Solo cruising? Locks on luggage? Random first time questions

LittleMissS

Okay so I'm not a big traveller. This summer I will be travelling abroad (1st time...not a cruise), and was told that I was NOT allowed to lock up my suitcase. I thought I could use the TSA approved locks. Am I wrong? Help!

Also...I've been reading severla threads about cruising, and a few people mentioned that they like to do solo cruises. How does that work, in terms of paying for the cabin? Is it double? Can someone please explain to me?

Thanks in advance for your help!:D

You can (and should) use ANY kind of lock you want, but DO lock bags that are not in your hands!

I don't care WHAT they say about locking bags...no one has a right to have access to my stuff without me being present....and no--I don't put anything of value in there...but they are ALWAYS locked...with a keyed lock!

It's not so much someone taking something from my bags...but what if someone puts something IN there...you never know! Lock them.

Cabins are priced based on 2 in a room...so solo travellers will basically pay the same (or maybe just a bit less) than 2 in a cabin would. So, yes...figure on double the per person price. It could be less, depending on cabin and dates!

Thanks cb at sea. I too was shocked when I read the pamphlet that was sent by the tour group about locking your baggage. That's just not right. I had (and still do) plan on buying locks for all of the little pouches in my luggage!

Cruising solo - This is what we call single suppliment. Depending on the cruise line, you will pay anywhere from 125% - 200% . You would only have to pay docking fees and taxes for one person. I've done it with an inside room. Cabins are basically priced with the expectation of having at least two occupants. There are some new ships coming out where they will be catering to the solo cruise and no suppliment tacked on. I believe this new trend will be very popular.

I also have fluorescent tie wraps that I use for flying. I have heard that many times even the TSA will cut off TSA approved locks. So, we tie wrap the bags when flying and lock them before we get to the pier. :)

Julieann...can I use the fluorescent ties first, then take them off and replace with a lock? I have not flown in a really long time, so I'm not up-to-speed on luggage check in or anything like that. BUt there is NO WAY that I am comfortable NOT locking my luggage.

Hi LittleMissS

I always lock my cases and I have been travelling overseas 3 or 4 times a year for years. A little tip for the baggage claim - if you have a black or navy suitcase - so do hundreds of other people - make it easier to identify yours by booking on a bright coloured or unusual luggage tag on it or wrapping a coloured ribbon around the handles. I used to have red and green tartan ribbon on my black smasonite duffle bag as I got fed up of not being able to spot it easily. Now I have bright red cases but they are now getting popular - may have to go for fluorescent yellow or orange next time!

As for solo cruising, I've done it 7 times and plan 2 more this year. On the line I use, you pay 80% extra for inside and outside cabins and 100% for balconies and suites. that said they do offers from time to time ( as do other lines) where they wave the single supplement completely. My last trip to South Africa and my next one from Brazil for example. seems that the longer voyages at off peak times this is more likely. however if you are looking for a week in the caribbean at Christmas or in the med in August - that is simply not going to be available.

there is a forum on here for solo cruisers and an actual thred posting all the latest single supllement deals people have spoteed or taken advantage of. (It is under the Special Interest section)

I know I am in the minority here, but personally I do not believe in locking a suitcase (at least one with a zipper). A locked, zippered suitcase is no more difficult to open than an unlocked suitcase with a zipper. A zipper can be easily pried open with an object as simple as a pen in the same amount of time that it takes to unzip an unlocked suitcase. IMHO a locked suitcase advertises that there is something of value inside without making it any more diffiuclt to access.

And to those who say they lock their suitcases to prevent people from putting anything inside, a lock also does you no good there. Not only can a locked suitcase be easily pried open, it also can be easily resealed after being opened.

A locked suitcase is no more secure then a locked letter. The lock does nothing to prevnet someone from opening it up!

But wouldn't a person be more likely to choose an unlocked bag to steal something from rather than one with a lock? Think like a criminal for a minute. You need to be quick, and get what you want and get out. It sure takes longer to fuss with a lock and get something than it takes to just unzip a bag and steal. Struggle with a lock, unzip, steal, leave. With a lock, it's open the lock, unzip, steal and leave. A criminal will always go with an unlocked bag before a locked one.

But wouldn't a person be more likely to choose an unlocked bag to steal something from rather than one with a lock? Think like a criminal for a minute. You need to be quick, and get what you want and get out. It sure takes longer to fuss with a lock and get something than it takes to just unzip a bag and steal. Struggle with a lock, unzip, steal, leave. With a lock, it's open the lock, unzip, steal and leave. A criminal will always go with an unlocked bag before a locked one.

A lock advertises valuables inside and does not make it more difficult to open the suitcase. You do not need to fuss with or even touch the lock. You just stick a pen into the zipper, and the zipper separates and you can pull the suitcase open. No extra time. No extra effort. It takes the same amount of time as opening an unlocked suitcase. While locking a suitcase may keep a casual, inexperienced criminal out - it may be a magnet to a more experienced criminal.

My own personal experience of 30 years overseas travel is that I've never had anything stolen form my locked case. i know customs officials keep stocks of all major brands padlocks and can get in to any case they want. however that is a different matter from any random baggae handler getting in to it. My brother on the other hand was robbed by airport staff. he went to the Czech republic for a weekend. On the way out, he was allowed to take his relatively small bag on as carry on luggage. however on the way back, the airline insisted he had to check it in. he argued but it was that or don't go home. he didn't have a lock for it. as a result he lost his Raybans and hid digital SLR camera, as well as a few other things besides. personally I think he was stupid to leave his camera in his bag and not just because of the unlocked bag - but because of the way they throw bags around. if they hadn't stolen it, it no doubt would have been in bits anyway.

Archived