Best cruise line for Alaska?

Gertie17

Best varies by person because what one person thinks is best another person might not care for.

We begin when it comes to Alaska with the itinerary or itineraries that we are most interesting in and then work backwards from there to figure out cruise ship/cruise line.

Keith

If you read thru the trip reports posted above, you'll find that everyone was pretty happy with their cruiseline/ship. The major lines are more alike than different. The most common complaints are about port times, ie 7am - 1pm in Ketchikan doesn't leave much time for any planned activities. So as you look at itineraries, be mindful of port times. And what amenities do you need? a covered pool ? a naturalist on board?

There's no one answer. You need to find what works best for YOUR priorities.

We have done HAL, Royal, Disney, and Celebrity in Alaska. One way southbound, out of and into Seattle, out of and into Vancouver. Have done prime time and both shoulder seasons. All good trips.

Weather, good versus bad, can affect the overall enjoyment of the trip if you let it! The key is to be prepared for almost any weather - wind, rain, snow, and even sun. I sincerely believe a person's attitude will make or break any cruise, especially Alaska.

The real key is to carefully research your trip, including the ports, time in ports, types of excursions desired in the ports, if any. If this is to be your one and only ever trip to Alaska, definitely add a land tour of interior Alaska if you afford it. Decide what you want from the trip to the 'Great Land.'

HAL and Princess likely get their awards for including Glacier Bay. Do seek out ships with Glacier Bay for your first visit to Alaska.

HAL includes 7 day return sailings that includes the South Inside Passage when sailing to/from Vancouver.

Edited by xlxo

Best varies by person because what one person thinks is best another person might not care for.

We begin when it comes to Alaska with the itinerary or itineraries that we are most interesting in and then work backwards from there to figure out cruise ship/cruise line.

Keith

I agree completely!

Add to the mix, EVERY sailing is different. I find sometimes, reports suggest that what they experienced is typical, consequently it can't be further from the truth.

I will always suggest, doing a through look at the ENTIRE itinerary. and I find, simply limiting yourself to just "Glacier Bay", perhaps shooting yourself in the foot, by prematurely eliminating some excellent cruises. You may find, some of those strong recommendations are from people who have not experienced ALL the glacier areas multiple times.

It can be advantage to be open initially.