Military dress uniform for formal night?

HMinshall

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Carnival Triumph, next week before his next deployment. Is it acceptable for him to wear his military dress uniform for formal night (what do they call it, cruise elegant?)? I love seeing him in it, but worry it might offend/upset others on board?

Great question. I had just asked this on another part of the board and just now read it here! . I love formal pictures with Dh in full uniform :) Sounds like the price of pictures on the cruise are about the same as the ones you have the option to buy at our military formals so won't be too hard to swallow the price at least!

Absolutely have him wear it! My husband and I went on a cruise last fall as a welcome home from Iraq vacation and it was a blast! He wore his dress blues on the first formal night and got a lot of thanks and handshakes.

We leave for our next cruise on Saturday and we're going with a Marine he works with and his wife. Both men will be wearing their blues for at least 1 formal night. Besides looking great, it beats having to buy a suit, lol! Gotta love using something you already own. Plus he only gets to wear it once a year at the Marine Ball, it's nice to get a little more use out of a uniform that costs $500+.

From one military wife to another, have a fantastic time on your vacation. It will be a great way to make some good memories before he leaves.

Yes, wear it....and thank your husband for his service from me please:)

As for being spit on?:mad: Sounds like that person had a personal

problem to me:mad:.

I am betting the soldier had more class in his/her little

finger than that person had in their whole body:rolleyes:

As a Canadian army officer I wear my scarlet mess kit (military formal) on all of our cruises. I'm proud to be a soldier and you should be as well. Just warn off the wife that you will attract a lot of attention, especially from the ladies onboard!

As a Canadian army officer I wear my scarlet mess kit (military formal) on all of our cruises. I'm proud to be a soldier and you should be as well. Just warn off the wife that you will attract a lot of attention, especially from the ladies onboard!

Yeah this normally seems to be the issue when certain military uniforms are worn in a more civilian atmosphere...alot of attention from women folk lol

I think he will look wonderful, a man in uniform is so handsome. I think the vast majority of us do have the utmost respect and gratitude to the men and women serving and protecting our freedom.

Be proud of your husband and tell him that I thank him for his service to us.

I saw someone spit on a soldier once at an airport...not everyone looks to those in uniform with any respect.

That makes me mad. I think that type of action shows disrespect for oneself (the spitter) much, much more than disrespect for the soldier.

I hope your husband wear his dress uniform... with full pride knowing that most US citizens are thankful for his service. :)

Please thank your husband for his service, and also thank you for your dedication as well. I hope he will wear his uniform. I am always in awe of our servicemen and women, and I probably fawn a little too much when I see them, but I would buy you guys a drink if I saw you on the ship. Have a great cruise--you deserve it! Thanks again!

I saw someone spit on a soldier once at an airport...not everyone looks to those in uniform with any respect.

You didn't say when this abomination happened but I'm guessing that it may have been during or after the "Vietnam War" which was very unpopular with the American people, and the returning Soldiers, Sailors and Marines were treated like dirt. As far as I am concerned that was a period in history when we should hang our heads in shame and ask God for forgiveness "they know not what they do". Those men and women gave so much for our country so we could sleep easy in our beds at night, and we who weren't called to arms should be so greatful to them for all their sacrifices. They were and are far better men and women than we are. Ditto for the dedicated men and women who are serving in Iraq, Afghanistan and other outposts today - I admire them more than I can say, and am so greatful for their service to us and our country.

To the OP - by all means encourage your husband to wear his military dress uniform for formal night. Just be prepared, as mentioned before, to have a lot of women (myself included) fawn over him and tell him how handsome he looks. If it offends anyone then they have a very, very serious problem with their own self esteem. I see that he is deploying soon - I wish him Godspeed, you the strength till he returns home safely, and I send you both my love and gratitude.

Valerie:)

Sorry - I just noticed that you were the OP and that you posted the spitting incident. Ignore that - the spitter is some deluded soul. The returnees from the Vietnam War were treated so shabbily that I still am embarrassed to say that I grew up during that time. Best wishes to you and your husband and have a wonderful cruise.

I asked the same question a while back. Here is my post, and I am wearing my Dress Blues on my cruise next month.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1030140&highlight=dress+blues

Thanks OrdieJ for sharing the link. Despite the fact that I am the daugher of a Royal Air Force officer and the widow of a U.S. Naval officer I also had never heard of or seen the silent thank you shown on UTube. You can bet that from now on I will be sending my silent thanks every time I run into someone in uniform.

Of course there will be days when I will be worn out since I have retained some of my husband's benefits and am able to shop at MCAS Miramar, which is only about 3 -1/2 miles from my home, and where I am surrounded by Marines (and the occasional sailor) but the effort will be well worth it.:D

Valerie:)

:) We had a Marine officer and his Korean bride on our Mariner of the Seas

South American Cape Horn cruise last Jan. ---- They looked so elegant --

his wife wore her "traditional wedding gown" which was gorgeous ---- they

turned heads everywhere they went.

Definitely wear your dress blues --- you have my thanks and admiration.:)

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Carnival Triumph, next week before his next deployment. Is it acceptable for him to wear his military dress uniform for formal night (what do they call it, cruise elegant?)? I love seeing him in it, but worry it might offend/upset others on board?

DH has worn his and I don't think it offended or upset anyone, please tell him to wear it and wear it proudly. Enjoy your cruise and tell your DH thanks :)

yes!!! Please wear that uniform. Our sun is now a DAV fro Iraq, and every chance he gets, he wears that uniform.

Now comes the biggest question/Poll.. WHO has the best dress uniforms? (he he)!

The Marines get my vote. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I know that your cruise is over, and your husband is in our thoughts and prayers as he does his part to keep our country free and safe. I hope that he wore his military dress uniform and wore it proudly! I have a quick story about wearing uniforms on a cruise.

In 1994 we went on our first cruise and my DH wore his Air Force mess dress on the first formal night. From across the room, overlooking the tower of champagne glasses, we spotted another couple, the man in his AF mess dress. We went over and introduced ourselves, then spent the rest of the cruise hanging out at our Caribbean stops. After the cruise we kept in touch through letters and pictures. Six years later the Air Force sent us to Illinois, and who do we run into at Costco but the couple we had met on our first cruise! They had also moved to Illinois and we spent the next four years with our two families getting to know each other and becoming good friends. We have since moved again, and are many miles apart, but we see each other often and spend whatever time we can enjoying each other's company. Our families have actually been on three cruises together since 2004! :D

Good friends - good memories - and all because of a military uniform! :)

Archived