Cruising with Fibromyalgia,etc

molly5673

I'm only 40 and I have fibro. Our 1st cruise was on the itty bity Monarch. I still had to nap a lot and I know my husband missed out on some things. We are planning for our 20th anniversary in March 2014 on the Freedom. Looking at pics of this ship have me terrified. It's the 7 day western Caribbean. All those ports, the size of the ship ugh! I'm trying to lose weight before the trip so that will help some. Anyone else cruise with illnesses like fibro? How do you cope? How do you keep your spouse from missing out on things that you can't do? We won't to renew our vowels at one of the ports. I can't mess that up. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let your spouse do things on his own, if you are unable to do what he wants! Or, if you are able, go with, and take photos...something NOT strenuous.

When you have a condition that limits you, you'll have to make adjustments to your together time.

As far as the vow renewal, you can check the "weddings at sea" boards, or just find a nice spot, and say your vows to each other. You really don't have to spend a bunch of money to renew your love for each other.

Thanks it's just hard to feel so bad and only being 40

We want to get off in Falmouth cause that will be our actual anniversary and just ask a local if there is a small church somewhere and we will ask someone to do it. Nothing fancy.

I too suffer from fibro. I have been on two cruises on freedom class ships I didn't have any problems getting around the ship. We renewed our vows on the Indy lady year. It was wonderful. If money is not a big issue, RCI is very accommodating! It sounds like your fibro is quite severe. Relax on your cruise! Let the sun and warm caribbean air give you some relief. Are you on any medication for it? Is the medication causing you yo be tired? I go to a holistic Dr and I take only natural remedies. No side effects.

There are TONS of wedding chapels in Jamaica. A really cute one right at Duns River Falls. If you need a suggestion for a guide, let me know.

Sorry for your Fibro ... I'd also suggest your DH do more on his own or with other people that are on your cruise.

I am 44 and have fibro.

I try to go into the trip as rested and healthy as I can. So 4-6 weeks ahead of time I make sure to not overcrowd my schedule and get plenty of rest.

This past November I was having an awful flare when we cruised. I spent a lot of time resting. Sometimes my husband came back to the room, and sometimes he kept doing whatever it was he was doing.

What is helpful for me is to have reasonable expectations of myself. We only did one excursion...a 6 hour catamaran sail. It was lovely, but I learned too long for me.

The other islands we planned beach days. We had 5 ports. By the 5th one, even the beach day was going to be too much for me, so we headed to the port shopping for about an hour and then spent a lazy day at the pool. It was a lovely day.

So I plan low key, expect to rest and nap, and try not to cram too much stuff into the day. I also plan the week after our return to be low key and nothing scheduled...if possible. This last time that wasn't possible.

I hope you have a fabulous trip.

I have multiple medical conditions including rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia and I use crutches to walk and I am not over the hill yet either!! Although my family probably think I am teetering on the top of it :D

Anyway, a cruise is the perfect vacation for you as you can do as much or as little as you like. It is always good to try and get a cabin near the elevators so you are not exhausting yourself just by the walk down the corridor. I also book a cabin with a balcony so if I am feeling tired I can just sit and get some air on the balcony. I travel at different times with both my husband and my daughter. There are times when I feel I need a lie down and if I have to miss something or a port then that is just the way it is. I always tell them to take lots of photos so I can enjoy it on their return.

As you know with Fibro, it is all about pacing yourself. Take things steadily, try to plan ahead on the activities you really want to do and rest in the meantime. At the end of the day it is your holiday and you have to get out of it as much as you can. The rest and the sea air is a lovely way to spend a week relaxing which will do your fibro no end of good.

Enjoy :)

Thanks it's just hard to feel so bad and only being 40

We want to get off in Falmouth cause that will be our actual anniversary and just ask a local if there is a small church somewhere and we will ask someone to do it. Nothing fancy.

We renewed our vows on our first cruise. We did it on a sea day. We had room service for dinner and renewed our vows then. It was really sweet and special.

I think this has more to do with you and your spouse discussing what to do together. I am the healthy part of a couple (DH has severe neuropathy) and he would rather sit around the room and veg. At first I would try to force him to do things as I didn't want him to "miss out" on anything. He has miserable and was driving me nuts. He insisted on me leaving him and slowly (after many years) I have gotten used to it. For the most part I am like a solo traveler during the days and we spend our evenings together.

Maybe just relay to your spouse that you are ok with them going out all day alone and not to check in on you or feel guilty.

I still feel guilty....but he is truly happy when I am happy traveling.

Cruising is our perfect compromise....there is so much for him to do (or not do) onboard and meals are close by. During the day I get to go crazy touring.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm 28 and I have Fibro too. Going on my first cruise this year and I was worried about over taxing myself and ruining my mothers holiday. I felt that I rather ruined her last hol last year to Venice as I wasnt able for how strenuous it was (our apt was up like 60 stairs to begin with). I still struggle to accept that I can't do all the things a normal person my age can.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Forums mobile app

I am 26, was diagnosed with FMS at 18 and have also suffer from migraines since I was 8. I have taken 3 cruises so far, all on Allure! My first cruise was tough. I was on the largest cruise ship in the world and had no idea what to expect. I had a long haul flight and then 3 nights in Fort Lauderdale. I suffered very badly with the jet lag and by the time I got to the ship all I wanted to do was sleep, I was totally exhausted. I tried to do too much the first few days and by day 4 of the cruise, I exhausted myself so much I had a horrific migraine and was very ill. The rest of the cruise I missed out on even more because I was then forced to take everything very slowly. I was travelling with my mum and was insistent that even if I was not up to doing something that she still went if she wanted to - I didn't want her to miss out because I wasn't feeling brilliant.

Roll on cruise 2 and 3, both done on my own and 3 months apart. I learnt major lessons from cruise 1 - I pre-booked all the excursions I wanted to do. I ensured they were short trips; no more than a few hours and nothing but the easy ones as described by RCI. When I got compasses, I highlighted what I wanted to do and ranked it as to how much I would kick myself if I missed it. That way if I was tired and wanted to do something during the day but had something I wanted to do more later on, I would skip the day activity in order to rest and go to the one later on. For some unknown reason I had a huge flare after cruise 2, so cruise 3 was my recovery cruise where I did very little!

I have a 14 night transatlantic later this year. Luckily I have a week at sea so that I can really rest and relax because the 2nd week is much more port intensive and the flight home will take it out of me. I am looking forward to the gradual time adjustment of the days getting longer as I do find the sudden time change can be a lot for me. Again, I have my excursions booked as short and easy ones and will do very little in between... I may find the strength for a cocktail or two though... ;)

Have a wonderful cruise :)

I'm only 40 and I have fibro. Our 1st cruise was on the itty bity Monarch. I still had to nap a lot and I know my husband missed out on some things. We are planning for our 20th anniversary in March 2014 on the Freedom. Looking at pics of this ship have me terrified. It's the 7 day western Caribbean. All those ports, the size of the ship ugh! I'm trying to lose weight before the trip so that will help some. Anyone else cruise with illnesses like fibro? How do you cope? How do you keep your spouse from missing out on things that you can't do? We won't to renew our vowels at one of the ports. I can't mess that up. Sorry for the lengthy post.

I was diagnosed with RA at 5. I will be 46 next Tuesday. I am in wheelchair part time. I get tired easily, cannot walk much at all.

the number one thing is..I let my husband go and do stuff that he wants to do without making him feel guilty for leaving me alone or resenting that he does. he has done multiple shore stops without me when I wasn't up to it. he hits all the trivia games, the piano bar guy and the occasional show.

I'd leave your vowels alone. the consonants might get jealous.

Low-carb/high-fat (no trans-fats) diets help reduce or eliminate the inflammation for most people, and you can do this type of diet aboard. There are plenty of choices for people trying to avoid the inflammation and pain, so you'll have no problems finding food that works for you. There are lots of books and web sites with tips for avoiding inflammatory food while eating out, and most of these tips will apply aboard ship as well.

The great thing about a cruise is that everyone can do their own thing. So if your husband wants to do one thing, while you soak in the hot tub or relax in the solarium, that's fine. He can do excursions or rock climbing, etc. while you catch up on some reading or just relax.

I don't know anything about fibromyalgia so can not help. My husband has bone cancer and tires easily so for our cruise in August we will be renting a scooter for him to use.

Would renting a scooter help you?

Fibromyalgia is a form of arthritis and can be quite painful/debilitating.

I am 49 with Fibromyalgia and was diagnosed shortly after our son was born 11 years ago. This will be our 3rd cruise and 2nd on the Indy! I love it and really don't find the size of it all that daunting... just take it slow ... no rushing (or trying to rush) to get from one event to the next ... totally agree with the comments suggesting you seriously consider what activities/ports you absolutely have to do. My husband and son know not to question if I'm not feeling up to a particular activity on board and off they go! I do find I am much better in the daytime so tend to turn in early. We travel with another couple so hubbie does have company on those pub crawls. The warm Caribbean sun will do wonders! Enjoy.:)

Goldgirl2 I'm on gabapentin and an anti inflammatory. I have good days and bad days. I usually have flares the 1st week I start back on my birth control pills. I've heard there could be a connection.

There are TONS of wedding chapels in Jamaica. A really cute one right at Duns River Falls. If you need a suggestion for a guide, let me know.

Sorry for your Fibro ... I'd also suggest your DH do more on his own or with other people that are on your cruise.

Patty, I would love any details you could help me with. Thanks.

Patty do you know the name of the chapel?

I don't know anything about fibromyalgia so can not help. My husband has bone cancer and tires easily so for our cruise in August we will be renting a scooter for him to use.

Would renting a scooter help you?

I am too proud to get a scooter. I feel like their is someone out there worse then me so I'd feel bad

Hi Molly5673, I have read all the thread and decided to mention a suggestion that might be helpful. I am full time in an electric wheelchair, but have seen and made friends with many that just rent a scooter for the cruise, this way you'll make no effort going from one place to another on the ship. You'll save a lot of energy!

Herb :confused:

As I was typing (one finger) phabric made the same suggestion, and I read your answer.

Sorry to say that you should consider you are on vacation, want to have the best possible time and you should look to/use all things that will make things possible for you.

I was very independent until diagnosed with IBM - a degenerative muscular disease - now I depend on help and it took long but I learned how!

Get a scooter!

Herb :confused:

Kiddo, I don't have any underlying health problems to speak of, but the cruise is MY vacation too. Some may see it as a chance to participate and explore, but for me a cruise is mostly an opportunity to relax and regenerate. I never nap at home, but I do it regularly on a ship. If my travel companions want to do something while I'm napping or on my balcony reading, I figure they're grow ups and can decide what they want to do… and then they do it. Whether I'm traveling w/ a friend or a significant other, they've participated in shipboard activities AND excursions… with and w/o me and no one ever thought twice about it.

Please don't feel guilty. Look at it this way, if it were your DH w/ the fibro and you didn't have it, you wouldn't want him to feel guilty for needing to rest. And you wouldn't resent it that he needed to rest.

I think you're being harder on yourself than you need to be. We tend to have a lot less patience w/ ourselves than we'd have with our loved ones.

Kiddo, I don't have any underlying health problems to speak of, but the cruise is MY vacation too. Some may see it as a chance to participate and explore, but for me a cruise is mostly an opportunity to relax and regenerate. I never nap at home, but I do it regularly on a ship. If my travel companions want to do something while I'm napping or on my balcony reading, I figure they're grow ups and can decide what they want to do… and then they do it. Whether I'm traveling w/ a friend or a significant other, they've participated in shipboard activities AND excursions… with and w/o me and no one ever thought twice about it.

Please don't feel guilty. Look at it this way, if it were your DH w/ the fibro and you didn't have it, you wouldn't want him to feel guilty for needing to rest. And you wouldn't resent it that he needed to rest.

I think you're being harder on yourself than you need to be. We tend to have a lot less patience w/ ourselves than we'd have with our loved ones.

You are exactly right. I am very hard on myself. Always have been