Change Occupant or Add Later

I'm going to book my mother-in-law a stateroom on a cruise my family is taking next summer. She is not sure if she wants to invite someone to share her stateroom or just go it alone. From researching, it seems that it would be better to book a second person and drop them than to try to add one later (because of lifeboat rules). Anything I should know about dropping or changing an occupant later on? Price changes, penalties, etc? Thanks.

There is an option to book as a TBD. I don't know the exact restrictions on it, but I joined a cruise last Dec and Sept when the original person put TBD. You will have to pay deposit for two.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm going to book my mother-in-law a stateroom on a cruise my family is taking next summer. She is not sure if she wants to invite someone to share her stateroom or just go it alone. From researching, it seems that it would be better to book a second person and drop them than to try to add one later (because of lifeboat rules). Anything I should know about dropping or changing an occupant later on? Price changes, penalties, etc? Thanks.

You would have to cancel the 2nd person before final payment date to avoid penalty.

Still confused - what does that have to do with cancelling the second person - there's no penalty to avoid - the OP would have to pay for the second person no matter what, you can't cancel them. The only thing you would get is the taxes back earlier. And changing anything might trigger a reprice. What am I missing?

Still confused - what does that have to do with cancelling the second person - there's no penalty to avoid - the OP would have to pay for the second person no matter what, you can't cancel them. The only thing you would get is the taxes back earlier. And changing anything might trigger a reprice. What am I missing?

Nothing, my mistake.

Anything I should know about dropping or changing an occupant later on?

Leave everything alone (assuming you booked with TBD for the second person) - you can change the second name up till the day before the cruise. If you don't get a second person, just have them be a no show - don't call to cancel the second person, too much of a chance RCI screwing up something. You'll get the taxes back for the second person about a week after the cruise.

If there is a BOGO 50% and you book with a TBD that never appears, sounds like this would be more economical than just booking solo or am I missing something? Would RCI then charge named passenger the entire solo supplement?

If there is a BOGO 50% and you book with a TBD that never appears, sounds like this would be more economical than just booking solo or am I missing something? Would RCI then charge named passenger the entire solo supplement?

I believe they take into account the fake BOGO promo when computing the fare for a solo. In other words, the fare for a solo would be the same as the fare for two.

I believe they take into account the fake BOGO promo when computing the fare for a solo. In other words, the fare for a solo would be the same as the fare for two.

I see. Creative bookkeeping at is best. Thanks.

The rare sub 200% solo supplement even seems to have disappeared from the GGG flier.

Though the strategy might be different for those D+ (340 points+) members that get 150% solo supplement.

Yep. I ran it for her as a solo and with a second passenger and I think solo was less than $100 cheaper.

We had 4 cabins on the eastbound TA on FOS in 2017. I booked for 2 knowing that my daughter probably couldn't go but rather safe than sorry. It turned out she couldn't go. I just showed up solo. No questions asked and I got the taxes, port charges and prepaid grats that I paid for her back to my original for of payment after the cruise. Another friend's roommate bailed less than 48 hours before the ship sailed. She didn't want to sail solo so she started calling every retired person she knows because not everyone can just drop everything and go on a 14 night cruise with less than 48 hours notice. She actually found someone, called Royal the morning of the day before the cruise and had the name changed with no problem. The problem came when the "friend" started complaining about everything. By the time we reached Barcelona the original person wished she had sailed solo.

Nothing, my mistake.

Hey Bob, to clarify, is the point that as long as you cancel prior to the Final Payt Date you get back your entire fare for a refundable fare versus a non-refundable fare?? No "penalty" is charged in either case???

Hey Bob, to clarify, is the point that as long as you cancel prior to the Final Payt Date you get back your entire fare for a refundable fare versus a non-refundable fare?? No "penalty" is charged in either case???

Assuming you are booked under US/Canadian rules, if you cancel a cruise booked with a refundable deposit before final payment date, you get all your money back. If you booked with a non-refundable deposit and you cancel before final payment date, you lose $100 per person and the remainder of the deposit turns into a future cruise credit that must be used within a year.