Christmas on NCL (specifically the Gem)

Avril

I'll be on the Gem for both Christmas and New Years 2018/2019, can't wait!! [emoji3] I've been on NCL for New Years before but never for Christmas. What sort of activities, events, parties, etc will they have on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I was onboard the MSC Divina for Christmas 2017 and they had a Tree Lighting Ceremony in the atrium and we sang Christmas Carols, a Traditional Christmas Dinner (turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, etc), on Christmas Eve they read The Night Before Christmas and sang more Carols in the atrium, Santa visited the ship on Christmas Day, they had a Midnight Mass, and some holiday related games/activities on the pool deck. Does NCL do the same (or close to it)? Also, how many formal nights (I know they're optional on NCL but I like dressing up for them) will they have for a cruise that includes both Christmas and New Years? We will be in port (from 4pm-10pm I think) on Christmas Day if that changes anything. Thanks!!!! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone 7 using the Cruise Critic App

That would be disappointing (especially if they didn't do anything)!! [emoji25] Why, do they not care (or think they're passengers don't care) about Christmas? I didn't think what MSC did was over the top at all.

Is the Gem sailing out of NYC for that cruise? If yes the one time I cruised on the Gem out of NYC there were people from all sorts of backgrounds that I would guess do not celebrate Christmas so I doubt it will be that elaborate. That said I did cruise on the Pearl one year the first week in December and they had some decorations including a gingerbread house display. Don't know what they did on the actual holiday.

we were on Gem over NYE and it was amazing. Teh whole ship was a party, the atrium was all decked out with a massive gingerbread display from Christmas. there was a big balloon drop at midnight, even the captain came and partied in Bliss! The best part, si midnight ship's time was 11pm in NYC, so we celebrated all over again an hour later (1am ship time, midnight NYC). they served a nicer meal in the MDR on NYE too.

i know when i was on board for Easter they inquired as to whether there was a priest on board to say Mass (there wasnt). So i would assume that Christmas would be teh same thing.

Yes, we were on The Dawn last Christmas and they made a huge deal! Tree Lighting, Christmas Carols, Santa reading stories, Gifts and pictures for all the kids. I loved how so many families dressed in matching Christmas PJ'S and waited in line to meet Santa Christmas morning for pictures and a gift from Santa! By far my favorite cruise!

Yes, we were on The Dawn last Christmas and they made a huge deal! Tree Lighting, Christmas Carols, Santa reading stories, Gifts and pictures for all the kids. I loved how so many families dressed in matching Christmas PJ'S and waited in line to meet Santa Christmas morning for pictures and a gift from Santa! By far my favorite cruise!

Sounds great!! [emoji3]❤️ I have Christmas themed outfits (a couple dresses, shorts, ugly Christmas Sweater, bikini, etc) from my Christmas cruise last year that I'm going to bring on this one as well. It just adds to the fun!! Where did you sail out of? Someone a couple posts ago said they might not do all that on sailings out of NYC because there are many onboard who may not celebrate Christmas. Which is fine by me (it's great to be inclusive and respectful of everyone), I just want to be prepared and have a better idea of what to expect.

We've done Xmas and New year out of Miami a couple of times... decorations, Christmas tree in the Atrium, crew carol concert, various Santas, some drinking cocktails (i.e. passengers). Undoubtedly some religious services somewhere but they wouldn't let me near that... ;)

NYE - mega (and I mean mega) party on the pool deck, ice sculptures, dancing, big countdown, Captain Stig's giant horn at midnight, free champagne, and the crew letting their hair down too which was also a lot of fun...

Whole ship has an even happier 'buzz' than normal.

Doing it all again this Xmas/NYE!

Oh my goodness. I hadn't thought of taking a Christmas outfit on my cruise but I am def packing some now!! I am doing an Australian/New Zealand Christmas & New Years cruise this year and am so looking forward to it. Although we celebrate Christmas day as a family (20 + of us) its become kind of like a regular get together with a BBQ & I am on the hunt for some extra Christmas spirit! Christmas carols and decorations and smiles … am starting to get excited however I am travelling on my own for this Christmas cruise (cant quite persuade anyone else in the family to try something new) and am a bit nervous as I am not sure how many people travel on their own at Christmas but I am sure it is going to be a wonderful experience

Only did one Xmas cruise on Epic. Everyone was wearing Santa hats and they had carol singing along with all the decoration. Highlight for me was the movie A Christmas Story in the Atrium on Xmas eve. Its been a tradition in our house to watch it every xmas eve. So that was pretty cool. They had popcorn too.