Airport in Paris to the river cruise port
  • Paris river cruise port to the train station
  • Frankfurt river cruise port to the airport

Hi & have a great time

For Paris Uber (in town). We used Blacklane limo- a little $ but very good, on time, helped with luggage etc.

Haven't done Frankfurt-would google car service Franfurt.

Enjoy

Carole